Update On my 1975 FJ40 its been a while! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello as some of you know I was trying to sell my project but no takers so I decided to move forward with restoring it. finally, the engine is in with steering and now the seats...so photos are below. I put a 6.2 liter out of a 2018 Denali with 18K miles and a new NV4500 5 speed and orin transfer case w/ARB lockers at both end and 4.10 gears. 32-inch tires

IMG_6022 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6023 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6024 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6037 - Copy.jpg

IMG_6038 - Copy.jpg

Beautiful rig, is that an iDidit steering column?

It's like a walk down memory lane from my rebuilt.

when did the LS series delete the mechanical fan???? Nevermind, 05' they were deleted.

Last edited:
Got a little more done the Vintage Air is in fits pretty good got a cool wooden steering wheel for it..Will post photos when its on. got the transfer case lid back on now Im going to make it look pretty as well. the fan and radiator fit really good was worried I would have to move the engine over a bit but the brackets fit perfectly.

IMG_6204.jpg

IMG_6304.jpg

IMG_6305.jpg

IMG_6306.jpg

How was it setting up the ‘18 6.2? I have another project I was considering that vintage 5.3.
Fine.... depends on the vehicle and the transmission. the 4L90 is too long and if you are using the stock axles you will not be able to go atlas transfer case. I went with orin 4/1 and I hear nothing good about it..so we will see. could be the weak link

Fine.... depends on the vehicle and the transmission. the 4L90 is too long and if you are using the stock axles you will not be able to go atlas transfer case. I went with orin 4/1 and I hear nothing good about it..so we will see. could be the weak link
You’ll be fine with the Orion 4:1. I have it behind a lm7 (5,3) and not much to complain about. Deep gearing and cast iron case. Only issue I could point to is the detent spring force on the shift fork rail as outlined in the AA instructions. There’s a number of people that have had trouble with the case popping into neutral. There’s a couple theories on the O.R.I.O.N. sticky. My solution was to test out the new and old shift fork/spring/ball/shift rail until I got the most resistance. I also screwed the set screw on the spring a little more than AA outlined. I “think” I have it whipped, but time will tell.

If I do go for the L83 engine, it’ll be in a 2wd truck, so length shouldn’t be an issue.

The computer hanging under the glove box ?
Orion, the popping outa gear issue is not shift fork or detent ball related, that is a bandaid. There can be shift fork issues as well as detent rod issues, however those just shift and hold it in gear, more hold = less or no popping out. What causes the popping out is a combo of 2 things, the clearance and condition of the bushing in the hi & lo speed gears on the output shaft and the condition & size of the outputshaft, also the dogteeth on the gears and the shift collar. Georg posted pics of the diff shafts, collars in the Orion thread. All that said, it has been a great tcase, love the gearing and the only failure after almost 20 years was when the interior mount bolt backed out and ran thru the gears, bad day.

I'm curious why you chose to use that design steering box? (Toyota IFS?)
In that location, a standard saginaw fits well and doesn't hang down so much. There also seems to be quite an angle on the TRE at the pitman, but maybe that's an illusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom