Upgrading to 1-tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

But on a serious note, re-tubing a junkyard 60 and adding gears and lockers doesn't seem that outrageous in terms of cost. Am I missing something? As we spoke about, after looking at the cost to do a front 9.5", I could probably do a 60 for almost the same price and end up with a much better axle.
axle: 1000
gears: 300
locker: 1000
install kit: 200
custom inner shafts: 400
35 spline outers: 300
hubs: 300
boring spicer u joints: 100
high steer arms: 200
new bearings, rotors, pads, etc: 300
diff cover: 100

i mean, you're up over $4000 even without some of the more blingy things. Call Chase at ECGS up and see if he can figure out how to get you a 60 built for somewhere in that pricepoint. I bet he can build you one exactly how you want (without all the overhead of sorting out parts and vendors) for $5500.

If you want to make the drive over the hill I can set you up with a guy who can do it all.

axle: 1000
gears: 300
locker: 1000
install kit: 200
custom inner shafts: 400
35 spline outers: 300
hubs: 300
boring spicer u joints: 100
high steer arms: 200
new bearings, rotors, pads, etc: 300
diff cover: 100

i mean, you're up over $4000 even without some of the more blingy things. Call Chase at ECGS up and see if he can figure out how to get you a 60 built for somewhere in that pricepoint. I bet he can build you one exactly how you want (without all the overhead of sorting out parts and vendors) for $5500.

Been giving this more thought over the last few days and I think the option of going with built axles makes sense but I'm not sure I'm ready for the financial commitment.

While I like the 05+ Superduty stuff, a junkyard axle will be more work than it's worth I think. I thought this would be a simple retube but the diff offset and massive center section means I need to go custom length anyway. Looking at @GregS86 pictures after he stripped it clean, no way a tiny tube section like that will work on the passenger side if you flip the tubes. The diff needs to be pushed more towards the center line. And I don't know what Greg is paying but WFO quoted me at least $800 for a retube, and that's if I bring them a clean axle.

When you factor in the cost of new custom inners along with anything else that might need a rebuild, it gets pricey. A lot of these trucks are abused so the unit bearings might need to be replaced. That's another $600.

f4vc6iKh.jpg

Other option is the Chevy K30, but it seems like those are harder to find and getting expensive too. They're old and rusted and most of the stuff will need to be rebuilt. So I'm paying a lot for a housing and maybe some knuckles. I don't know that the offset works well either. I believe you retubed your K30 KP 60 right?

So then I started looking at options for built axles. I started with the sexy option. Hybrid 609 with a True Hi9 third and 05+ superduty one ton outers. No option to convert to 6-lug with 05+ unit bearings so that means I need new wheels. Yes I only factored the cost of 2 new wheels in my chart. This is way too rich for my blood:

uhIizZGh.png

I then looked for a more modest built 60 option with most of the stuff from ECGS. This would include all new parts and custom length shafts for any offset I choose. This isn't fully-fully built by ECGS, but does have the main axle assembly mostly ready to go. I can then piece together the rest of the kingpin stuff to keep the 6 lug wheels. Having to get new wheels is a deal breaker for me as these aren't some cheap steelies I have.

So that's where I'm at so far. Still on the lookout to see if I get lucky with a nice axle from Craigslist/Pirate/FB classifieds but if not, this may be the route I go.

JGCIK7Rh.png

vEQ9eRah.png

How much diff to tcase offset is too much? Just saw this video on flipping a dana 60 to passenger drop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom