Value of my 1979 BJ-40 Land Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone!

I bought a 1979 BJ-40 Land Cruiser while living in Costa Rica last year. I'm now setting up in Phoenix.
I've been looking through the forum but don't see a lot of comparable Diesel 40s.

Any thoughts on what I should be asking (ballpark) for it?

Thanks!

4x4
Recently re-painted. The little rust that existed before has been removed.
AC added.
Turbo added.
Tires one year old + one spare.
Snorkel added.
New battery.
New starter relay.
Shocks one year old.
Recently rebuilt fuel pump + fuel injector.
Does not have power steering.
Runs great. Road ready. Looks mint!

5fa7aa03-358e-456b-abc6-9727d226d0d5.JPG

444d4437-0ea2-4cd5-ac07-b76ca91cb0dd.JPG

4187ef0b-e065-476b-9726-cd47c821c46f.JPG

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.31.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-08 at 12.32.04 PM.png

$12,000 to $17,000 for a new untrained 40 buyer without seeing more details. Maybe? Maybe less?

Positives because of rare diesel and maybe little rust?

Negative because of rare diesel and Brandon diesel prices, have you done United States title transfer, front doors aren't 1979 and don't appear to fit correctly, mud green and black rhino lining paint is not "mint" as you've listed, looks militia and limits buyer market, no heater or emissions, no roll bar, pull knobs missing, jump seats appear to need overhaul, no dash pad, no headliner pad, wheels aren't OEM and take off the bumper led lighting.

Look on US websites such as www.bringatrailer.com, www.ebay.com. Also make sure engine, frame and body VIN numbers match.

Looks nice enough, but Central/South American trucks have a bad reputation up here.

Helpful, thanks and "mint" is an expression when describing physical appearances.
Many on ih8mud won't see this as mint in physical appearances....

Keep in mind this is a forum where people know these truck inside and out. They can and will spot every out of place part down to the wrong hose clamps. Saying something is mint is only asking for it to be picked apart. Your truck will appeal to a lot of folks but It isn’t close to mint and as has been said above, in this crowd a South American “resto” that hasn’t been done to a very high standard doesn’t hold much value. There are rigs on this forum at all stages of restored, driven or barely held together and the guys that drive them wil be brutally honest about the condition yours is in.

Not a 79 tub and bib , probably 77 or 78

not knowing the world market, here in the US the 40's made and sold up to DEC 1978 were sold as 1979 models, the change over to the newer body style was Jan 1979 also sold as a 1979. so it really depended on what month the rig was made, if it was a true 1979 or not.

I like the drier vent tubing for the intake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom