12HT turbo coolant line alteration? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys. I have a badly cracked coolant tube for my turbo.

I welded it and added a layer of JB weld for good measure. I’d rather future-proof this if possible.

My question: what does this tube do? I can’t find a return line of any kind really. Also, Is the valve/adjuster thing necessary? Can I just form a new stainless line, CNC a new adapter plate and run a tube from the original engine port to the turbo? Do I need that middle portion?

C6693961-F240-4482-8FC1-747B2F25F806.jpeg

DB5AFA3C-E684-4DA5-9961-4FF8FED98731.jpeg

36435968-61E1-4DAC-A93F-57A3AD06B4E0.jpeg

That line is the coolant drain from the turbo back into the block.

It's better to braze those pipes instead of welding... that could be a temporary solution or if well made maybe even permanent. Use the solder sparingly with enough heat - you don't want to end up with a thick build up of solder inside the pipe. Check for that after brazing.

I would repair it the following way - heat the cast iron part and remove the damaged tube which is brazed into it and replace (braze in) it with a new fabricated one - use a good pipe flaring tool to create that sealing hump and reuse the original fitting. If you can't access such a tool you may need to alter the fixation at the engine side with annother -Olive- type of fitting.
There are also aftermarket flexible hose solutions for the CT26 available - that could be interesting too.

That middle part - I think you described is as a adjuster is actually your main coolant drain at the engine block. You don't want to delete it.

With the right tools it is not that difficult - without you might need to ask the right people to do it for you.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
I went with a weld repair and a layer of JB weld for good measure. Already putting together a stainless steel flared tube and plasma cut plate for the turbo.

Going to delete the engine block coolant drain thing. If I need to drain the block I’ll just remove the tube from the block. Same result. I can live with some spilled coolant.

Thanks for the help.

Turbo coolant lines on a diesel aren't needed. They're usually there because the same turbo components are used for petrol engines.

So if you can't get a good repair, you can just blank them off. I like to leave one blank as a not perfect seal so it doesn't self pressurise.

Drill out the old pipe as best you can from cast housing and have someone bend a new line up and braze it in place? Then reuse the old fitting that way.

Or instead of drilling, clean the paint all off and see how the original pipe is sealed, my assumption if its like any other toyota pipe fitting, they braze it with what I assume either copper or brass based on the yellowy finish (this is where I lose any knowledge without googling).

I'd assume (still guessing here) you should be able to heat the fitting a lot to melt the brazing and remove the pipe.

That all said - drilling out the pipe carefully would likely be the easier method and brazing in a new pipe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom