TTT -- The Tool Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe theoretically, but in practice not really. It takes a lot to make a big large chuck deflect.

Coming from your wealth of experience? :flipoff2:

While not "gospel", the big YT machinists claim turning between centers, especially when your only clamping surface is not machined (as is the case with an axle shaft), is the best way to keep a part concentric to the axis of the lathe.

I worked as a lathe operator building vacuum fixtures for major university labs and NASA, I’m not a complete n00b :flipoff2:

Anyone in Charlotte have a 54mm spindle socket they would be willing to let me borrow for a week? I ordered one online but its back ordered and I have an axle to tear apart on Thursday in PA.

Anyone in Charlotte have a 54mm spindle socket they would be willing to let me borrow for a week? I ordered one online but its back ordered and I have an axle to tear apart on Thursday in PA.

Sure. I’m near south park and won’t be tearing into my front axle for a while if that logistically works for you.

That would be great. I have a few hats I have to get to @JohnVee so that works. Would Wednesday night work?

Got one too, let me know. Also have the magic pliers needed for the ring.

Woodworking tools this week. Building a craftsman style bed frame for Laura and I before moving onto the next metalworking/truck project for a change of pace. Wanted a chop saw station and router table for this project. Decided to re-purpose an old worktable shelf, then combine the chop saw station with the router table to make a rolling woodworking station. Still have to stick casters on. Built this out of scraps and material I already had at the house.

UDfY9IrSOmN6hkrm5Hf-LzNmStDAKhD8ur8wd3x9pwAxTx7N88Jx3ptSpbKArBI0nLpZyH10q9nSysKaH-6NkIfyDvfd9qsxJEvG1hBn2RZINCoY85yX2N37BewxuEEQaCq4EbxdxYPcU8UXleyC9Ok_CqMp3JJdMeGAVnu0NUZKlbz_HAkTHZ6fStoef6EGGcaivFd3AKzNgMK992FSDHFdQje1nyxLo19DLUKfVmrSACTTJNiMLVSRyylh2pQmaLy5BQigP55BHzlBT1sxlSSZcu0hHqaqKxpkUsq7YMnPgFLB0D1ugrN2XeJVEvVB2AlFV49DUFvktp9402dDJicn7SixGIuMfpjiHlVr_WVQBV_-axYstNA4jhpQappmYmsrQ2wmxjnVpLJi2QzOrphyEXG5_4-0a1NWadmQXWUFu68olUug_yi-SXZ-_HG37XNJLH8IkkWTkYEKSVfKA86_Q5cz0dJkOnkH07OLDLrP4yuEp2pfNHPx6Zv4MfmialrbThfE_8TEelGBITUf_HbZnX52nTDTpzHRNVdtBJLozuWL1j1sm_wEKgYQHbvGVQ_H-VcF3pc4BuB6HFA43qqFQjuz5IKmiLzmx3x5=w1197-h888-no

Routing table still needs a fence, but it will work well for molding bits with bearing followers before I get to that point.

8Dmxp0AkTDCi-DaSYYyspavzVZxsdLxmhQ6b7RtKOhRYVw5y2Rm0vQnYxmEoytTC44yZDPZ39Kr8r-0KsVZqigTQ24uoIDJv5j98mJ3bY06rZ6WcMk7J_8PLmzkFhhQvDSpD9RFwXl6Nu4ca4qvMKQyEfSAJMhxjc40SwsrEp1-dtumwrWd5GFqrm33CKToNYbkwNo1K1v6efUsvPdgF1gW3Vce3-IZIfCQLdSp-qE52IWnDmvNGC2au8ICT8yONyL70E4E7kfr9U8ofGR7UdJwuNSNzHvXXQiw4AB4qFlXJ1yIyLS0j8MLCgKG6fiuYQk5VM9C-97ALwDMTc3njt6B-WGnsJFPqz-n1nqRqocQsYAYVJnMaihqinMyX4MGi_rN8_svrEdZ3yKJAOEjlkF3X-zkYhZQPIReZ6dL9u0u8PgCTMLP722NnpoKz-g7veM1ffDw2TZ0dN4fmuP4etyA-Vt7QcBlhG_qLwG8vyv7RFnlVVYj-Qz0IBSW0JYO6h8BQHVYYBcEeTcHeKd8ozPTF9MW6s1uFOu3Xv7uGtFG8wnviomVCzgSuuImwGQk1cDJVrKirY_5Nf-xeBpHGbJaEc77VG_sw3JAdnzHT=w1197-h888-no

supNDbqy3KaNLuXPsfpX_ZRPEik0WVPbOpZ4HgZO744xuaVsYHL5AwDYu2urLtaA1spFfLnPkrb44afuLeK3Y3Mbq6HnWmXWIfobXE-Ns6CGNNfFN0ee9wkAFB02ZnGTgAfJDXtoj4kpQ5HkXk_yYIADXc0uJsuzwyuGIDdRE79-vFrkMVibMkoO0EmZwni8gwNS-dAvvN1CW-1iGBIDN7TamJOkYYwkpv_MnBWpOXNsuly5tnejC14ip9zrDBL7LHC5QPnMCIAeV720Mjh6fN0KjqpqlYLsx8VwHQ1vL0s_srWkgbxnhGlPlLyXKQAuwvW790cxIhXqw2jiT-eyO3jM5h8-Baf88QkHT11GkVeqvzHe0XQg6i0_isDXSzUAaQi0F7NdRGL2pOQUUrAZoqr_I6n8k7Qjyb88srZ7D7amEE4kWmVwkLQMIcQHiYpzbcyM-IiEp-pX2kt1BFtEJOCPrGVzTmpqde424TdHZprj4EBWrcYG1uT_KBymYfqTTAGWLZYK1Co72IcIoqljF9fM00X9GVdHRnHAKD2vEgFVHwqvyxRr51tJg_uoMM5HAMhu9fDssjANWPNxuetc6GuWiWpQazLzYoGUJPsL=w1197-h888-no

Coming from your wealth of experience? :flipoff2:

While not "gospel", the big YT machinists claim turning between centers, especially when your only clamping surface is not machined (as is the case with an axle shaft), is the best way to keep a part concentric to the axis of the lathe.
Yes, as long as you also have a steadyrest. If you don't he's right.

Woodworking tools this week. Building a craftsman style bed frame for Laura and I before moving onto the next metalworking/truck project for a change of pace. Wanted a chop saw station and router table for this project. Decided to re-purpose an old worktable shelf, then combine the chop saw station with the router table to make a rolling woodworking station. Still have to stick casters on. Built this out of scraps and material I already had at the house.

Routing table still needs a fence, but it will work well for molding bits with bearing followers before I get to that point.

The Stickley Brothers books have a lot of great plans for craftman style furniture. I have an old reprint of their stuff, made all my daughter's furniture from their "child" collection. I like the "no curves" as I suck at curving wood!

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Authe...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DE4V9Z2NJK1XQ5YSCCVE

Hell yeah man, thank you!! Will order that book and read it for sure.
This one is better, but harder to find. Has the original Gustav and Leon Stickley plans that they first created. Some amazing stuff and simple. My wife and I would go to the Stickley showroom in Pittsford, she would distract the sales lady and I would verify measurements. Then go home and make the stuff with quarter sawn oak from PA.

ED866F22-9534-4149-99A4-34A77306493F.jpeg
99520D6E-9110-4AF1-B824-87932EC6A7D5.jpeg

That article is garbage. I've had their floor jacks for going on 7 years now. Only issue I had with one was when I left it out in the rain, in a spot that literally flooded the jack, and even then, their warranty let me get a brand new one for free.

Everyone on garage journal loves their toolboxes, saying that it's a better value than craftsman, husky and even snap-on.

HF ratchets suck giant nuts IMO. Would never touch them.

Most people love their badlands winches, especially when improved upon with some extra waterproofing.

While there are some things I avoid at HF, I don't think this article is a valid guide on what to avoid.

That article is garbage. I've had their floor jacks for going on 7 years now. Only issue I had with one was when I left it out in the rain, in a spot that literally flooded the jack, and even then, their warranty let me get a brand new one for free.

Everyone on garage journal loves their toolboxes, saying that it's a better value than craftsman, husky and even snap-on.

HF ratchets suck giant nuts IMO. Would never touch them.

Most people love their badlands winches, especially when improved upon with some extra waterproofing.

While there are some things I avoid at HF, I don't think this article is a valid guide on what to avoid.

I have 2 of their rolling tool chests that I built into a work bench. They've been great and do feel much more sturdy then any Craftsman or Husky box that I owned / have owned.

My only complaint was the rubber liners smelled like something that could give nature cancer...was fierce and took months to go away.

Oh...and the tool carts are the exact same build as the chests...so either they box are 'do's' or don'ts. I'd choose do for both.

When your compressor motor and parts washer pump both die within a half hour of each other on a Friday afternoon you know it's time to go to the office and order some parts, repair parts for tools included.

HF Tool boxes are an absolute DO. I have been super impressed with mine- way cheaper than the Craftsman I have on top and it just feels more solid.
Parts washer however.....
It was really affordable(cheap) never actually moved any solvent, just sounded like rocks in a tumbler.

Parts washer, that's what mine sounds like now. New pump on the way

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom