Tundra wheels on Landcruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@B3A5T nice. I used a 2" hole saw, worked like a dream.
Couple of things I learned thru the process. Not ALL Tundra wheels fit. I learned this the hard way bc I bought a set of 09 Tundra wheels that fit perfectly in the rear but there way no way possible to fit up front (we tried spacers we considered boring out etc).
This is the model to stay away from:
View attachment 934073

With regards to the "hub caps" yes you can go with the 100 series up front but imho they clash with the a Tundra flush look in the rear. Solution? Got a Dremel?

MK reply: 1) i love Dremels (my old man even files his toenails w/his, tmi ;) ), but, 2) I agree with the clash if you mix/match the hub covers -- I simply used the OEM LC hubs on the front AND the rear. At first, it looked 'funny' because I was used to seeing those (tundra) rims with the flat cover, but after about a week I never even gave it a second look/thought. Looks great. Try it for a couple weeks and see - looks better imo than nothing or a cut out (esp here in Northeast where rust makes any innards look unsightly (i.e, rusty dust caps, hub studs/etc.)

@dubitup
Come think of it your way is def the easiest and more accurate way.

@MikeK

I agree no mix and match, all four with 100s caps looks good. And I can see your point with regards to salt etc.

I have the 20 inch Platinum Tundra wheels on my LX. Drives much better and actually improved mileage.
I have the center cap problem on the front wheels but I just live with it.

Couple of things I learned thru the process. Not ALL Tundra wheels fit. I learned this the hard way bc I bought a set of 09 Tundra wheels that fit perfectly in the rear but there way no way possible to fit up front (we tried spacers we considered boring out etc).
This is the model to stay away from:
View attachment 934073

With regards to the "hub caps" yes you can go with the 100 series up front but imho they clash with the a Tundra flush look in the rear. Solution? Got a Dremel?

Here's mine:
View attachment 934071 View attachment 934072
Damn those look nice!
20's are too big IMHO but the 18's fit just rightly nice work

b3a5t... Which model Tundra wheel did you find didn't fit? That link is broken. Thanks!

b3a5t... Which model Tundra wheel did you find didn't fit? That link is broken. Thanks!

@Manhattan

Heres a pic, I dont know the model but you can differentiate from others bc they are flat and have "dimples" furthermore the space for the hub is small (you can see the hub cap)

IMG_3467.JPG

Whew. Thanks B3A5T. I've got this anxiety that, after all the effort to find a set of the 18" Tundra steel wheels - with the holes, not the 5-point start... having them media blasted, powder coated... I'd discover they don't fit for some reason. They're back in the box, tucked away in the attic - waiting for the current BFGs to wear out. I'm going to swap wheels when it's time for tires again.

IMG_6052.jpg

Side note, the powder coat supplier was great - sent a bunch of sample color on thin aluminum plates. This lets you test the colors in various lighting conditions. The flexible sample plates let you look at them flat, curved, etc. I picked a color that matches one of the 4 grays in the trim and, like the paint on the body, the powder looks different in different light...
IMG_6050.jpg

Last edited:
@Manhattan

Those look great! Those for sure will fit.
For future reference to those looking at doing this check out the size where the hub meets the rim, it should be as large as the ones Manhattan posted. Anything less in diameter will not fit the front.

Whew. Thanks B3A5T. I've got this anxiety that, after all the effort to find a set of the 18" Tundra steel wheels - with the holes, not the 5-point start... having them media blasted, powder coated... I'd discover they don't fit for some reason. They're back in the box, tucked away in the attic - waiting for the current BFGs to wear out. I'm going to swap wheels when it's time for tires again.

Side note, the powder coat supplier was great - sent a bunch of sample color on thin aluminum plates. This lets you test the colors in various lighting conditions. The flexible sample plates let you look at them flat, curved, etc. I picked a color that matches one of the 4 grays in the trim and, like the paint on the body, the powder looks different in different light...

Those came out great.

@Manhattan

Those look great! Those for sure will fit.
For future reference to those looking at doing this check out the size where the hub meets the rim, it should be as large as the ones Manhattan posted. Anything less in diameter will not fit the front.

Hi B3A5T,

Thank you for the very useful info you've shared. I'm sure a lot of members will benefit from your responses.

Just a question, were you referring to this when you were talking about "where the hub meets the rim"?

I know this is not the flat rim and has a different hub, but I just wanted to make sure before I make my purchase. RIM1.jpg Rim2.jpg Will this rim model fit? Thanks

The Tundra Alloy rim on the picture to the right (with tire)...will definitely fit. There's a picture somewhere around here with a black '99(?) LC with those on it and it looked pretty good. What he meant by 'where the hub meets the rim', is that the front wheel hub (on the end of the axle, dust cap, bearings cover, etc.) -- that 'hub' extends farther out than on the Tundra, and the diameter of the rim has to fit around that hub. So if the hole in the diameter of the rims is only 2 inches - it won't work. The center hole in the OEM 05 LC is about 4". (btw, rear axle is not a problem).

The Tundra Alloy rim on the picture to the right (with tire)...will definitely fit. There's a picture somewhere around here with a black '99(?) LC with those on it and it looked pretty good. What he meant by 'where the hub meets the rim', is that the front wheel hub (on the end of the axle, dust cap, bearings cover, etc.) -- that 'hub' extends farther out than on the Tundra, and the diameter of the rim has to fit around that hub. So if the hole in the diameter of the rims is only 2 inches - it won't work. The center hole in the OEM 05 LC is about 4". (btw, rear axle is not a problem).

Hi B3A5T,

Thank you for the very useful info you've shared. I'm sure a lot of members will benefit from your responses.

Just a question, were you referring to this when you were talking about "where the hub meets the rim"?

I know this is not the flat rim and has a different hub, but I just wanted to make sure before I make my purchase. View attachment 947696 View attachment 947698 Will this rim model fit? Thanks
Hi,
Well what I meant is the hub size (I think that's the name for it apologies of it's not). You see the size of the circumference inside the lug nuts in the steel wheel? You want the same diameter, anything smaller will not work. I'm not familiar with the model wheel you want to buy but if you take the hub cap off and the diameter is the same as in the steel wheel you are good. Come to think of it, those look like the ones I bought so it should work.
Hope I made sense.

Stay away from:
image.jpg
Here's the model I bought
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
You will need to cut the hub or use like this:

image.jpg

No clue why I posted full size and double, my apologies

Last edited:
Thanks Mikek and B3A5T for your prompt reply.

On to the second concern, if you don't mind.
The rims are selling with 275/65 R18's. It's going to be about, if I am reading this right, about 1 inch taller than what is recommended at
a wheel size website where they recommend 275/65R17 for a 4.7 TLC.

Aside from the expected braking distance and handling differences, do you expect any untoward effects in using that size of wheels (i.e scraping the wheel well?).

Thanks in advance.

you will not have any issues with 275/65/18's, I have tundra wheels with them on the LX and no issues:

Note: the center caps used are the ones from the 18" LC wheels I got on ebay, they clear the hubs and fit the tundra wheels much better than the stock 16" wheel center caps do.

3acefaee-7d7e-4796-a1d3-56c0f2660968_zps775e16e4.jpg

I also have another style tundra wheel with 285/65/18's on my LC that worked fine with stock suspension and now with 30mm lift:

FullSizeRender_zps70d36e3e.jpg

Last edited:
Continuation...

That is, without any lift. Thanks again.

The pics I posted are of 275/70R18 on a oem suspension. No issues whatsoever. They replaced my 295/75R16. The 18s are about an inch to 1.25 inch taller than the 16s (which are 33s). Both sets are BFGs AT TAs. I've heard that manufacturers differ in actual size. I know tire rack offers a chart of the actual size for each model tire. I would find the brand they are selling to you and cross ref w the BFGs. But most likely you won't have any issues. I can't see any possibility of the fronts touching the inner well with daily driving.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom