Upgraded Rosen visor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sbman

Supporting Vendor
Threads
I put the Rosen visor on my 80 6 months or so ago. Found the reduced size and coverage of the lense compared to the stock visor to be very annoying, having to slide it back and forth as you drive into the sun isn't great. The shade color was too light as well and I felt like I needed to wear sunglasses even with the visor down. A nice clear view of the sky for sure, but I don't really need to see the sky clearly.

I've got a laser cutter so I decided to rectify the situation. After a lot of searching, I found a darker material and made a set of new lenses that provide just as much coverage as stock, and looks fitted to the vehicle instead of a generic solution. This does slightly limit the downward rotation of the visor due to the extended overhang towards the a-pillar, but I have not found this to be an issue at all after running them for 6 months.

Enough people contacted me to make some for them that I became a small-time vendor on the forum so I can ship these out to anyone that is interested.

Here's the driver side with my lense compared to the passenger with the original Rosen.

PXL_20231126_220608572-XL.jpg

There's more coverage on both the A-pillar side as well as the mirror side. No more sliding back and forth when driving into the sun and the darker lense really blocks the sunlight properly, but I can still see a stoplight through it when needed. Here's a shot of both sides installed.

PXL_20231126_221719197-XL.jpg

And a shot from the drivers perspective:

PXL_20231126_220412693-XL.jpg

How much? And are you willing to ship to Mexico?

$70 plus shipping. I think I could ship to MX, PM me your address if you want a set and I'll look into shipping options.

Looks good! I take it these still require the Rosen mounts?

Yes, these are plastic lenses ONLY. You need to already have the Rosen visor system in your truck for these to work.

FIgured, I wonder if Rosen would sell just the mounts with lenses for a reduced cost.

This seems unlikely. Rosen has made claims that they were going to improve the product over the years, but it hasn't changed and the options have actually been reduced, not improved. They were supposed to make a mounting post that fit the cruiser better (covered the hole in the headliner all the way) but they never did, and they used to have different length lenses, now when you call they only have the one size.

I love the Rosens but the tiny lense and not being dark enough really lets it down. It's a quality unit for sure and with the darker, larger lense they are a great replacement for saggy old OEM visors.

I've used Rosen products in aircraft and the light colored lense is perfect in an aviation setting, you are going to wear sunglasses all the time anyways and you need to see the sky clearly to lookout for other airplanes. In the cruiser, the bright view of the sky I found to be pretty but really annoying when you are driving into the sun and need the coverage the most. The material I'm using for the lense is significantly darker. You can still see the color of a stoplight through them in most cases, but possibly not when facing directly into the sun.

PM's answered!

Had a member with an aftermarket rear view mirror that wanted the outside edges longer towards the A-pillar per my design, but not the inside edges towards the mirror, so off to the laser for a custom cut!

PXL_20240315_164855028-XL.jpg

Looks good, what is the material you are using for these?

Looks good, what is the material you are using for these?

These are made from Acrylic, the same type of material Rosen uses, but a darker shade of it. I custom ordered a shade that was the level of tint I thought would be good for this use. They are darker than typical sunglasses but not as dark as a welding helmet shade. Maybe close to the shade used for metal grinding work.

Here are some install instructions. I think it's pretty easy to install.

Remove the thumbscrew on the visor.

PXL_20240318_143726548-M.jpg

Be careful not to drop the screw or lose the plastic washer that is on the screw. If you drop either of them down into the center console/seat area of your 80, it is NOT easy to find.

PXL_20240318_143742864-M.jpg

Line up the lenses and peel back the protective film on the new lense where the hardware will attach.

PXL_20240318_145329548-XL.jpg

Unscrew the hardware from the old to the new, peel the rest of the protective film and then it's ready for re-installation on the truck. The left and right are the same but the hardware mounts on opposite sides, so lining up the two helps get it in the proper position.

PXL_20240318_145600118-M.jpg

All done!

This makes me wish my rig had droopy floppy visors but mine work great.

The first batch of these are sold out.

My supplier tells me that I can't get the color I had before unless I order 120 4x8 sheets, so that color is out. I'm testing a few alternatives for the second batch. If you are interested in the second batch, PM me and I'll let you know when the new ones are available.

Second batch is shipping out. Anyone that wants a larger, darker set of lenses for your Rosen visor system, just send me a PM to order one. I ended up with the darkest commercially available grey colored acrylic I could find, and then apply an automotive tint to that before using the laser to cut the pattern out. It gives the same dark shade I had before that you can still see through with a truer grey tint to it, I've been running one of the new ones for a bit now and I like it just as much as the first batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom