Valve adjustment shims (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@rc51kid just curious if you're adjusting them just as PM or you noticed some tapping in the valve-train or rough running etc.

I'm just asking since I heard it was pretty rare for them to go out of clearance on this motor unlike the 3fe or 3rz, though maybe they run smoother or get better mpgs with regular adjustment?
I will be checking them and adjusting if needed as pm. But I want to have everything ready before ei open it up I cluding new gaskets and so on.

I know it sounds wasteful but I just realized that I could buy 1 shim in every size for under $200. It be excessive but it would mean 1 or 2 day job even pulling the cams assuming I dont need 2 of the same size which nm i dont right now.

I checked my valves and i only have 1 exhaust that is tight. So worst case scenario i will need 1 shim in a different size. I have been working with the oem tool but my stupid ass just cant get it to work well enough to get that shim out.

I think I might pull the cams in a few weeks but I dont want to have the truck down for the length of time it would take to order the proper shim. $200 is worth it to me to have it on hand.

Besides, maybe when I am done I can sell the new shims ( minus the one I used) and oem tool as a set. It would be a handy "kit" to have around. Maybe recover half of what I have in it.

I know it sounds wasteful but I just realized that I could buy 1 shim in every size for under $200. It be excessive but it would mean 1 or 2 day job even pulling the cams assuming I dont need 2 of the same size which nm i dont right now.

I checked my valves and i only have 1 exhaust that is tight. So worst case scenario i will need 1 shim in a different size. I have been working with the oem tool but my stupid ass just cant get it to work well enough to get that shim out.

I think I might pull the cams in a few weeks but I dont want to have the truck down for the length of time it would take to order the proper shim. $200 is worth it to me to have it on hand.

Besides, maybe when I am done I can sell the new shims ( minus the one I used) and oem tool as a set. It would be a handy "kit" to have around. Maybe recover half of what I have

Besides, maybe when I am done I can sell the new shims ( minus the one I used) and oem tool as a set. It would be a handy "kit" to have around. Maybe recover half of what I have in it.
pulling the cams isn't really difficult (follow Otramm/FSM, of course). In fact, I wouldn't do it any other way. There is a strong possibility that you can do a swap of shims and not need to get a new one, this is more likely if the tight one is really close to being in spec. The nice thing about pulling the cams is that you can examine each shim for its thickness and evaluate if a simple swap is all that's needed. Also, you will likely be able to move some around to get them towards the center of the specification (I know, I'm a little too picky :meh:) When I did my rebuild there were too many that were off that swapping only helped on a few. And, I had one that was so tight I couldn't be sure what size it would take. I got lucky and ordered the thinnest one available and it landed right in the middle of spec. All told I needed to purchase a little over a half dozen. My local stealership got them in two days, which I think isn't too bad. If you decide not to order all of them and your local dealer is slow, etc. shoot me a PM of what size you need. If I have it, I can send it to you in short order.

Good luck and keep us posted with your results.:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom