URE WorkDay Sat June 16th 9:00 AM Hunt Camp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fourtrax

SILVER Star
Threads
Update:

Hi Everyone – I know it’s been a while since we had an OHV work day. The next one is on Saturday, June 16th – that is Father’s Day Weekend. We’ll meet at 9 am at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp & then head out to do the projects. CNC 4x4 has received a grant to provide lunch for everyone that day. We’ll plan on having the lunch at the Art Lilley Campground/Trailhead at 1 pm. I flagged out several projects this past weekend while I was patrolling the trails on Saturday. There is some information we need to know from the clubs for this to be a success.

1. Will your club be coming and eating the lunch provided by CNC 4x4?

2. Will anyone with a truck that can haul rock to armor trails be there to work with us & if so how many trucks? I need to know if there will be trucks available to haul the rock or not.

3. Does anyone have a dump trailer that can be hauled safely on the trails to move rock and will they be able to be there? I need to know if there will be trailers available to haul the rock or not.

4. Shawn Conver from CNC 4x4 needs to have a headcount by Friday, June 8th so that he can get the food and drinks purchased and they can work on their logistics for the lunch. Please send your RSVP to Shawn’s email at: tsconver@gmail.com. Please let him know what club you’re with when you RSVP to him. If the club contacts / liaisons could reach out to their members & then just send one headcount per club to Shawn’s email address that will help out a lot. Thanks a lot.

Here’s the project list.

There are 5 project areas that we’ll be working on. Some of them will be installation of guardrail and No Motorized Vehicle Signs and others will be armoring the trails to provide traction and deal with the very slippery conditions when it rains out there. I have marked all of these with pink flagging & I have them numbered to match the list below.

Site 1: Falls Dam Trail toward the Flatwoods Trailhead – installation of 1 long guardrail with 2 posts & a No Motorized Vehicle Sign @ the hill climb people are trying to make on the north side of the trail.

Site 2: Falls Dam Trail right next to the trailhead – installation of 1 long guardrail with 2 posts & a No Motorized Vehicle Sign adjacent to Art Lilley Trailhead. Vehicles started driving behind the wooden guiderail to drive behind this trailhead.

Site 3: Slab Pile Trail near the Wolf Den Trail end – armor the 1st mudhole.

Site 4: Slab Pile Trail & Sawmill Trail – Armor both trails in this intersection. The most important one is the Sawmill Trail that gets VERY slippery and dangerous when it rains. Need to add more rock to the clay section of the trail to give people traction. Block the short cuts and bypasses once the armoring is done and safety has been addressed.

Site 5: Rocky Mt Loop Trail near the fenced off and rip rapped area – installation of 2 long guardrails & 3 posts and installation of 1 short guardrail and 2 posts. People are driving through the tail ditch in both directions and creating a bypass.

Site 6: Daniel Trail the clay section near the Rocky Mt Loop end – armor this section more. Had issues of people driving out the tail ditches here and creating another bypass.

Please let me know if there will be trucks or trailers there that can haul the rock to the different places or not. Whatever armoring we can’t get done in June I’ll have in the trail maintenance contract. The maintenance contract bids are supposed to be in by June 22nd & we’ll see when I can get them started on the trails.

Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate your help. Bye - Terry

Theresa Stevens Savery (Terry),

MS Forest Resources / Watershed Management
District Recreation Staff Supervisor

Forest Service

National Forests in North Carolina, Uwharrie National Forest

I asked Laurel if we could do this workday for our anniversary on the 16th. She was not a fan of the idea.

Maybe another time.

I plan on being there

I am planning to introduce some friends to URE that day but if it falls through I'll be there for the workday

Wish I could. Going to be at hurricane creek.

Austin and I were planning on coming out to URE that day just to check it out and have a picnic. Would this be something I could have a 5 year old running around the woods with me while I worked or is that a bad idea?

absolutely great idea

Austin and I were planning on coming out to URE that day just to check it out and have a picnic. Would this be something I could have a 5 year old running around the woods with me while I worked or is that a bad idea?
it'll be fine. I bring mine all the time. I give them a trash bag, gloves and bribe them with cash for a bag full of trash.

Myself and one other family member will be there.

I had counted you and Austin as a maybe in the number I gave shawn

Linda and I will be there and I can bring my 5 X 10 trailer with steel tilt bed. It's not what I'd call a heavy duty trailer but I've hauled rock at Uwharrie before with it. I recently had knee surgery so I'm a bit hobbled but I can drive and do some work. And I can definitely eat lunch.

Do I need to pick up a trail pass before showing up at 0900 or is that covered since it's a work day? Is anyone out of CLT Meeting up somewhere to convoy out? I was going to stop at the outfitters shop on my way in.

NO, for your outstanding volunteer efforts you will get a complementary day pass.

i should be there about 9am.

Update for tomorrow. If your running late, head over to Art Lilly parking lot.

See you all there.
Eric

Hi Everyone – Below is our reminder for the work for tomorrow. I was up at Art Lilley around 3:30 or so this afternoon to put signs up and flagging up in front of the guardrail & posts so people don’t park there & I put flagging up to mark the area for where the rock is supposed to be delivered. The rock was supposed to be delivered today and as of now I don’t think it has been delivered. If it isn’t delivered in time then we’ll get the guardrail installation, litter, removal of trees, cutting of brush, installation of stop sign done tomorrow. Remember that CNC 4x4 is providing lunch. We’ll be meeting at the Uwharrie Hunt Camp at 9 am and then heading to Art Lilley and Falls Dam Trailheads to start work.

I have maps of the sites for people to use. Please wear appropriate work clothes, closed toe boots, have work gloves, sun screen, water, etc. for tomorrow. Thanks a lot everyone. I appreciate your help. Bye - Terry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom