Update: WATER=Yes. TruckWent BERZERK: Advice? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My spidey senses say that you need to check out the mounting points for your aftermarket rack.

Yep. that’s next step. See above...

EDIT: What’s weird is i’ve been through a ton of car washes post-rack...and major water up there hasn’t ever shown evidence of entry. Maybe it needs a slow, longer time frame to gather enough...

Last edited:

EDIT: What’s weird is i’ve been through a ton of car washes post-rack...and major water up there hasn’t ever shown evidence of entry. Maybe it needs a slow, longer time frame to gather enough...
Those car washes could very well have leaked but as you elude to, not enough to notice or cause problems. But having it parked with water collecting in the channels on the roof..

Depending no how long it has been happening, rust can be an issue too. Here is a thread on an improperly sealed roof on a 4Runner:

I worry about aftermarket racks for reasons like this. I know they can be sealed properly, but it can be hard to tell if there is a small leak that could cause rust...

Thanks for input.
Pillar is wet all the way up....but not rearward. The first RR bolt is almost as far back as the rear of driver door...so it seems like it’s not the RR.

The trim pieces to the left and right of the windshield seem to be for looks only...? No seal to speak of... Hard to take those off without snapping clips. Just replaced both pieces this summer when i redid my roof with liner.

It was definitely pooled up front, and was parked on a downward slope...
BTW how steep was the slope? You may want to pull headliner and upper interior trim all along drivers side. I think the slope just guided the water towards the front electronics and enough was enough for stuff to go wonky.

I fear you won't like what you see when you remove the HL and trim and douse that whole roof side with water. You may want to buy some rust prevention tools and chemicals beforehand. Perhaps there will be a Black Friday sale on patience, BOGO if you're lucky.

Guess how my day is going:

IMG_2273.JPG

Standing water along the kick panel. Dripping onto floormat.

Like @Markuson my starting point is windshield. I got a sh*tty Safelite windshield and have had wet a-pillar twice now. This time I actually saw water.

Really unsure where to go other than getting it dry and trying to start the truck (I haven't yet). I figured I should rule out sunroof drain first but would be hard to test right now with everything soaked.

View attachment 2697278

Like @Markuson my starting point is windshield. I got a sh*tty Safelite windshield and have had wet a-pillar twice now. This time I actually saw water.

Really unsure where to go other than getting it dry and trying to start the truck (I haven't yet). I figured I should rule out sunroof drain first but would be hard to test right now with everything soaked.

After pulling water out via a large syringe… I set ho high power rug fans blowing up and into the headliner via the sunroof with glass closed, and pillar open. Left this on all noght and it was bone dry by morning. Disconnected batteries first…

View attachment 2697278

Wow. That’s a bummer man.

if you pour water in the sunroof, you should see water draining out on the ground. If you don’t then that would be suspect 2 after the windshield.

After pulling water out via a large syringe… I set ho high power rug fans blowing up and into the headliner via the sunroof with glass closed, and pillar open. Left this on all noght and it was bone dry by morning. Disconnected batteries first…
Yeah, my highlander sat for a month over winter and had inches of standing water from a blocked sunroof drain. I did the same. After that, I ran the car with the heater on high on floor mode and with the sunroof slightly open. You want to get it up to 100 in there to force evaporation.

The truck started and ran fine, no codes. I've got a couple fans running and the channel is mostly dry. Hoping I got lucky.

Ugh. Well, at least a $5 can of duster can take care of it, but I hope there was no damage to the electronics near the floorboard.

At least you know it hasn't been sitting like that for long, so once you get it dry, you should be fine.

Twice a year i run heavy guage weed whipper line down all of my car’s sunroof drains. It is amazing what a little pollen/mud/moss will do to a drain. I don’t think the PNW is unique.

Twice a year i run heavy guage weed whipper line down all of my car’s sunroof drains. It is amazing what a little pollen/mud/moss will do to a drain. I don’t think the PNW is unique.

Really good advice!

At least you can assume it isn't the windshield.

I would probably suggest folks start replacing the rubber seal around the sunroof. A lot of stuff shouldn't be getting in with a tight enough seal. The part is $35 (63251-12190).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom