Upgrading knuckle balls, where to cut (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
This is a bit of a repost, but the fj62 axle I’m using in my build has some terrible putting on the seal surface of the knuckle balls. I have a spare set I’ve been saving for years for whatever. Whatever is now.

How can I be absolutely certain of where to cut on the old ones to save axle tube length and on the newer ones how little to cut as well?

Any suggestions welcome.

0456A7F6-4892-4C71-9EF6-DED84DE27DE5.jpeg
0456A7F6-4892-4C71-9EF6-DED84DE27DE5.jpeg
65EE2497-F070-4923-8103-D7A32576439D.jpeg
D7E04AF5-A1BE-40E7-BCD3-ED2E7DC6E074.jpeg

I would cut at the same distance from the edge of the existing weld on each one. As long as the distance is the same for each, you should be ok.

You already know not to cut too deep, right? ;)

edit - I like Jim's JB weld idea.

I already plan both a C&T and to metal epoxy even the better balls. I want a good seal.

Google only gave one pirate thread about it and nothing about preserving axle tube lengths. That’s my main concern. I can do the work-I ain’t “skerred”...

The better balls that I (not my wife) stored on a shelf will get a good blasting in the cabinet after work tomorrow for a good epoxy adhesion surface.

it seems like you are going thru a lot of trouble for not much gain, but it's your time and energy.

I'm thinking you can get an empty front housing much cheaper, even if shipping is needed.

just my opinion

I get that, but I already have the housing and better knuckles and the ability to fab. Not scared of the work.

All I’m asking is for real dimsions to work with. Real numbers.

cut the weld as if you are doing a cut and turn, once loose it should slide out?? with plenty of heat on the tube.

wonder how far in the ball tube slides in the axle tube???

These guys nailed it, I have done this job a few times due to a crushed knuckle ball. Cut at the outer edge of the weld like you are doing a C&T heat, twist and it comes right out once you hit the right heat. Super easy and straight forward.
But if you are just doing this for pitting I would so HotHogs or that JB well treatment and sand it smooth. Way less work.

From memory for a cut and turn, maybe 3/8" or so from the end (shoulder). Last one I did was 10+ years ago though.

Here's a pic of the one I did. Funny enough I found it in the ih8mud cut and turn tech article (former acct was cruiser Ken)

Edit: look how clean my balls were

Cutting and Turning

6F14EC1E-9555-468D-B423-7033C9722C1D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom