Troll Hole woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a troll hole carb on a '70 fj40. Some days it works great someday it is CRAP! I have had this carb for a few years and only recently really tried to get it run correctly. I tuned it as well as I could without a tach. Thought I had it running good but still went to a carb guy to see what he thought. He said I was pretty close. I got it from him and was very happy with the way it ran. I left it out over night and the next morning after wiping the dew off I started the fj up and it was horrible. I had to have the choke all the way out to get it to run. It was revving so high it was embarrassing. Thought crap and parked it. I started next day and it was purring like a kitten. I have reached out to a couple of guys to see if they could get me a rebuild carb to replace the temperamental troll hole carb. I haven't heard back from them. The one fellow from Ohio asked how I got a troll Hole carb on my f engine. I did and it seems to work. Used a cable throttle and an air filter kit from a flaps store. Here are some pics. I think I would like a rebuilt carb for it but haven't found a source. Anybody out there? Thanks,
Buck
20220831_102105.jpg
20220831_143855.jpg
20220831_143943.jpg

Been a long time . I did dump a bunch of sea foam into it. The fuel filter looks pretty good. How do I clean out the tank? It is a plastic tank.
Pull the fuel gauge sender and do a visual check inside and see if it has just in it. Probably ok if it's plastic. I would take it back to the carb guy and tell him the issues you still have.

What ignition system are you running and what condition is it in?

Also…. Says 70 FJ40; what build date? There’s no firewall rib, looks like it has the vacuum 4wd on the dash but not hooked up, looks like a Saginaw power steering box pump but not Saginaw box?

What ignition system are you running and what condition is it in?

Also…. Says 70 FJ40; what build date? There’s no firewall rib, looks like it has the vacuum 4wd on the dash but not hooked up, looks like a Saginaw power steering box pump but not Saginaw box?
It is a august '70 build. It does have saginaw power steering from a pontiac. I put the FJ in 4 wheel drive by the front hubs and put the transfer case in 4 Hi or Low. Just like an old jeep. I do have a switch on the dash that looks like a pair of wheels and axles I think. Never used it.

It is a august '70 build. It does have saginaw power steering from a pontiac. I put the FJ in 4 wheel drive by the front hubs and put the transfer case in 4 Hi or Low. Just like an old jeep. I do have a switch on the dash that looks like a pair of wheels and axles I think. Never used it.
Ok, I think the rib was gone by 8/70.
Pic of the dash switch and your 4 wd shifter?

I have a troll hole carb on a '70 fj40. Some days it works great someday it is CRAP! I have had this carb for a few years and only recently really tried to get it run correctly. I tuned it as well as I could without a tach. Thought I had it running good but still went to a carb guy to see what he thought. He said I was pretty close. I got it from him and was very happy with the way it ran. I left it out over night and the next morning after wiping the dew off I started the fj up and it was horrible. I had to have the choke all the way out to get it to run. It was revving so high it was embarrassing. Thought crap and parked it. I started next day and it was purring like a kitten. I have reached out to a couple of guys to see if they could get me a rebuild carb to replace the temperamental troll hole carb. I haven't heard back from them. The one fellow from Ohio asked how I got a troll Hole carb on my f engine. I did and it seems to work. Used a cable throttle and an air filter kit from a flaps store. Here are some pics. I think I would like a rebuilt carb for it but haven't found a source. Anybody out there? Thanks,
Buck View attachment 3107005View attachment 3107006View attachment 3107011

a general TECH. question here ,

- you mention having the Trolhole new carburetor for a few years

- was this few years in a box still or actually installed on your land cruiser ?

- how long has your truck been simply sitting dormant ?

- i see one RED FLAG ⛳ in your first TECH Photo , the K-Mart blue crimp-on electrical connector to the new fuel cut solenoid ......

- also , elaborate how you see the fuel filter looking pretty good ?

- photos of all the above point in detail will help confirm and verify possible contributing factors here one way or the other .....

make the above happen , and report back posted needed tech photos please

thanks ......

I bought the troll hole carb years ago 5-10 yrs ago. Installed right away but didn't do much after that. It probably didn't work right out of the box and I let it sit. It has been sitting 5-10 years in my garage (heated).
As for the blue light special crimp, it does give 12v when keyed on. Off when key is turned off.
Here is pic of fuel filter.
The distributor is a vac advance model. I have a voltage resistor on fire wall. Hope this helps. Buck

IMG_6494.jpg

20220906_120804.jpg

I bought the troll hole carb years ago 5-10 yrs ago. Installed right away but didn't do much after that. It probably didn't work right out of the box and I let it sit. It has been sitting 5-10 years in my garage (heated).
As for the blue light special crimp, it does give 12v when keyed on. Off when key is turned off.
Here is pic of fuel filter.
The distributor is a vac advance model. I have a voltage resistor on fire wall. Hope this helps. Buck

View attachment 3107568

View attachment 3107569

So it's been sitting for 5 to 10 years with gas in it. So how long do you think it takes gas to turn to lacquer and start blocking internal passages?

It’s been a few years, but my trollhole carburetor ran perfect out of the box. Bolted it to the engine and hit the key and it started and ran and idled.
Although the fj40 is a simple machine it’s a complex system. Bad or intermittent fuel delivery will give you that problem, are you running electric fuel pump or engine mounted mechanical pump? I’ve never been able to get an electric pump to work properly.
You should be able to buy a new mechanical one for less than $150 or get a rebuild kit from Cruiser Cult.
One of my cruisers had a bent part in the carb solenoid and would run intermittently.

Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit will sell you the proper carb kit, but first get your year and model from the Specter off road website, they have a page that shows Photos of all of the carburetors.

Once you have the kit, take it to an actual Carburetor shop that rebuilds them. There are still a few of them out there. I live in the Phoenix metro and there’s a place that does it for around 100 bucks. If you call your local Toyota store and ask them where they send carburetors you might get a lead on a good place.
If the carburetor has been sitting for any length of time (with fuel in it) it can give you problems. Best of luck. It’s a process.

It’s been a few years, but my trollhole carburetor ran perfect out of the box. Bolted it to the engine and hit the key and it started and ran and idled.
Although the fj40 is a simple machine it’s a complex system. Bad or intermittent fuel delivery will give you that problem, are you running electric fuel pump or engine mounted mechanical pump? I’ve never been able to get an electric pump to work properly.
You should be able to buy a new mechanical one for less than $150 or get a rebuild kit from Cruiser Cult.
One of my cruisers had a bent part in the carb solenoid and would run intermittently.

Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit will sell you the proper carb kit, but first get your year and model from the Specter off road website, they have a page that shows Photos of all of the carburetors.

Once you have the kit, take it to an actual Carburetor shop that rebuilds them. There are still a few of them out there. I live in the Phoenix metro and there’s a place that does it for around 100 bucks. If you call your local Toyota store and ask them where they send carburetors you might get a lead on a good place.
If the carburetor has been sitting for any length of time (with fuel in it) it can give you problems. Best of luck. It’s a process.
I am using the mechanical fuel pump. The only carb I have for the FJ is the trollhole carb. I can get a carb kit from cruiser outfitters for the troll hole carb? Or should I contact Troll Hole and get a carb kit?

Buck

I agree the symptoms of running good, not running good, indicate fuel delivery and given the time sitting I would bet the mechanic had carb working, you stated such, ran good, then it picked up crap in a fuel line, pump, tank and did not run well, entire system needs to be gone thru, carb, lines, pump, tank before you can determine more, IMO. You can smell the old gas smell at the tank and in the carb when you tear it down, its awful & distinctive.

I had a trollhole carb running great for years. Installed a rear gas tank that had some dirt in it and it got sucked into the carburetor. Similar issues you are facing — cleaned the tank, added an extra fuel filter, and slapped on an extra carburetor to get it running.

I am using the mechanical fuel pump. The only carb I have for the FJ is the trollhole carb. I can get a carb kit from cruiser outfitters for the troll hole carb? Or should I contact Troll Hole and get a carb kit?

Buck
Yes, a troll hole carb is a version of the fj40 carburetor. Look at the photos, pick yours, then find the kit and order it.

Then take the kit to a carb rebuilder and pay them the money to rebuild it.

Or watch the @pinhead videos on youtube and rebuild yourself. (I've tried this and failed; hired a professional and it worked.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom