Update: WATER=Yes. TruckWent BERZERK: Advice? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes, I've seen how some frequent fording rigs relocate the computers to the headliner area. It's not pretty but certainly effective.

Unfortunate factory placement fir sure. The other thing that can happen (ask me how I know) can be as simple as a gallon jug of water that tips over at some point and pour onto the floor.

Guess where it ends up if on a downhill slant? *Right in that vulnerable spot!!

This happened in my truck, simply because a gallon of distilled water (I use it in my wiper-washer in warm weather) but thankfully it was on passenger...which doesn’t have critically important harnesses as driver does.

I recently had an issue with my 80 where water was leaking into the rear qtr, running down the wire into the trailer brake controller.

Obviously want to stop the leak, but to help mitigate future occurnces sealing up the wiring box and well up the wires past the plug with heat shrink was the a quick solution. Not going to prevent 100% if submerged, but certainly will help if the sliding back windows are left open.

I recently had an issue with my 80 where water was leaking into the rear qtr, running down the wire into the trailer brake controller.

Obviously want to stop the leak, but to help mitigate future occurnces sealing up the wiring box and well up the wires past the plug with heat shrink was the a quick solution. Not going to prevent 100% if submerged, but certainly will help if the sliding back windows are left open.

Good idea for your rear wires.

The problem in the footwell on the 200 is there are several large wiring harness plug-ins that are not protected *at all.* Wires and the holes they plug into are open front and back.

So as water trickles down, every one of those wires are vulnerable...

I may pull a screw that seems to secure the bottom one and see it there is any way to protect it...but it seems nearly impossible...

Look below. These are at the floor level, stacked at the floor...like an invitation to water:
1605039751803.jpeg

Would electric grease or something along those lines be a smart thing to lather on in that area to help give it a layer of protection?

Good idea for your rear wires.

The problem in the footwell on the 200 is there are several large wiring harness plug-ins that are not protected *at all.* Wires and the holes they plug into are open front and back.

So as water trickles down, every one of those wires are vulnerable...

I may pull a screw that seems to secure the bottom one and see it there is any way to protect it...but it seems nearly impossible...

Look below. These are at the floor level, stacked at the floor...like an invitation to water:
View attachment 2491649

Any chance the water came in through your driver’s side firewall grommet?

Any chance the water came in through your driver’s side firewall grommet?

I don’t think so. It only rained a little while driving. The wet path starts at the top of my driver a pillar...and went berzerk 8 hours after driving.
Water got in there while sitting in my driveway in the rain.

I don’t think so. It only rained a little while driving. The wet path starts at the top of my driver a pillar...and went berzerk 8 hours after driving.
Water got in there while sitting in my driveway in the rain.

Did you get it dried out? Everything ok?

Did you get it dried out? Everything ok?

It’s dried out and all functionality is back.
Still working on figuring out the leak source. Taking it to a trusted windshield guy today to have a look and get an opinion.

Did you get the trim piece off the windshield?

Taking it to a trusted windshield guy today to have a look and get an opinion.

I have used Larry at Heckmann Glass Masters in the past with good success. They know how to properly install a LC windshield, using the rivets, etc. Not sure about the 200 but I have used them for my 80 and 100. May be worth a call and visit.

I have used Larry at Heckmann Glass Masters in the past with good success. They know how to properly install a LC windshield, using the rivets, etc. Not sure about the 200 but I have used them for my 80 and 100. May be worth a call and visit.

Thanks. Always good to hear of great shops. I had similarly solid experience at “Mark’s auto Glass Servive” on Magnolia in El Cajon.

In this leak case, my last windshield install was great and has never leaked before.
Just wondering if a windshield guy could shed light on what the line-x guys may have done in that same area... We’ll see.

If they aren’t on it, i’ll try your guy. :cheers:

Did you get the trim piece off the windshield?

I did when line-x came off...but those clips tend to break upon removal, and I’m not keen on replacing them AGAIN if it can be avoided. I replaced both after line-x, so wondering if something was screwy and I didn’t know it.

If the glass itself didn't come out for the liner I don't see how that job could contribute to the leaks.

100s have rivets for the trim along the sides of the windshield opening that can leak, but those don't need to be messed with on 200s, and don't seem to be a common source of problems.

Also one thing that often confuses leaks from the roof is the tendency for the water to run along the headliner like an overhead gutter then finally find a low spot and spill over, actually wetting things visibly. It depends on what the backing material of the headliner is made of. I can't remember which of my past vehicles had this happen, but when digging around online it was a pretty common thing with them.

Pulling down the liner slightly near the rack mounts shouldn't be too bad, requiring removal of the oh-s*** handles and the door opening trim that holds the edge in place, and maybe B and C pillar trim. From there you can put some water in the rack gutter and see if it is making its way inside. If you do go this route, keep an eye out for side curtain airbag control wires/modules.

If the glass itself didn't come out for the liner I don't see how that job could contribute to the leaks.

100s have rivets for the trim along the sides of the windshield opening that can leak, but those don't need to be messed with on 200s, and don't seem to be a common source of problems.

Also one thing that often confuses leaks from the roof is the tendency for the water to run along the headliner like an overhead gutter then finally find a low spot and spill over, actually wetting things visibly. It depends on what the backing material of the headliner is made of. I can't remember which of my past vehicles had this happen, but when digging around online it was a pretty common thing with them.

Pulling down the liner slightly near the rack mounts shouldn't be too bad, requiring removal of the oh-s*** handles and the door opening trim that holds the edge in place, and maybe B and C pillar trim. From there you can put some water in the rack gutter and see if it is making its way inside. If you do go this route, keep an eye out for side curtain airbag control wires/modules.

Good points. I’ll check that at the headliner edges. Thank you.

Be proactive ... get a hose and a second set of eyes. Actively find that leak. It wouldn't hurt to have an endoscope camera handy too.

Vid for removing the window trim and not breaking those rectangular white clips

My body guy told me to park on a dry surface and pour a glass of water around the open sun roof. If it doesn’t go to the floor of the garage you’ve got plugged drains.

Be proactive ... get a hose and a second set of eyes. Actively find that leak. It wouldn't hurt to have an endoscope camera handy too.

Thanks for input.

Just left after talking to windshield guy. Ruled out windshield (as expected) but he had a few suggestions along these lines. I have a couple things that may be contributing to getting past the sunroom seal, but hard to explain without photos...

Edit:
Owner came out and looked further. We tested the sun roof drains and water exits easily/properly.

My new suspect is the center of Prinsu RR spacers where the bolts pass through. I don’t see evidence of sealant in there...and that would be 16 opportunities for water.

Will investigate that tomorrow in the daylight.

My spidey senses say that you need to check out the mounting points for your aftermarket rack.

My body guy told me to park on a dry surface and pour a glass of water around the open sun roof. If it doesn’t go to the floor of the garage you’ve got plugged drains.

Noted above, but we just now did exactly that. Drains are ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom