Valve adjustment shims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ryan details the reason exactly. Nowadays I’d just machine what I needed.
It felt strange to me to machine shims when they are still available in different sizes. But I will happily admit that you guys know more about this than I do.

Thanks for your help.

It felt strange to me to machine shims when they are still available in different sizes. But I will happily admit that you guys know more about this than I do.

Thanks for your help.
only because its a time thing sometimes. Banging out a specific shim is no biggie. Its literally just a round puck.

Thanks for your help.
According to my local stealership, only every other size is only available (maybe less). Luckily, my most critical one; which was the thinnest, was available. All the others, I went up or down to the closest available. Worked out better than I expected. Only took a few days to get them. If you desperately need one that you can't get, PM me for the size, I may have it.

They are highly polished.

Nyet

image.jpg

I was gonna say, what’s highly polished? The packaging ? 😂😂😂

How would you describe the finished surface then?

20220205_204523.jpg

20220205_204514.jpg

The three not in a bag are so shiny its hard to photograph them. Look closely, you can see my finger prints on the shiny surface.

They are extremely flat. Seem to be coated or anodised?

I have new/unused OEM shims that look the same as the pics above, and used ones that absolutely have a mirror smooth surface on them, with remnants of whatever finish Toyota have on them.

The new ones are finished to a very fine/smooth surface finish.

I wondered if they are coated, anodised, nitrided?? To prevent rusting, but I have used one that had been in my spares collection for 10 years + without a spec of rust on them

Yo mud! Not sure what you have in the stash but the qty 10 I posted are fresh from Toyota Japan 1/20/22 built to order JIT.

Question for the hive mind: if starting with a new Toyota head, new Toyota valves, and new Toyota springs, would there be much variation in the thickness of new shims needed to set up the head??

Or to put it the other way around, what size shims would someone order ahead of time if new shims were going to be used in the scenario above?

Question for the hive mind: if starting with a new Toyota head, new Toyota valves, and new Toyota springs, would there be much variation in the thickness of new shims needed to set up the head??

Or to put it the other way around, what size shims would someone order ahead of time if new shims were going to be used in the scenario above?

You would need to assemble the head. Measure and order shims to suit.
If you were starting completely fresh, have a selection of shims of different sizes so you have a baseline to measure clearances with, and calculate from there.
Then order what you need.

Yo mud! Not sure what you have in the stash but the qty 10 I posted are fresh from Toyota Japan 1/20/22 built to order JIT.

The ones in the bag are unused.
The three laid out are used, and mirror shiny.

There's little difference in the smoothness of new ones and shiny used. It's like a coating has been rubbed off the used ones

My question is if machining and grinding your own, how practical/realistic is it to produce the same super smooth finish, and in the same material.
A lower quality grind/polish is gonna have a negative impact on cam lobe wear

Roger that. Just wondering if anyone has started from scratch building a head with all new components, what they found was needed for shims? I would assume there might be less variation in the shim sizes needed??

When my new short block and head were assembled in Sept 2020, we were able to reuse the majority of the old shims on the new head. I think only 2-3 new ones were needed in my case.

With the shim thickness only being 0.05mm or ~0.0019" and the specs being:

Intake: 0.15 - 0.25 mm (0.006 - 0.010 inch)
Exhaust: 0.25 - 0.35 mm (0.010 - 0.014 inch)

There isn't a huge amount of variance. I think a lot of it would come down to valves being worn, valve seats being worn and cut deeper, etc. On a OEM fresh head with all fresh parts you would likely fall between 2-3 shim sizes.

@rc51kid just curious if you're adjusting them just as PM or you noticed some tapping in the valve-train or rough running etc.

I'm just asking since I heard it was pretty rare for them to go out of clearance on this motor unlike the 3fe or 3rz, though maybe they run smoother or get better mpgs with regular adjustment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom