Turn Signal Permanently On (Freezing Temps) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got an odd one…

Right turn signal turns permanently on when temps are below freezing. Had the first day below 32 yesterday here in CO. Right signal came on and the front and rear signals are stuck in bright.

This hasn’t happened since below freezing weather last year and I was really hoping the weird electrical issue healed itself!

If I engage the right turn signal on the column, I hear the click in a rapid fashion but light on dash and exterior signals just stay bright.

IMG_4362.jpeg

IMG_4368.jpeg

Last edited:
I had this problem with my fog lights turning on by itself in freezing temperatures. The problem was sticky relay. Find the relay for turn signal, in some relays there is tiny pin hole with the help of push pin you can reset the relay.
Check the fuse box and find which relay controls the turn signal, if it has a hole reset it with push pin, if it doesn't have hole then try to disassemble it and clean it with an electrical cleaning spray.

I had this problem with my fog lights turning on by itself in freezing temperatures. The problem was sticky relay. Find the relay for turn signal, in some relays there is tiny pin hole with the help of push pin you can reset the relay.
Check the fuse box and find which relay controls the turn signal, if it has a hole reset it with push pin, if it doesn't have hole then try to disassemble it and clean it with an electrical cleaning spray.
Appreciate it - I'll give this a shot at some point this week or weekend. It's maddening and other drivers clearly don't appreciate it either!

Alright, pulling the flasher relay this evening. Hoping it's a simple clean up and it starts functioning normally.

If not, got a backup en route:

Thanks for those. Also removing the tow harness as I've heard that water/temps/road chems can cause weird electrical stuff to pop up with that thing dangling under the rear bumper for over 200K miles...

Alright, temps should be above freezing today. Pulled the Flasher Relay last night, now I just have a right signal permanently ON - no flashing.

Hoping a cleaned relay and warmer temps will keep me on a path toward solving this one?! New Flasher Relay will be installed when it arrives.

Took a video of the dashboard, but realized videos are supported file types!

Saga continues, sorta fun in an awful way. Was under the truck removing the trailer harness and felt some crusty rusty wires sitting atop the chasis above the exhaust.

As I typed this, I’m now wondering if something shorted and melted?

I’m thinking this has to be the issue. Look at how bad the wires are…damned salt and chemicals have torn me down…

IMG_4396.jpeg

IMG_4385.jpeg

IMG_4384.jpeg

IMG_4391.jpeg

IMG_4393.jpeg

Alright, wires spliced and cleaned up!

Really hoping there are no other issues from having these wires exposed for about ~10 months.

Driving in snow and freezing temps this week as the first test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom