Builds URJ150 Peridot Prado Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Beautiful job. When you get a chance if you could give us a breakdown of the rear door conversion cost I'm sure many would be interested.

Beautiful job. When you get a chance if you could give us a breakdown of the rear door conversion cost I'm sure many would be interested.
And vendor links also!

Thank you…and yes, absolutely.

Let me figure out this spoiler and interior and sit down and get everything together. 👍

And vendor links also!

Im trying to get a container together and save on shipping. I will keep everyone updated and probably open a separate thread to see where the interest lays.

View attachment 2731757

Best I can do.

This door uses the same hinges as our OEM door - same shock as well. I didn't snap any pics, but if you look at your door - it's IDENTICAL. 🙃

It seems strong. Doesn't struggle, holds itself open. Seems good. 🤷‍♂️

The Aussies have been running these rear doors with 33s and even 35s for years. I trust it!

Thank you. Should be strong enough to hold my 265/70/17’s then. :D Did you post the cost of the parts somewhere? I cannot remember if you did or not. Not only do I want this for my 460 my wife wants one for her 470. Trying to gauge the cost vs benefit over just building a spare rack in the back.

Conversion has been fun to watch!!
Thank you! Lots of fun to do and share.

Thank you. Should be strong enough to hold my 265/70/17’s then. :D Did you post the cost of the parts somewhere? I cannot remember if you did or not. Not only do I want this for my 460 my wife wants one for her 470. Trying to gauge the cost vs benefit over just building a spare rack in the back.
Rear door is around $1600... which is about on par (or less) that other 5th wheel solutions. The MetalTech Rear Bumper with swingout is in the neighbor hood of $2200.

This is so very impressive!
🙏

Sorry if I missed this in the thread - is the front quarter panel usable with the prado facelift, or did you have to swap that out too?
Yep! Fenders forward - hood, bumper, lamps, grille, etc, etc

That rack is very cool
Thanks! Can't say enough good thing about Gamiviti / @nakman.

Soooo, the rear door is more or less a wrap.

Couple take away's...

1) It's a 95% bolt on. The big stuff, like hinges, shock, spoiler, wiper, etc transfer over.
2) The rear defroster wires need to be extended / wired in. Different plug, different locations. Move em, or lose em.
3) The interior panels do NOT transfer over. Bit of a bummer as I would have preferred to keep the two tone of the Ecru interior. But, everything has gives and takes. I can live with the black panels that were included.
4) A 33in tire, or more specifically, a 285/70/17 FIT. Just barely... but they fit. Anything larger needs a spacer or adapter. I’m debating stepping up to a 35 - if so - I might try to make a cool angled bracket.
5) I decided to relocate the camera up to the 3rd brake light location. There are other options for mounting, but no other way to keep it centered as far as I could tell.
6) I had to Dremel two holes for the lock / unlock buttons. I put them on the side of the license plate frame thingie on the tire side. I’d probably do them on the opposite side next time. To interference from my current size tire, but larger might be an issue. Not sure.
7) I love it. No regrets at all.

Ok. Here's some pics from the All Toyota Of the Midwest (ATOM) car show this past weekend. I was invited to be inside along a very cool Prado LJ78.

IMG_0374-1.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0381-1.jpg

Last edited:
Couple other asides...

I managed to get my brake rotors and pads installed (StopTech Slotted). However, I haven't had a chance to install the brake lines / fluid yet. Feels better than it was (rears were chippy) - but nothing overly dramatic. I am actually kinda excited it went the way it did with install, now I'll be able to tell exactly what the brake lines / fluid does (or doesn't) do.

I also got the Dobinson Lift Kit installed. It's the 2.0"/1.75" - but the rear still seems a bit higher than the front. Hoping it will balance out. Overall, it's a nice feel, pretty well mannered on the street, although the steering feels a bit 'floaty'. Not sure if that'll tighten up with alignment or it's just an attribute of the lift.

Ok. Time for the obligatory 'out in the woods' shot. 😆

IMG_0466.jpg

Soooo, the rear door is more or less a wrap.

Couple take away's...

1) It's a 95% bolt on. The big stuff, like hinges, shock, spoiler, wiper, etc transfer over.
2) The rear defroster wires need to be extended / wired in. Different plug, different locations. Move em, or lose em.
3) The interior panels do NOT transfer over. Bit of a bummer as I would have preferred to keep the two tone of the Ecru interior. But, everything has gives and takes. I can live with the black panels that were included.
4) A 33in tire, or more specifically, a 285/70/17 FIT. Just barely... but they fit. Anything larger needs a spacer or adapter. I’m debating stepping up to a 35 - if so - I might try to make a cool angled bracket.
5) I decided to relocate the camera up to the 3rd brake light location. There are other options for mounting, but no other way to keep it centered as far as I could tell.
6) I had to Dremel two holes for the lock / unlock buttons. I put them on the side of the license plate frame thingie on the tire side. I’d probably do them on the opposite side next time. To interference from my current size tire, but larger might be an issue. Not sure.
7) I love it. No regrets at all.

Ok. Here's some pics from the All Toyota Of the Midwest (ATOM) car show this past weekend. I was invited to be inside along a very cool Prado LJ78.

View attachment 2738114
View attachment 2738118
View attachment 2738117
View attachment 2738120
Got an picture of how the rear view camera image is now? I feel like that would be a great spot for it

Are there significant differences to the rear doors for 2010-2021? I am wondering if you could use the door on any of these models? Will it work with the standard GX bumper?

Got an picture of how the rear view camera image is now? I feel like that would be a great spot for it
Yes. I will get this for you. Sit tight.

Are there significant differences to the rear doors for 2010-2021? I am wondering if you could use the door on any of these models? Will it work with the standard GX bumper?
No significant differences that I know of. Only guess I would have it something with Toyota Sense (or whatever Lexus calls it). Should work with the standard GX bumper. I see no issue with that.

This is nothing short of inspirational...if you get a kit of what you replaced and can start shipping them over I have a lot of thinking to do. Well done--absolutely love all of the effort and more the result of what you've done here

Looks awesome, great job! Also interested in the rear view camera. Can you also get a close up of how you mounted it? I’m getting a hitch tire carrier and will need to relocate it.

Been loving everything about this build. This is true Detroit ingenuity. Keep it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom