Use 200 series as a mobile office? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went up skiing today and was drooling over some sprinter van setups in the lot. I work from home with a lot of flexibility and am pondering setting up my LC to work from the parking lot between runs. Thinking I would need a second battery to run starlink plus some sort of laptop and second monitor stand, preferably that is easily removable when the family joins me on the weekends…perhaps using the third row with the second row folded up?

Has anyone done anything similar?would love to hear your thoughts/see pics.

thanks!

Following

I normally sit in the second row so the charger can reach the outlet in the back. Would love to see some mobile office set ups

I'm not an expert in this area but think about it often.
Already have a 100 ah lithium battery in my truck that I use to power the fridge and the MiFi.
Been considering the starlink unit for internet and adding an inverter for laptop charging.

dark tint. Sounds like tweaker bait to me. And yes, I have been robbed in the ski resort parking lot.

I worked out of my 200 quite often in 2021 as I was working pretty much 24/7. I made it work, the back seats are good in my LX but space is limited for a desk, and I never could get the ergonomics where I wanted it.

I used this set up for powering my lap top/phone/…. I have 600w of solar, but could operate for a weekend off just the battery, and the battery charges off the 110 outlet. If I was just supporting work (and not one of my dometic fridges) off the battery I didn’t bother with taking the panels. I now use this to power my Starlink.

I used an old “tv tray” that I bought at goodwill as a desk. Gave it to a buddy since but looked something like this.

MIIRR Foldable Lap Desks for Laptop, 23.6 inch Portable Bed Tray Table, Laptop Desk for Working, Writing and Eating (Black) https://a.co/d/dvK9SpX

Also I considered buying something like this but never did.

LAPGEAR Home Office Lap Desk with Device Ledge, Mouse Pad, and Phone Holder - Espresso Woodgrain - Fits up to 15.6 Inch Laptops - Style No. 91575 https://a.co/d/8dAsg0U

I imagine you can fabricate some turning table to use on passenger seat that has one leg bolted on the floor inside the console, through the cup holders space. My Volvo had an accessory on that idea but the leg was bolted to the side of the console/tunnel. Some police cars have a similar thing for the driver to access a laptop like device.
That will give the best ergonomics as you can then adjust your position by moving the front seat.

When I work between runs at the ski resort I tend to just grab my laptop and headphones and work from the bar (with a privacy screen over the monitor) using the lodge’s WiFi.

I’m more curious as where you find a job that works remote between ski runs. In all seriousness.

I’ve always been a hands on employee, recently stepping into GM position. But have wondered about how to create income without being physically present.

I’m more curious as where you find a job that works remote between ski runs. In all seriousness.

I’ve always been a hands on employee, recently stepping into GM position. But have wondered about how to create income without being physically present.
Just a data point…my career 1999-2021 was all onsite in manufacturing for large med device firms…mfg engineer to eng mgr to supply chain to ops site leadership and then multisite. Transitioned to a remote role in strategy with the same employer in 2021. Felt ungrounded for a while. Lots of travel and virtual work. Ditching a regular commute was a huge bonus. I typically work from home, but have worked from the hangar (a lot), or sitting on a ramp somewhere between flight legs, or at a campsite or Airbnb. It’s a different world now.

Just a data point…my career 1999-2021 was all onsite in manufacturing for large med device firms…mfg engineer to eng mgr to supply chain to ops site leadership and then multisite. Transitioned to a remote role in strategy with the same employer in 2021. Felt ungrounded for a while. Lots of travel and virtual work. Ditching a regular commute was a huge bonus. I typically work from home, but have worked from the hangar (a lot), or sitting on a ramp somewhere between flight legs, or at a campsite or Airbnb. It’s a different world now.

I cut my teeth as a technician at my family buisness. (Full service automotive/ light diesel) Now I’m in the general manager roll, and a few years away from taking over. It’s not something I could ever do remote, and I love what we do. Some days it’s more than you bargained for but that’s part of 17 employees and countless customers through the door every day.
I just always wonder what could be out there if I ever do retire early due to some unforeseen circumstances. Freedom to travel at 50 would be amazing, especially if I can bring some money to the table while doing it. Technology has definitely made remote work much more accessible.

My role is focused on helping senior executives at Fortune 100 companies understand changing technologies, their impact on their business, and how to transform their business models and organizations to take advantage. Almost all of my trusted advisor work is virtual/remote and has been for a very long time. Given the spread across time zones, from Europe to the US west coast, i have a lot of flexibility to do pretty much whatever I want personally.

I cut my teeth as a technician at my family buisness. (Full service automotive/ light diesel) Now I’m in the general manager roll, and a few years away from taking over. It’s not something I could ever do remote, and I love what we do. Some days it’s more than you bargained for but that’s part of 17 employees and countless customers through the door every day.
I just always wonder what could be out there if I ever do retire early due to some unforeseen circumstances. Freedom to travel at 50 would be amazing, especially if I can bring some money to the table while doing it. Technology has definitely made remote work much more accessible.
What finally convinced me that I could master remote work was that one of the plants I picked up right at the start of COVID was OUS but even with travel restrictions I was able to effectively run the business from the San Francisco plant and ultimately from home.

Building relationships with colleagues without in-person interaction is different but rewarding. I can point to a number of smaller acquisition sites in our network where the operations team is run remotely so I know it is viable, though not without challenges.

The skills you gain as a GM in a small business can be highly transferable to consulting, or a PM/BD role in a larger org.

Tweaker bait = expensive looking stuff that begs the less civilized folks to smash and grab.

Yes, board and gear stolen in the Eldora parking lot.

I work from the truck often. Drive to the trails, morning shift online, get in a nice lunchtime mountain bike ride, and then finish the afternoon before heading home. I keep a camp chair and table in the truck. WiFi from a 5G hotspot. Power from the Dometic battery that runs my fridge. The biggest trick is picking a parking spot with a nice view from under the tailgate that’s also in deep enough shade to keep the glare off of your screen. Also good noise cancelling headphones for conference calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom