Ultimate tall skinnies? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mtpickettwoodworking.com
I'm 55 and have been running tall narrow tires all my life. I have owned lots of old one ton pickups, not only because I needed the weight capacity, but I also loved the look of the 7.50 x 17's on split rims. Most are about 34" tall. A friend gave me a military collectors magazine the other day and I came across these... Holy crud! upper left of photo 9.00 x 16/8 Super Lug TT traction. I have seen this size as military type non directional tires on power wagons etc, but I thought this tread pattern would be good on LC splitrims. I called and they are 36.30" dia and 10.38 section. Recomended wheel 6.5, but we all know they would squeeze in a bit...;) Anybody used them? anyone with photos?. I have the split rims and a project in mind. Sometimes I start with the tires for inspiration and because let's face it, any hulk looks better when it's knee-deep in rubber.:beer::)
tall skinny.jpg

36.30"..does its fit a 4" lift without body trim? that model Chevron its look sweet..i have 17" rims from a FJ cruiser waiting for tires.. what did you guys think? THe old 9.00x16 military tire also its 36.00 tall but just came for 16 rims.its any chance for 17 rims on the chevron?

Damn. I like. I am currently running 33X9.50 because I like that look.

I would expect a rough ride from those, as I'm sure they're bias and have a heavy load rating.

they look good but and are okay for heavy weight, but being 10 ply they dont give much. traction is not that good either and forget snow .i had those on a 54 power wagon that was a dd while i built my house and was not impressed.however i could haul 2 bunks of drywall on that truck no problem and had over 12,000 lbs of scrap on it once. you had to be carefull on wet roads because the back would slide out .the look is cool but in my opinion thats about it .we bought some tractor tires from a russian tractor that are 36" tall and fit on 16" rims and put them on our 65 fj40 mud truck .it looks cool but cant drive it on the road good luck

38 x 11 x 15 Super swamper boggers...

Ultimate tall skinny..

trollhole,any chance that those tires that you post came for 17" steelies FJ cruiser rims>>i like the way that its look but dont know the brand name...

trollhole,any chance that those tires that you post came for 17" steelies FJ cruiser rims>>i like the way that its look but dont know the brand name...

Like this? Just don't plan on airing them down much. THe FJ's in UC that have them pop them off the bead when they are aired down. I've never seen them pop off on stock 40 rims. Weight of the vehicle might be the reason.

IMG_2870.jpg

Yeap,those are the ltb 34x10.50x17..my first choice,but any other brand that i can think on use? my fj40 its a trail rig so I dont mind the road noise.

geuss i should learn to read i had the chevron tires not the super lug sorry and good luck

Yes, top of page, the TT's. In the photo they look like old school 7.50 x 16 traction tires but taller. For me the issue might be gearing as the frame and axles are '79 and that means 3.70's. Just hoping someone had experience with these on a cruiser....and I agree they look like bias ply. I forgot to ask that when I had them on the phone.

[
I was very close to putting these on my stocker. They look cool and are available here Universal Vintage Tire

I had a set of those on my HJ45 when I got it. Bad flat spots even in the summer time. In the winter I had to take it around the block a few times before the wife would even get in the truck with me! :eek:

I've looked at the LTBs several times over the years. Each time, friends who know me tell me I drive my LCs too much to ever be happy with them as threads on a daily driver.

OTOH, If it's for a trail rig...........WHO CARES!

And yeh, I wouldn't consider them with a rig running 3.70s.

Best

Mark A.

My skinnies not so tall, firestones 31x?x16 on stock rims...
Cruiser looks not the best but its a rebuild project...
skinny.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom