Truck ADD strikes again... '93 X-Cab SAS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

She got to hitch a ride and play in some mud for the weekend!

20230202-123748.jpg

20230202-155355.jpg

Not many pics, but it was a lot of fun. The clunking noise is getting worse and all the things I need to fix, I still need to fix. However, she just worked like she always does! This truck is the perfect trail truck recipe IMO.

Truck is awesome man. Definitely trying to follow in your footsteps. Where are you carrying your spare? Im searching for ideas for my truck right now.

Thanks! To be honest, the spare is usually just holding down my garage floor... I will make a mount for it someday, but for now it just lives on the trailer. That is if I even bring it along.

However, based on all the different ways I have organized truck beds, I would do a side box instead of a cross-over box. I would lay the tire down in the bed and build some sort of shelf above it. The side box setup is a lot more convenient that what I'm dealing with now!

Thanks! To be honest, the spare is usually just holding down my garage floor... I will make a mount for it someday, but for now it just lives on the trailer. That is if I even bring it along.

However, based on all the different ways I have organized truck beds, I would do a side box instead of a cross-over box. I would lay the tire down in the bed and build some sort of shelf above it. The side box setup is a lot more convenient that what I'm dealing with now!
I have a cross over box like your but a full size bed still. But even with the full bed 37s take up a lot of space. Might have to lose the box to fit a spare and gear..

I hate the crossover box! I end up just climbing into the bed whenever I need to get something. The side box was super convenient. This is how I had my '85 truck set up. If I didn't have the shocks coming through the bed, I would have built the deck to slide the tire underneath.

I hate the crossover box! I end up just climbing into the bed whenever I need to get something. The side box was super convenient. This is how I had my '85 truck set up. If I didn't have the shocks coming through the bed, I would have built the deck to slide the tire underneath.

Wow. Thanks for that. Might be my first welding project. A rack like that might be just what i need. Could store a spare under and secure gear above and in front.

Wow... Almost a year since my last post... I'm doing amazing! LOL

I ended up getting a Warn 8274 with a 1980 build date about a year ago. I slowly (really, really slowly) rebuilt the winch with some upgraded parts. I have always wanted an 8274 on my own rig, so I figured it was going to go on the gray truck... Eventually.

The winch has been mostly done (it needs power wires made and the rope spooled back on), but that is where my motivation stopped. Oh! I also sold the bumper and winch that was on the truck to help pay for the 8274 and rebuild. As a result, the truck has sat pretty much all year. My sorry excuse for a garage doesn't allow much room without moving everything around, so I wasn't very motivated to finish the project.

Well, the Saturday before New Year, my son and I were watching a rock crawling video on YouTube. That pushed my 4yo son to bust out his RC crawler.
20231230_160801.jpg

Which led to bigger obstacles...

20231230_161250.jpg

Which led to him asking me multiple times when I was going to take him rock crawling in the gray truck. He has been out with me in the LX, but never in the actual crawler wheeling hard. Even though I told him we would this last summer... I'm a horrible, unmotivated Father!

As a result of the guilt trip, a hairbrained idea was formed: I called my Dad (who actually has a shop) to see if I could trailer the gray truck out to his house, stay the weekend, and start a new bumper build. He was in! (I think it is important to note that my Dad lives a little over three hours away. And the most direct route is over Mt. Hood. What could go wrong?!?)

So I loaded the trailer and left Friday afternoon to shoot over the pass... With the first big winter storm nipped at my heels. Maybe we should have done this four months ago when I finished the winch. LOL!

By God's grace, I did actually beat the storm over to Dad's, but the pass was supposed to get hammered all weekend. The forecast called for measuring the snow in feet, not inches.... But anyway, back to the truck.

We started by adding NW Trail Innovations frame reinforcement bracket that I ended up acquiring somewhere. The old bumper had mangled my front crossmember from hard winch pulls and I needed all the strength I could get for the monster 8274!

414501879_395841552787215_2742500827689004971_n.jpg

Then we cut up an old Trail Gear bumper I acquired somewhere for the mounting placement and winch plate. After a lot of careful measuring and adjusting, we stacked an 8274 winch plate I acquired off of eBay.... And did a lot of burning metal.

412445463_1557360181745966_1013944185678776800_n.jpg

414518080_1127920581920436_8503997532434145742_n.jpg

416668988_1097590498086645_819332348913539236_n.jpg

And here is the end result!

415008167_268867019287109_3549845325649177191_n.jpg

412806975_237345019314818_3736231165737909023_n.jpg

A Warn 8274 is a HUGE winch. It is very tricky to make it look right on a Toyota Pickup without butchering the grill and radiator support. I think we got it pretty good. Maybe next summer I will decide on how I want the wings to look. LOL!

After a blitz fab weekend with my Dad, I loaded everything back up to head home. Due to the storm, I was forced to take the long way and avoid the pass. I'm happy to say the LX did great and I made it home safe. Seriously, my only complaint with the LX is the 8.5 MPG towing. LOL!

414484600_334431396131902_7553678579409244273_n.jpg

I need some help figuring out what is going on with my winch: I finally got around to wiring my freshly rebuilt 8274 yesterday. I am using a brand new Warn 77892 motor (from XD9000 or XD9000i) from Amazon and a new Albright DC88P-1000 from eBay that I purchased last June.

I wired the winch in accordance with this diagram:
DC88P-1000schematic.jpg

I connected F1, F2, and A from the contactor to the motor with 4ga wire. I then connected the ground from the motor to the battery with 2ga wire. As I was connecting the positive from the contactor to the battery with 2ga wire, I got all the sparks! Enough to show black marks on the lug.

I hoped that something was off since my remote wasn’t wired in yet. I am using an old 3-wire Warn controller, where white is hot, green is power in, and black is power out. I wired a ground from the center spade of the Albright to the ground stud on the winch motor. I wired the white to the positive lug of the Albright. The green wire went to the right spade and the black wire to the left spade. After this, I tried to connect the positive to the battery with more sparks. Out of frustration, I held the positive to the battery for a couple seconds. Nothing seemed to heat up and the motor on the winch didn’t turn.

At this time the positive cable going to the battery was still disconnected. I checked for continuity from the positive lug on the Albright to everywhere I could think of. It showed continuity to A, F1, F2, the winch housing, the winch motor, the solenoid backing plate… Something had to be wrong.

I disconnected all the wires from the four lugs of the contactor and tried for continuity again. This time there was no continuity from the positive lug to anything else.

I then used a jumper wire from my battery positive to the left and right spade posts on the Albright. There was a click, so I assume that side of the contactor is working.

Running out of ideas, I decided to plug in my controller, hold the positive to the battery and try to run the winch. As soon as I touched the positive cable, the winch started running and spinning the drum. I unplugged the controller and tried again. This time hardly any sparks and the motor didn’t run.
I am at a complete loss. The only thing I can think of is my brand new eBay Albright is shorting out internally, but I wanted to hear your opinion before I order a new one.

(Also, a special thanks to @gnob for taking the time to talk me through all the testing!)
(I'm going to tag @PIP on this too, since he knows these contactors. I have an Albright in a shopping cart on your website right now. LOL!)

Last edited:
I need some help figuring out what is going on with my winch: I finally got around to wiring my freshly rebuilt 8274 yesterday. I am using a brand new Warn 77892 motor (from XD9000 or XD9000i) from Amazon and a new Albright DC88P-1000 from eBay that I purchased last June.

I wired the winch in accordance with this diagram:
DC88P-1000schematic.jpg

I connected F1, F2, and A from the contactor to the motor with 4ga wire. I then connected the ground from the motor to the battery with 2ga wire. As I was connecting the positive from the contactor to the battery with 2ga wire, I got all the sparks! Enough to show black marks on the lug.

I hoped that something was off since my remote wasn’t wired in yet. I am using an old 3-wire Warn controller, where white is hot, green is power in, and black is power out. I wired a ground from the center spade of the Albright to the ground stud on the winch motor. I wired the white to the positive lug of the Albright. The green wire went to the right spade and the black wire to the left spade. After this, I tried to connect the positive to the battery with more sparks. Out of frustration, I held the positive to the battery for a couple seconds. Nothing seemed to heat up and the motor on the winch didn’t turn.

At this time the positive cable going to the battery was still disconnected. I checked for continuity from the positive lug on the Albright to everywhere I could think of. It showed continuity to A, F1, F2, the winch housing, the winch motor, the solenoid backing plate… Something had to be wrong.

I disconnected all the wires from the four lugs of the contactor and tried for continuity again. This time there was no continuity from the positive lug to anything else.

I then used a jumper wire from my battery positive to the left and right spade posts on the Albright. There was a click, so I assume that side of the contactor is working.

Running out of ideas, I decided to plug in my controller, hold the positive to the battery and try to run the winch. As soon as I touched the positive cable, the winch started running and spinning the drum. I unplugged the controller and tried again. This time hardly any sparks and the motor didn’t run.
I am at a complete loss. The only thing I can think of is my brand new eBay Albright is shorting out internally, but I wanted to hear your opinion before I order a new one.

(Also, a special thanks to @gnob for taking the time to talk me through all the testing!)
(I'm going to tag @PIP on this too, since he knows these contactors. I have an Albright in a shopping cart on your website right now. LOL!)

Sounds like your Albright is bad or wired wrong.

That's a diagram I drew for the Albrights I sell. I do not know if it works for knockoffs or not. The few knockoffs I've seen have the terminals labeled. The ones I sell do not have labeled terminals, but they match that diagram.

If you bought the Albright from me you don't need to buy another one. I stand behind the stuff I sell and will replace it if it's defective. Though I have not heard of one failing closed. The few failures I've seen have been the Albright clicks and nothing happens. It's always right out of the box too which makes me think it's got something to do with being banged around in shipping.

Sounds like your Albright is bad or wired wrong.

That's a diagram I drew for the Albrights I sell. I do not know if it works for knockoffs or not. The few knockoffs I've seen have the terminals labeled. The ones I sell do not have labeled terminals, but they match that diagram.

If you bought the Albright from me you don't need to buy another one. I stand behind the stuff I sell and will replace it if it's defective. Though I have not heard of one failing closed. The few failures I've seen have been the Albright clicks and nothing happens. It's always right out of the box too which makes me think it's got something to do with being banged around in shipping.

The Albright I have is the same Albright you sell. It is not a knock-off. I, too, think that I just ended up with a bad one... Unless I can't read the diagram correctly, which may be possible. LOL!

I'm honestly not sure if I bought it from (I didn't know about your business at the time), so I went ahead and ordered a new one from you website. I may try to do some more troubleshooting in the meantime, but I need to get this thing going!

Well, I'm dumb... I ordered a new Albright from @PIP and wired it in this weekend. Unfortunately, I was having the same issues. It was about that time that I realized my positive cable was arcing through the heat shrink to A and F1... Re-routed the positive cable so it was by itself and wrapped it in heater hose. Now everything is working as designed.

I almost made it four years before my truck ADD kicked back up... Soon the gray truck will go to it's new home and I will start playing with my new toy: Snugz the Toyota/Suzuki thing. I don't have a problem, you have a problem.

I almost made it four years before my truck ADD kicked back up... Soon the gray truck will go to it's new home and I will start playing with my new toy: Snugz the Toyota/Suzuki thing. I don't have a problem, you have a problem.
I know the pain, mine is flaring up and I want another vintage yota...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom