Transmission & Transfer Case Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,

I have a '76 fj40 with a few issues that I need to tackle that will involve removing the transmission and transfer case. the issues that I know of are: I have a bad throw-out bearing & a bad transfer case output shaft bearing and seal. The truck was run extremely low on transfer case fluid by a previous owner for an unknown amount of time. I am exploring the possibility of rebuilding the transfer case while I have everything out. I am running 33x10.50x15 tires and like most others, could use a little more top end for highway use. I know that there are entire transfer cases available that are geared to keep the low end low and increase the top end in 2 high. I just don't know which ones folks have had good luck with or if it is worth the $ to make the change. I think that I can simply replace the clutch and rebuild the transfer case for roughly $600. I could spend up to a few thousand on the project if it would be a good upgrade, but cant really afford to spend more that $3,000 at this point. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-John

Not sure about gearing options in the Orion but the pre 8/80 transfer case only option for the ones mated to a four speed is three speed case gears which are lower in low range. The 8/80+ split transfer cases have some different after market gearing but think those are all low range. The 4 to one gears actually lower the high range.

Hello,

I have a '76 fj40 with a few issues that I need to tackle that will involve removing the transmission and transfer case. the issues that I know of are: I have a bad throw-out bearing & a bad transfer case output shaft bearing and seal. The truck was run extremely low on transfer case fluid by a previous owner for an unknown amount of time. I am exploring the possibility of rebuilding the transfer case while I have everything out. I am running 33x10.50x15 tires and like most others, could use a little more top end for highway use. I know that there are entire transfer cases available that are geared to keep the low end low and increase the top end in 2 high. I just don't know which ones folks have had good luck with or if it is worth the $ to make the change. I think that I can simply replace the clutch and rebuild the transfer case for roughly $600. I could spend up to a few thousand on the project if it would be a good upgrade, but cant really afford to spend more that $3,000 at this point. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-John
H55F 5 speed transmission, larger tires, or re-gear your diffs if you want lower highway RPMs. Most aftermarket transfer case gear sets are to make low range slower.

Check your trans fluid and see if it's overfilled. When the seal goes bad between the trans and tcase, the tcase pumps its gear oil into the trans. As @John Smith said larger tires, an overdrive trans or lower numerical lower gears will lower high range rpms. 79 and later model FJ40's and 60's came with 3.70:1 3rd members that can be found and swapped in.

Check your trans fluid and see if it's overfilled. When the seal goes bad between the trans and tcase, the tcase pumps its gear oil into the trans. ...
I think that also happens when the splines on the shaft between the transmission and transfer wear, as they always do.

I think that also happens when the splines on the shaft between the transmission and transfer wear, as they always do.

Worn splines and worn bearings.

I was taught a long time ago, usually when a seal leaks it is most likely a bearing behind it has failed. There's usually a reason a bearing fails.

Check your trans fluid and see if it's overfilled. When the seal goes bad between the trans and tcase, the tcase pumps its gear oil into the trans. As @John Smith said larger tires, an overdrive trans or lower numerical lower gears will lower high range rpms. 79 and later model FJ40's and 60's came with 3.70:1 3rd members that can be found and swapped in.

You can skin that cat a couple different ways. @pb4ugo ^^^ referenced sourcing 60 series 3rd members. I swapped 3.70:1 early in my journey down the rabbit hole. Still enough low end grunt in H4 or L4 with the stock 4spd/TCase. Easier on the RPMs, a few more MPH on your way to a DAWGS game. You won’t set any land speed records but, I don’t reckon any of thos GA co-eds will mind. I’m little dodgy on long steep climbs, I can hold my own in front of a logging or coal truck but, I pi$$ off the mail lady on occasion.. You get up into N Georgia that may be an issue. This, IMHO was the most cost effective solution for me above H55 and a split case (Which is a great option if you have the extra $$$).

Good Luck, “Go Dawgs”..

Last edited:
If you can afford a H55F and a split transfer case you get a lower 1st with the OD in 5th. You can have an over drive in the TC input and get 3/4:1 low range.
My set up has the in put gearing 1:1 and did 3:1 for the low range.

If you go this rout Georg at Valley Hybrids will have a conversation with you for what you want and how you use your Land Cruiser.

Last edited:
FWIW, I just just swapped in an Orion case built by Georg at Valley Hybrids. My truck is a 1980 with 3.73 diffs, 33" tires and a 4 speed. I can still do 65 mph on the tarmac with the taller tires, but my low range is now lower (4.11 equivalent final??), so I'm liking this setup more and more. The Orion (dual stick) is very quiet... I can almost hear myself think at 65... I know, scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom