Updated Estimate of Headgasket Job Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking to take My 1997 LC ( 267K 1FZFE inline 6) to a shop to have The head resurfaced and appropriate gaskets replaced. Ive seen similar post, but from 10 to 15 years ago. any idea what it might run ( low to high end of price)
it overheated and i pulled it over and limped it home after it cooled off. Water seems top have made it into the oil , has been parked and not run for about 3 years. it starts when i charge the Batt. but for 5 mins only, then i shut it off.

TYIA

Im looking to take My 1997 LC ( 267K 1FZFE inline 6) to a shop to have The head resurfaced and appropriate gaskets replaced. Ive seen similar post, but from 10 to 15 years ago. any idea what it might run ( low to high end of price)
it overheated and i pulled it over and limped it home after it cooled off. Water seems top have made it into the oil , has been parked and not run for about 3 years. it starts when i charge the Batt. but for 5 mins only, then i shut it off.

TYIA
When I got mine done it was heavily discounted through a local dealer due to the service manager being part of the local Cruiser group. I paid a little over 2350 OTD and they completely went through the head and replaced valve seals, guides, etc. One other dealer quoted me 2300 before parts and labor as did a small brick and mortar.

I would check the cruiser clubs in the PNW section and see who they would recommend.

Give Torfab a call. They specialize in Land Cruisers and have a great reputation so you know the job will be done right.

I do my own work, so I have only myself to blame if something is wrong, and it increases my familiarity with my truck. I understand not everyone can do that, but here are my costs on my current project, leaving out everything that isn't headgasket related.
For perspective-

Machine work (decking, valve stem seals, check and spec valve guides, inspect and spec camshafts, cam bores, etc)
850.00 (this is a great price; I would expect more like 1000 - 1250. I know my machinist from way back and I was still expecting 1k)

Headgasket (updated full gasket kit, as you need more than just the head gasket itself)
275.00 ( I actually bought mine through Partsouq for 161.00 )

After three years of sitting you're going to want to do the cooling system and rubber bits some favors, so budget for water pump, hoses, belts,
Water Pump
Hoses (Big Ones)
125.00 (ish - prices vary a lot)
Belts

Hopefully, your radiator is okay
300.00-375.00 (again, prices vary)

Tune Up items after 3 years...
Distributor Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Plug wires,

I just did all this, it's all very fresh in my mind. If you see these parts yourself, you will understand the need to do it. If a mechanic does your work, and tells you these need to be done, they aren't yanking your chain. They really do.

Good luck.

What about the bearings in the bottom end if they've been sitting in coolant for a few years?

^^^This^^^. If coolant/water contaminated oil sat in the engine for three years the bearings, rings, cylinder walls, etc might be ruined/rusty/corroded, which could mean a full rebuild or replacement.

You won't know until they take it apart.

Last edited:
Regarding the lower sitting in coolant for 3 years, no I've changed the oil a couple years back, that's how I found out water contaminated the oil. It has oil in the crank case, could stand to use another change I suppose

You could collect a sample of the current used oil and send it off to Blackstone Laboratories for an EOA (Engine Oil Analysis). The purpose is to see what's in the oil including water, coolant, fuel, or the level of wear metals. If the iron level for example is extremely high that could mean you have corrosion inside the engine. Other metals might indicate bearing damage. If the oil sample came back good then maybe there's hope (that you don't have to a complete rebuild).

Either way IMHO/IME, you won't know until they start pulling the engine apart.

I have a complete long block I am picking up next week from the machine shop to assemble and post for sale. I also have just a head being refinished and refreshed that will be posted soon. Reach out to me if you’re interested. Not sure if you’re doing your own work or not. PM me if you wanna chat. Thanks Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom