Upgrading to 1-tons (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bling axles are cool until you look at the cost.

The aftermarket for 14 bolts and 60s is awesome I mean if you're breaking a trussed 60 with custom inner/outer knuckles and 300m RCVs you're seriously partying. Same goes for a 14 bolt with 40 spline 300m 14 bolt shafts. Point is, you can go a long ways with tons before ever need 2.5 ton or whatever axles. And it's not likely anyone is going to run a full bodied 80 hard enough to ever need anything like that.

i agree. im running a stock 14 bolt, a chevy 60 with chromo shafts, spicer joints, stock knuckles and C's. i beat my truck pretty relentlessly every trip and havent had any issues since going to chromo front shafts. the stock 30 spline outers and factory hubs broke when i was on 37's.

My buddy stripped the axle, took it to the local axle guru in Reno and he flipped it all around for 200$

He's been beating on it a good while now, works awesome. I'm sure there is someone local to ypu who can do the same. Hes got an alignment bar and all that so it's legit.

I agree on retubing the 14 bolt too. I'm a little confused on your original plan but I'd retube it to the offset you need with custom shafts. Or if you can get away with flipping long side short side tubes/shafts thatd be cool too. Cant remember which side is offsey though

It's ghetto but I like the internal-sleeve approach to retubing. The only problem is if the inner diameter isn't constant (the wall thickness seems to get thinner while the OD stays the same.) A short insert, alignment bars, and a bit of creativity woudl make it work, but if I can make the problem go away by paying someone, this may be a good case to outsource.

I think my time has finally come.

You guys have any leads on where I can get an axle re-tubed in the greater Sacramento/Norcal area? I'm thinking of an 05+ Super 60, re-tubed for passenger drop. I don't wanna mess with cutting and splicing myself. My plan would be to leave the rear as-is for now until I have the time and energy to tackle that again. I figure since I'm part time, the difference between 5.29 and 5.38 won't matter for slow speed crawling.

p.s. I hate both of you for the peer pressure and I should have bought a JK.

Last edited:

You guys have any leads on where I can get an axle re-tubed in the greater Sacramento/Norcal area? I'm thinking of an 05+ Super 60, re-tubed for passenger drop. I don't wanna mess with cutting and splicing myself. My plan would be to leave the rear as-is for now until I have the time and energy to tackle that again. I figure since I'm part time, the difference between 5.29 and 5.38 won't matter for slow speed crawling.

Order an axle or two from a builder. Just buy once, cry once. I used ECGS for mine.

Order an axle or two from a builder. Just buy once, cry once. I used ECGS for mine.

If you were to do this again on your 80, how would you spec it out? In other words, WMS and short/long side lengths?

If you were to do this again on your 80, how would you spec it out? In other words, WMS and short/long side lengths?
I'd do the 5.75" passenger offset front and rear to line up with the t case still. Width id probably go 70-71" (slightly wider than mine) to allow proper backspacing on the wheels to avoid dumb scrub radius issues.

Unfortunately you're stuck with 5.38s which are fine for normal people but annoying with the lame a343f

WFO Concepts in Auburn.

Just took a gander at their website. If I get a built axle from them ready to just drop in and start welding links, I'm looking at $8k+. I can do a lot of crying for $8k 😲

WFO Concepts in Auburn.

Thanks! That's just a short drive up the hill. Any rough guess on what a retube will cost from them?

Will there be a discrepancy between wheel bolt patterns in the mean time?

Just took a gander at their website. If I get a built axle from them ready to just drop in and start welding links, I'm looking at $8k+. I can do a lot of crying for $8k 😲
I paid 12 for the Lexus axles. After ARB and gears and Yukon hubs and brakes and chromolies and high steer arms, tons are big boy expenses. You can buy a lot of spare 3rds and birfields for that money.

Junkyard axles are a fun thought but never as cheap as people pretend.

Will there be a discrepancy between wheel bolt patterns in the mean time?

Yeah, figure I'll just run some 8-to-6 lug adapters. I think you can also get hubs in various bolt patterns. I'd hate to have to get new wheels.

I paid 12 for the Lexus axles. After ARB and gears and Yukon hubs and brakes and chromolies and high steer arms, tons are big boy expenses. You can buy a lot of spare 3rds and birfields for that money.

Junkyard axles are a fun thought but never as cheap as people pretend.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, tell me about it. Those bolt-in Dynatrac front/rear packages don't seem so bad now at like $17k.

Jesus tapdancing Christ, tell me about it. Those bolt-in Dynatrac front/rear packages don't seem so bad now at like $17k.
Yeah. Stop being all stingy

Yeah, figure I'll just run some 8-to-6 lug adapters. I think you can also get hubs in various bolt patterns. I'd hate to have to get new wheels.
Wrong wrong wrong

Your wheels are dumb brodozer wheels that create tons of scrub. Go wide with proper wheels

Wrong wrong wrong

Your wheels are dumb brodozer wheels that create tons of scrub. Go wide with proper wheels

Stop yelling at me.

Everything is for sale for the right price

But on a serious note, re-tubing a junkyard 60 and adding gears and lockers doesn't seem that outrageous in terms of cost. Am I missing something? As we spoke about, after looking at the cost to do a front 9.5", I could probably do a 60 for almost the same price and end up with a much better axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom