Trying to understand off road capability 200 vs. Tundra (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wheelbase is another consideration. The 200 series wheel base is 112". The Tundra double cab is more than 30" longer.

Good thing my wife opens her mouth for one reason only .... ;)

The day she said a single word about my bike or car purchases, she will be history

Quoted for posterity...;)

The day she said a single word about my bike or car purchases, she will be history

And right after that, she'll get herself a lawyer and ask for 1/2. ;)

Wow. Classy.

@ryanCA Where is that icon of me shaking my head...

I'll take my wife over ANY truck ANY day. She is not replaceable.

Plus, she has been the one who purchased all of my mods on my 100 series.

This thread is getting sad. Trucks are things. Wives are people. People > Things.

Makes sense why your wife is not replaceable :)

Mine certainly is. :)

To each their own .

Maybe I''m getting grumpy in my current state...

...So I will simply say that you just overwhelmingly confirmed my earlier impressions of you.

Over and out.

Last edited:
I really like the new Tundras but, If I'm going to get a full size pickup it will have a diesel. I wish they'd bring something like Nissan did for the Titan.

Maybe I''m getting grumpy in my current state...

...So I will simply say that you just overwhelmingly confirmed my earlier impressions of you.

Over and out.

I just clicked the username in the avatar, then clicked ignore - problem solved ;)

Yes...I have thought a lot about this. I love my 80. I think it's one of the best all around vehicles ever assembled. The 1FZ-FE only has 118K miles on it and it runs PERFECT! An LS swap is the ultimate and would only set me back 15-20K. The only thing I hate about the 80 is the brakes...they SUUUCK and the added HP from a LS would only add to the frustration.
That's it? Your complaint is brakes? I'm sure there is a solution to this. Perhaps a different master cylinder or bigger booster.

I moved from a Tundra (2012 RW, Icon 2/1 lift and UCAs) to a 200 Series (2014) several months ago. It was great to be able to haul anything and everything you want in the Tundra, but I made the mistake of driving a low-mileage 200 series while I was waiting for service at the dealer. I worked the Tundra pretty good, its a big vehicle, and didn't always want to fit where I was going - whether that was around town here (dense traffic and lots of people) or out on a trail. The 200 is still a big vehicle, but it feels a little more nimble than the Tundra. Knowing it shares the 5.7 pretty much cinched the deal. The 200 is almost done with its build (OME 2" Heavy), but even in its stock form on street tires I was really pleased with its performance out in Ouray. Can't wait to see what it'll do now.

View attachment 1337355

Nice picture! I came from a 2013 Tundra rw crew max and while I loved the truck, it just felt too austere (even in limited trim) and it was terrible off road. Too big, too heavy, too long, not good enough traction aids.

The newer Tundras have much nicer interiors though, and the TRD Pro definitely gets my attention!

Still, there are plenty of reasons a Land Cruiser costs $20-$40k more out of the box. You're getting more of just about everything.

I would also mention to the posters concerned about the 200's off rod chops to check out some of the pics and stories about the 200 off road. Plenty of us have dinged up our brand new rigs plenty. They will go where you point them, including Tipover Challenge and Hells Revenge :)

I agree with the post about getting an LC and a Tundra!

Reviving an old thread. 2016 Tundra's are very nice. And cost about as much as a 2012-2013 LX 570. I would love a LC, but LCs are very very expensive!
LX has that AHC and I am not sure it will last 250K...

So its either a used Tundra (or a new Titan with the 13K dealer discounts going around).

Is a Truck bed dust proofable? Put a cap, put foam sealing, and duct tape the holes near the wheel well. Will that make a truck bed dust proof? I carry telescopes sometimes and astro cameras. That is the appeal of a truck.

LX 570 for 30K I am finding ones with 140K, and I am sure none of them every touched the AHC fluid. If it lasts 250K+ reliable, I can take that route.

Decisions decisions.

We have a GX 470 which got totalled after a crash very recently. Got her at 156K put in OME 2" and she was rocking like new at 220K. We put in 70,000 miles in 3.5 years. So long term reliability is a must. Our original plan was to run her till 300K before swapping.

Same deal with the next vehicle. Run for atleast 150-200K miles before swapping.
We do lots of fire roads, and mild offroad trails like Lake Leavitt and fins and things.

Reviving an old thread. 2016 Tundra's are very nice. And cost about as much as a 2012-2013 LX 570. I would love a LC, but LCs are very very expensive!

So its either a used Tundra (or a new Titan with the 13K dealer discounts going around).

Is a Truck bed dust proofable? Put a cap, put foam sealing, and duct tape the holes near the wheel well. Will that make a truck bed dust proof? I carry telescopes sometimes and astro cameras. That is the appeal of a truck.

LX 570 for 30K I am finding ones with 140K, and I am sure none of them every touched the AHC fluid. If it lasts 250K+ reliable, I can take that route.

Decisions decisions.

We have a GX 470 which got totalled after a crash very recently. Got her at 156K put in OME 2" and she was rocking like new at 220K. We put in 70,000 miles in 3.5 years. So long term reliability is a must. Our original plan was to run her till 300K before swapping.

Same deal with the next vehicle. Run for atleast 150-200K miles before swapping.
We do lots of fire roads, and mild offroad trails like Lake Leavitt and fins and things.
Only time I’ve seen these suspensions failing was when they were serviced and someone put brake fluid in instead of the proper AHC fluid. I’m going to change my AHC fluid between 60,000 and 90,000 miles I’m going to supply the Lexus dealer with the correct fluid so there’s no mistakes made. But mines a mall cruiser only been on smooth Florida roads.

Decisions decisions.

AHC on the 200 has done world journeys and proven itself. It's more robust than the 100 AHC. You're good to go with your needs and going AHC route. Id replace globes though if you're buying anything with 120-150k miles and running fire roads with it

there's a reason they're taking 13K off those new titans...probably many reasons (one being they are butt-ugly)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom