Turbo water line question flow syphoning? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know garrett advices to run coolant lines like this within 20 degreese for syphoning
1692044959428.png

Is it ok on MHI turbos TD05 TD06 with 4 water cooling ports (2 ports on each side) coming off one side? I've seen some setups like this due to space limitations. I'm asuming its ok because the outport is higher
1692044767974.png

The important part was having the out line higher than the in line.

But diesels don't even need water cooling. It's mostly there as a hang-over from the same turbochargers being used on petrol engines. It can help a little with repeated hot shut-downs. But you've gotta hate your engine to do that anyway.

But diesels don't even need water cooling. It's mostly there as a hang-over from the same turbochargers being used on petrol engines. It can help a little with repeated hot shut-downs. But you've gotta hate your engine to do that anyway.
Thanks for your input.

I’ve notice a lot of people don’t hookup the waterlines. Toyota did put a water-cooled turbo for a reason so I figure I’d just use it too.

I do have turbo timer built in to my alarm so I’ll be using that too I can set it for how ever much time I need but so far I think 2min before shutdown is long enfough.

Toyota used those turbos on petrol engines, hence the water cooling.
Turbo timers are a waste of time and fuel. Just don't shut it down when it's red hot and you'll be fine. Personally I use the 200C point on my EGT gauge as a safe shut-down point. It's almost never I need to idle it down to this point.

I had a turbo timer in my hdj81.

Unless you live 1/2 mile from the interstate of ramp, and your parking it immediately after a hard run up the motorway, they don't achieve a lot.
Take it easy on the last few miles to home and the turbo will have cooled off enough to shut it down.

Turbo timer was good when just running into the shop for bread and milk. Hit 3 minutes on the timer, lock the car, and the engine would be running when I came back.

When cruising around residential before arriving at home egts go down to 300F and in the winter in some cases see less than 250F. I’m pretty sure the turbo is well cooled by arrival.

I always Idle till 350F on the pyrometer. Though I am N/A (for now).

When I installed the GTurbo, I called them out in Perth to ask if I should hook up the water lines to the 1HZ. Their answer was no. So, I didn't. Still working great.

I keep coming across you saying this and while I've refrained in the past, I feel it is my diligence to say something. This is YOUR subjective opinion on the matter based on what? Your experience driving these trucks on an island? It's just false information you keep spreading saying they are left over from gas applications.

roma042987,
you do not need water cooling on a diesel, do your research.
in fact it can lead to straining of your cooling system due to the nature of the load on a diesel turbo.
the water cooling on the turbo is mainly for cooling it down after a long run, you can achieve this by just not shutting your truck off immediately after a drive, turbos are oil cooled and thats enough for this application.
This isnt a site filled with ego mainiac bro douches spouting bull..... evidenced by the posters actually calling the turbo company directly and asking them (which he told you in his post above) and the head of that company is on this site and will tell you the same, and dougal DOES know some stuff

I keep coming across you saying this and while I've refrained in the past, I feel it is my diligence to say something. This is YOUR subjective opinion on the matter based on what? Your experience driving these trucks on an island? It's just false information you keep spreading saying they are left over from gas applications.
I agree. There is no downside to running the coolant lines. They're there for a reason. And Toyota used them factory in their diesels too.

I agree. There is no downside to running the coolant lines. They're there for a reason. And Toyota used them factory in their diesels too.
I understand this mindset. i.e. "why not run the lines? It's already set up for them."

The issue is that there is a downside. It's adding more failure points to the cooling system.

It's similar to adding a rear heater to the car. Or removing one, which most guys do to reduce failure points of lines bursting.

I had all these exact same questions when I did my install. So I went straight to the source and called GTurbo directly.

I understand this mindset. i.e. "why not run the lines? It's already set up for them."

The issue is that there is a downside. It's adding more failure points to the cooling system.

It's similar to adding a rear heater to the car. Or removing one, which most guys do to reduce failure points of lines bursting.

I had all these exact same questions when I did my install. So I went straight to the source and called GTurbo directly.
Yeah but Toyota has it from the factory. I'm pretty sure id they thought their turbo diesels needed water cooling they added it for a reason.

Yeah but Toyota has it from the factory.
That is a solid argument. The question then is, "why did Toyota install turbo waterlines from the factory?"

The reason for that is the same reason Toyota (or any OEM for that matter) does anything. To achieve reliability by protecting against the least common denominator.

In this case, it would be to protect against dudes who drive their trucks hard and shut them off red hot.

If you are doing that regularly, I would agree, install the waterlines. But if not, they are redundant during normal operation.

atl is right,
when designing a mechanical device you have to design it for everyone.... even the idiots who rip all the up to their front door and shut off their truck the second they are in the driveway, designing for all these type scenarios is why toyota is good at making things last,
but once you understand the WHY behind the engineering decisions you are no longer bound by them....
you dont need to add another constant heat multiplier to the cooling system.... unless you intend to let people who dont understand this drive your truck.... like your teenagers..... bad decision in the first place though

gturbo says you don’t need it.
Toyota comes with it from the factory.

It’s up to you if you want to run it or not.

Cool story. Diesels don't need water lines and there are hundreds of turbos made without them.

If diesels needed water cooling lines then 100% of turbochargers would have them.

Cool story. Diesels don't need water lines and there are hundreds of turbos made without them.

If diesels needed water cooling lines then 100% of turbochargers would have them.
Different turbos are made with different design concepts. Some need them some don't. Diesel or gas is irrelevant. Shut down procedures are only a small component of the issue. The issue lies in the extreme heat the turbo makes under heavy loads. Your pyrometer readings only give you the air temperatures going through the turbo not the temp the turbo is subject to. When you have 200 degree coolant flowing through an 800 degree turbo it cools it.

Engines don't need oil squirters but some have some.
Pickup trucks don't need drum brakes but some have some.
Engines don't need oil coolers but some have some.
Wheels don't need TPM sensors but some have some.

Why are you so against water cooled turbos? What a weird hill to die on.

Different turbos are made with different design concepts. Some need them some don't. Diesel or gas is irrelevant. Shut down procedures are only a small component of the issue. The issue lies in the extreme heat the turbo makes under heavy loads. Your pyrometer readings only give you the air temperatures going through the turbo not the temp the turbo is subject to. When you have 200 degree coolant flowing through an 800 degree turbo it cools it.

Nope.
Turbochargers in operation are oil cooled. All of them.
Water cooling is only for shut-down.

See diesel engines are unthrottled and at idle put through a whole heap of cool air. So cooling a turbocharger on a diesel is easy.
See petrol/gasoline engines are throttled so you try to idle them and the exhaust doesn't cool down as much. Hence the need for water cooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom