Unobtainium (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot,I got 3 holes through the tub at the bottom of my gas tank on 77...I plugged 2 little ones and left open the biggest one-I believe the hole needs to stay open for the moisture escaping and coming out of the tub -it is about 1,5 +inch diameter hole...

Helipilot,I got 3 holes through the tub at the bottom of my gas tank on 77...I plugged 2 little ones and left open the biggest one-I believe the hole needs to stay open for the moisture escaping and coming out of the tub -it is about 1,5 +inch diameter hole...

I too have always considered the main bottom hole as a drain. It’s an off road user mentality. No so many trucks in that category as there once were.

Just a quick inquiry if you please...on a 12-76 FJ40 there is a hole (about 1 3/4" or so) in the bottom of the depression where the fuel tank sits. On my other three FJ40's I had a rubber plug that installed from the bottom to gain access to the fuel tank drain bolt. My current FJ40 did not come with this plug.

The local dealer does not show the plug or the part number in his computer. The nearest I have been able to discover is 90950-01102 but that appears to be too small. Any ideas? I really want one to seal up that big honking hole and keep water and dirt from under the tank.

This is all going some where , MEGA-Zip Japan calls 90950-01102 a Dash Panel Plug ?

This would imply a smaller Diameter Plug in nature perhaps o_O

9095001102.png

The smaller plug is the one I got when I ordered the part number listed on the fisch 90950-01102. The hole is 40mm in diameter and in my previous three FJ-40's they had a plug that was inserted from the bottom of the tub to allow water to drain out in the event of high water crossings or a downpour with the top off.

In my '77 I also have the three holes, two small and the large one in the middle. I believe all three are for draining the area under the tank and I have the two smaller holes plugged with dealer available plugs. but need the large plug to help seal up the cabin. I flew a contract in Minneapolis-St. Paul for Life Link III in their S-76 and the plug in my '78 stopped the cold draft in the -teens. Had to remove the plug to drain the fuel when I got some bad gas and I left it off for a couple of days to fully vent the fuel and the cold air was evident as it flowed up and around the tank.

The smaller plug is the one I got when I ordered the part number listed on the fisch 90950-01102. The hole is 40mm in diameter and in my previous three FJ-40's they had a plug that was inserted from the bottom of the tub to allow water to drain out in the event of high water crossings or a downpour with the top off.

In my '77 I also have the three holes, two small and the large one in the middle. I believe all three are for draining the area under the tank and I have the two smaller holes plugged with dealer available plugs. but need the large plug to help seal up the cabin. I flew a contract in Minneapolis-St. Paul for Life Link III in their S-76 and the plug in my '78 stopped the cold draft in the -teens. Had to remove the plug to drain the fuel when I got some bad gas and I left it off for a couple of days to fully vent the fuel and the cold air was evident as it flowed up and around the tank.

Note : the inner contact surface is rim to sheet metal side surface hole 41mm

- No evidence of a Toyota OEM part # , i Just Sonic Cleaned it real quick

- the lip on the upside is 42mm

- the outer flange or sealing surface lip / overlay part is 46mm

- this plug is for a 40mm hole exactly

- the plug is oddly beveled as maybe shed water like a drip-edge surface when installed upside down as so ..........

- does this look familiar Roger ?

DSCN9485.JPG
DSCN9487.JPG
DSCN9489.JPG
DSCN9490.JPG
DSCN9485.JPG

Well Matt, you win the prize! That is what it looks like and it has the right dimensions. If you want to sell it let me know by PM

Well Matt, you win the prize! That is what it looks like and it has the right dimensions. If you want to sell it let me know by PM

I like prizes :princess:

Sell it to u ?

Naaaaaaaaa..............

The Real Prize for me is being able to simply Give something like a small piece of "Unobtainium" back to a fellow member who has helped me & My

small business store front : DATA I.D. Plates Tags & Engraving Service & the Restored Choke Cables concept projects i have going on

with help from @65swb45 who plugged me in early on to His thread Choke cable variations grow over the

past year...........

shoot me a PM with your shipping info , i got your back on this one .........:)

matt

Last edited:
A couple more follow-up questions on glass weatherstripping:

Was was referring to the primary seal holding the glass to the small steel outer frame not the larger one to 1/4 window outer frame.

I was also looking for these, Part IDs 68175 and 68176:

MBA118.png

And for the rear lift gate glass, I see this on your website, along with a note:

Rear hatch glass weatherstrip for 7/'71 to 7/'76 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 in the U.S. market, or through '84 in other select markets. Accurate reproduction based on NOS sample. Equivalent to discontinued OEM part # 62743-90300.

Note:
Cars earlier than 7/'71 can use this weatherstrip if the glass is replaced with the later type. The updated glass is part # 68131-90306 (Discontinued).

But I'm seeing that the later type glass is still available from Toyota:

Part Description Glass, Back Door
TP.T=5.0

Replaced By 68131-90306

In any case, because it's a flat piece of glass, any glass shop should be able to provide glass with the correct dimensions and thickness, right?

A couple more follow-up questions on glass weatherstripping:

I was also looking for these, Part IDs 68175 and 68176:

MBA118.png

And for the rear lift gate glass, I see this on your website, along with a note:

Rear hatch glass weatherstrip for 7/'71 to 7/'76 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 in the U.S. market, or through '84 in other select markets. Accurate reproduction based on NOS sample. Equivalent to discontinued OEM part # 62743-90300.

Note:
Cars earlier than 7/'71 can use this weatherstrip if the glass is replaced with the later type. The updated glass is part # 68131-90306 (Discontinued).

TP.T=5.0

Replaced By 68131-90306

In any case, because it's a flat piece of glass, any glass shop should be able to provide glass with the correct dimensions and thickness, right?
The part for 72 and later still available from Toyota. 68175-90300. It's not handed. Given what it it looks as if it might work for earlier too.

-Geoff

The part for 72 and later still available from Toyota. 68175-90300. It's not handed. Given what it it looks as if it might work for earlier too.

-Geoff
Thanks for pointing that out, the later ones aren't handed even though it appears from the part numbers that the earlier ones are. If I knew the later ones are longer I'd order one and see if I could cut it to fit, or otherwise modify it.

Thanks for pointing that out, the later ones aren't handed even though it appears from the part numbers that the earlier ones are. If I knew the later ones are longer I'd order one and see if I could cut it to fit, or otherwise modify it.
Sometimes even parts that are numbered as handed aren't actually. A good example of this is the 1/4 side glass gasket. While they make a left and right, each can be flipped over and used on the other side. Same goes for the LH and RH door hinges. Just take out the pin and flip and they become the other side hinge.

-Geoff

Note:

TP.T=5.0

Replaced By 68131-90306

The OEM glass is discontinued and unavailable (I verified). Therefore, yes, you can go through the glass shop route.

Hold a piece of cardboard over the opening on the rear hatch and trace the opening John. Take your pattern and your gasket to a glass shop. The size of the glass is dependent on the space between the glass side and the body side of the gasket. I used to use two Bic ball point pens taped together to trace the larger pattern and it is close enough. Typically 3/16" - 1/4". Stock tempered glass thickness will be thinner than 1/4" clear laminated safety glass. It will be a tight install, you definitely want slightly tight vs. loose when it comes to glass. I believe the "rope trick" you used on the 60 hatch is your application to install. If it is the lockstrip style there is a different procedure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom