Update: WATER=Yes. TruckWent BERZERK: Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One user here had a chassis sealant defect that let a bunch of water in. I’d think if you had that you would know by now though.

Possible it’s the rack, windshield, the usual places. I’d pull the body plugs down in that area so any new water that gets in at least won’t pool up. Also try to determine if any modules under the dash and kick panel are getting wet. If it’s from the rack or windshield or even that defect it *could* be running down in a way that doesn’t hurt anything directly, but the damage occurs when it pools in the well there with the harness lying in it. Or, if a windshield, it could be falling directly on the BCM or something important.

Pulliig the plugs should stop water collecting, but some tarps over the rack, windshield, and cowl should prevent water getting in in the first place. I’d still pull the plugs though.

Thanks for input.
Pillar is wet all the way up....but not rearward. The first RR bolt is almost as far back as the rear of driver door...so it seems like it’s not the RR.

The trim pieces to the left and right of the windshield seem to be for looks only...? No seal to speak of... Hard to take those off without snapping clips. Just replaced both pieces this summer when i redid my roof with liner.

It was definitely pooled up front, and was parked on a downward slope...pulled a hood half cup out with a syringe. Will try the plugs.

I’ve never had windshield leakage since replacing it 3 years ago.

truck started after pool removal (probably shouldn’t have started it, but needed to point the truck uphill so water was fed forward with more rain now falling.

At the moment, I have pillar pieces off...rug fan blowing in... magnets holding plastic over the suspect area.

With more rain and no way to pull it under a roof, at this point I think I’ll let it sit and blow... get back in after storm passes hopefully tomorrow.

Will update...
Thanks all for thinkin...

m

Ugh is right. I would look at the rack mounts for where the water got in. I would say use some fans, dehumidifier and may some DampRid.

Thanks @RobW0 . Have a look at response to bloc above. I may point a high power fan into the corner of sun roof corner from inside toward pillar. Did that once before when sunroof was open a crack...

Will update.
Thank you.

Thanks all. Will update soon.

Check this thread out....

Well it sounds as you have found the culprit with the water, now to locate the leak.

With Possible water in drivers left footboard where many electronics are located can this area can be dried out as well with the fans etc.?

Well it sounds as you have found the culprit with the water, now to locate the leak.

With Possible water in drivers left footboard where many electronics are located can this area can be dried out as well with the fans etc.?

Ya, currently blowing it out over night... Covered roof area. We’ll see. Might take it to my windshield guy and see what he suggests as he’s familiar with seals, etc.

See if you can score one or 2 of those carpet drying type of fans ( rental yards have them) and let her rip. The hanger is available for a multi day process as well as valet home delivery if you want. BTW while it's wet see if you can identify the highest wet point hopefully pointing to the point of entry.

See if you can score one or 2 of those carpet drying type of fans ( rental yards have them) and let her rip. The hanger is available for a multi day process as well as valet home delivery if you want

Those are the exact fans I’m using. :) Carpet dryers... One on floor pointing into footwell opening where wiring harnesses are...another into the upper a pillar.

I might have missed it if you said, but you should keep batteries disconnected until everything is dry again. Id also recommend blowing out any multi pin connectors with compressed air to mitigate the water damage.

I might have missed it if you said, but you should keep batteries disconnected until everything is dry again. Id also recommend blowing out any multi pin connectors with compressed air to mitigate the water damage.

Yes on both.
Compressed air and disconnected over night...

Glad you found it Mark. Wish I was closer so I could lend a hand

Go buy a few of those Damp Rid pails, or Damp Rid hangable bags. They work wonders - drying things up AND warding off any musty smells.

Clogged sunroof drains or drain tubes could cause this. The water overflows and runs down the inside along the path of least resistance.

Not sure if this relates to the 200, here is an old thread in the 80's FAQ on how to clean them

This issue has my radar up. I put my Front Runner rack on myself. I don’t recall what I did with regard to weatherproofing but it is likely that I was not super careful about it. I have never had any problems because my trucks all live in garages.

I assume that the folks who have had plugged sunroof drains live where there are leaves or pine needles or other stuff that falls from trees.

I am gonna dig into mine a bit and see what’s up.

Sure glad you found the problem @Markuson

This issue has my radar up. I put my Front Runner rack on myself. I don’t recall what I did with regard to weatherproofing but it is likely that I was not super careful about it. I have never had any problems because my trucks all live in garages.

I assume that the folks who have had plugged sunroof drains live where there are leaves or pine needles or other stuff that falls from trees.

I am gonna dig into mine a bit and see what’s up.

Definitely worth sealing RR bolts.
But... In my case, I am convinced my leak is not related to the RR...since there was no wetness as far back as the forward-most mount hole. The more forward hole is toward the back of the frontddoors.... But moisture was not that far back. It only started at the a pillar on driver.

I think if there is a RR mount hole leak, you’d find water farther back under the headliner...but ?

My current suspicion is that this may be related to changes to sealing that happened when I had my hood and roof Line-Xed. At that time, some roof/windshield liners were messed with, and we haven’t had heavy rain since that was done.

Not sure yet...but will update when I find out more.

Last edited:
Sure glad you found the problem @Markuson

Thanks. And ya, it was a huge relief to confirm it was footwell water as others here suggested. Was afraid my main computer was fried.

It’s strange what wide-ranging effects it has even on a truck that is powered O—Alarm... fans... beeps... failure to start, etc. Seems a bizarre spot to place critically important (and vulnerable) wiring harnesses that are susceptible to water.

Water under the bridge at this point (see what I did there haha), but kind of a baffling placement.

Makes me wonder if there might be a way to protect those harnesses...but WOW...stuff is really packed in densely in that time area forward of the door-jam.

Thanks. And ya, it was a huge relief to confirm it was footwell water as others here suggested. Was afraid my main computer was fried.

It’s strange what wide-ranging effects it has even on a truck that is powered O—Alarm... fans... beeps... failure to start, etc. Seems a bizarre spot to place critically important (and vulnerable) wiring harnesses that are susceptible to water.

Water under the bridge at this point (see what I did there haha), but kind of a baffling placement.

Makes me wonder if there might be a way to protect those harnesses...but WOW...stuff is really packed in densely in that time area forward of the door-jam.
Yes, I've seen how some frequent fording rigs relocate the computers to the headliner area. It's not pretty but certainly effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom