Vapor Recovery Tank, Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bsevans

Focus on the Journey
Threads
I've had to replace two of these tanks because the tube on the plastic tank cracked over time due to vibration or whatever. I decided that this time I would see if an Aluminum recovery tank could be used. All the Aluminum fabricators that I talked with said their standard tank was made from 3" OD tubing. With that said, I designed a tank that I was sure would fit in the space on my 78 FJ40. The pictures pretty much speak for themselves.
Vapor Recovery Tank 01.jpg
Vapor Recovery Tank 02.jpg
Vapor Recovery Tank 03.jpg

Last edited:
Additional photos
Vapor Recovery Tank 04.jpg
Vapor Recovery Tank 05.jpg
Vapor Recovery Tank 06.jpg

and more
Vapor Recovery Tank 07.jpg
Vapor Recovery Tank 08.jpg

As you can see from the last photo, the mounting tab had about .5" of overlap. When I had the unit made, I told them I would install the mounting inserts. I thought about trimming the excess. My table saw had my H-Frame hydraulic press on it and just did not feel like moving it.
I used a small C clamp to mount the new tank so I could find the "sweet spot" for clearance. I marked the holes and drilled and installed the inserts.

Man,that is sweet.This must be one of those twilight zone things because I just pulled in the garage and saw I had left a trail of fuel.It's coming from theTube that appears to be a vent that is hard ine and tucks in to the formed peice of the tub.

vent

Man,that is sweet.This must be one of those twilight zone things because I just pulled in the garage and saw I had left a trail of fuel.It's coming from theTube that appears to be a vent that is hard ine and tucks in to the formed peice of the tub

.[/quote

the laws must be really tuff in oz.. good luck jim :grinpimp::beer:

Nice work! Most people don't think it's important to keep the evaporative emissions system, especially when they de-smog.

Anyway, :beer: for a good-looking fix for an out-of production part.

Nice work! Most people don't think it's important to keep the evaporative emissions system, especially when they de-smog.

Anyway, :beer: for a good-looking fix for an out-of production part.

Here in Tucson, AZ you cannot desmog a 78 FJ40 because you will fail the visual inspection (EGR, Air Rail, etc). I'm not sure what impact removing the smog equipment has on emissions testing.

Did you do the tig work? Nice bead.

Nope. Oval Craft in Georgia made it to my print. They did not meet the tolerances in two places, but it did not affect the usability.

Here in Tucson, AZ you cannot desmog a 78 FJ40 because you will fail the visual inspection (EGR, Air Rail, etc). I'm not sure what impact removing the smog equipment has on emissions testing.

What smog EQ are you running with? I'm only running with a charcoal canister I have not problem passing my 78.

Todd

What smog EQ are you running with? I'm only running with a charcoal canister I have not problem passing my 78.

Todd

I have the Fed Spec smog equipment that came on the 8/78 FJ40. I have never failed emission testing (I’ve been close a number of years). I have 21 years worth of emission test records. This year was the first that the 40 was tested with the new vapor recovery tank. The vehicle passed the first idle test with readings so low that I did not have to re-test at 50mph. Initial idle test readings were; HC, 29ppm out of a limit of 250ppm and CO, 0.07% out of a limit of 2.00%. These are the lowest readings for HC and CO that have been measured at initial idle since I’ve owned my 40. The air filter, plugs and timing were not touched from last year’s tune-up for the 2007 emission testing. I did change from Castrol 20W-50 to Chevron Delo 400 LE (API CJ-4) 15W-40 which I also run in my turbo diesel. I did rebuild the carb a number of years ago, except for the primary jets which are larger, everything else is to factory specs for gaps and angles.

Another great idea. Could one tie in an auxillary tank into this? I also at times get overflow from my extra tank, I believe it is due to expansion.

I have my aux tank tied into the bleed line coming out of the top of the recovery tank. In order to eliminate any liquid fuel in the line I have another custom aluminum recovery tank, shorter in length, in the rear wheel well above the aux tank that lets only the gaseous fuel pressure bleed off to the charcoal canister and factory tank. It has a ¼” fuel line coming out of the top to the vent line in the front vapor recovery tank and a ½” fuel line on the bottom of the rear recovery tank that drains into the ½” vent line on the rear aux fill tube. This has reduced the pressure buildup in the rear tank and still meets the emission test requirements. The use of a gas cap that vents is illegal and will fail the yearly inspection as they test your fuel cap to see how well it seals.

Nice work, for sure. Extreme overkill, maybe. I along with probably a few dozen others have posted these pieces for sale on ebay with no bids with a one dollar start. Supply and demand? Apparently not much...no slight on your work, not at all, it's super nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom