URGENT: Oil Filter Leak!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.behance.net
Hello everyone. I'm supposed to leave early Sunday morning on a trip in the HJ45. Just did an oil and filter change. When starting up the HJ, oil leaks from the oil filter where the gasket is. I put on the new gasket. Tightened, did it again. Still leaks.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about leaving the true gasket on, but also putting on a bead of gasket compound. I noticed there was some on the edges when I took it apart.

Any ideas for replacing this PIA oil filter setup with a modern screw on filter?

I figure if I can get the gasket and gasket compound to work, I can drive it, order the modern filter upgrade, and swap it out during my next oil change.

I seem to recall that your centre bolt was a bit fangled.. is it possible that it's too long to apply even pressure to the gasket?

Or maybe there was a washer on it that got lost?? Or the bolt got bent??

Does the filter housing feel tight? I assume that you can get access to torque it down sufficiently now the AC pump is gone?

I guess you do what it takes to go on your trip. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge/idiot light.

Sounds like to me someone wrench down on the cover/lid and bent the unit or they got really into scraping the sealing surface with a hardened scraper. Depends on the damage you might be able to straighten or flat file the surface.

There are remote filter assemblies - you might need to make an adapter to fit your application

I seem to recall that your centre bolt was a bit fangled.. is it possible that it's too long to apply even pressure to the gasket?

Or maybe there was a washer on it that got lost?? Or the bolt got bent??

Does the filter housing feel tight? I assume that you can get access to torque it down sufficiently now the AC pump is gone?
Yeah it feels like it went on tight.
Upon removing the housing I noticed the gasket/o-ring is split.
Only remedy I can see for now is getting some gasket compound/silicone and using that with the old rubber o ring.

I guess you do what it takes to go on your trip. Keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge/idiot light.

Sounds like to me someone wrench down on the cover/lid and bent the unit or they got really into scraping the sealing surface with a hardened scraper. Depends on the damage you might be able to straighten or flat file the surface.

There are remote filter assemblies - you might need to make an adapter to fit your application
Oil pressure gauge doesn't work.

I will have to look for a remote filter assembly. Do you know if one is built for this vehicle-or universal?

On my 72 the oil pressure gauge was erratic. I bought a direct read unit and made a clamp on the steering column mount to hold it. I removed the oil pressure sending unit and screwed in my new oil line. From the back of the gauge to the other side of the fire wall I ran the skinny nylon oil line inside a 2+ foot long piece of fuel hose - If the oil line broke or came off the gauge I would not be getting a face or lap full of hot oil.

I have a Franz filter unit I'm going to install on my FJ. The current filter unit is "remote" as in it has a oil line in and one back to the engine.

On my 72 the oil pressure gauge was erratic. I bought a direct read unit and made a clamp on the steering column mount to hold it. I removed the oil pressure sending unit and screwed in my new oil line. From the back of the gauge to the other side of the fire wall I ran the skinny nylon oil line inside a 2+ foot long piece of fuel hose - If the oil line broke or came off the gauge I would not be getting a face or lap full of hot oil.

I have a Franz filter unit I'm going to install on my FJ. The current filter unit is "remote" as in it has a oil line in and one back to the engine.
That is great to know. Will be looking into that.
THANK YOU!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

Sometimes when you're under stress and everything is happening at once, you miss the obvious.

I contacted one of my fellow I4WDTA instructors (I've been away from it for some time due to life, but am updating my certification this coming week). It wasn't five minutes before I got a call and help.

They said to put some vaseline or grease on the O-ring mounting point to hold the O-ring in place . Also, to hold the oil filter container steady as I tightened so it would not spin.

This is when I realized what had happened previously, which was my fault:

While installing the oil filter container, I had misaligned it slightly and the O-ring had a piece cut off; thus the oil spillage. This time it almost happened again: the filter felt installed, but I suddenly felt it shift. I quickly backed up on the bolt, carefully aligned it, and re-tightened.
Went in super smooth and....

NO LEAK!!!

A good extra benefit: I noticed coolant dripping pretty substantially from the engine right behind the oil filter mount. I'm talking about three drops per second or so. Traced the leak to those panels on the side of the engine, under the exhaust manifold-the one to the front, actually. The bolts fastening those panels were all loose enough to turn with no effort for about a 3/4 turn. Tightened them slightly and the leak stopped. Not sure if they need more torque-but I will look for that later.

Looking at the negine, it seems the oil pan gasket is in need of replacement, because there seems to be a good amount of leakage. Still, when I changed the oil I retrieved enough oil to fill up two empty Rotella gallon jug to the point that they spilled over, with about a cup of oil or so still to go. I think the previous oil change was overfilled. I will check the oil level sometime tomorrow, as I put two of those fresh gallon jugs into the engine, but lost about a quart of oil from the leak.

Thank you guys for your help and quick response as well!!!

BTW... since you have the EDIC, I think you should also have an oil pressure switch which will shut down the engine if you lose oil pressure.
That should keep your motor safe at least. Or strand you at the side of the road, depending on your point of view ;)

Thanks for the help everyone.
Even though I got the oil issue resolved, I took the FJC.
Final call was based on the trip being five hours of driving at regular road speed. At a 38-40 MPH top speed, it would have been about 8-9 hours of driving, not counting the stops for fuel, eating, rest. Just not worth it.
I am still working on getting it right and will post a new thread about my dilemma-to see if anyone has any good ideas.

Again, thank you all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom