[SOLVED] Help with transmission & transfer case parts for 1972 Bandeirante (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dmi

Threads
Updating first post for easier navigation

Hi, got myself in a pickle rebuilding this transmission, thought it would be easy, toyota and all, just get a rebuild kit, and good to go. Turns out no. Looks like this is not a toyota transmission.
Any help sourcing parts (bearings, seals, brass bushings for reverse idler) would be much appreciated. Attaching some pictures.
I did get in touch with Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers Shop and they couldn't help with it since it is not a toyota transmission.

Unique thing about this, is that it doesn't use needle bearings on the reverse idler shaft. and reverse has two gears. If I'm not mistaken about it. Instead of bearings, there used to be two brass bushings.
1705713164040.png
1705713180121.png
1705713206693.png
1705713223880.png

1705713260557.png

Last edited:
No clue. Making bushing isn't all that hard with even a small lathe. Perhaps someone did a repair in the past. Maybe ones made from something like oil impregnated phosphor bronze would have held up better. If you can get accurate measurement, there are books/catalogs that can help you find a seal that might work.

Might be a lot easier to find a gear box with the proper bolt pattern to fit the bell housing/transfer or an adapter plates.

Reactions: Dmi
I have a feeling this was factory made, there are grooves in the gear shaft, that accept the bumps on the bushings. If only I had a lathe in the vicinity. Will try to ask ASB - American Sleeve Bearing: sleeve bearings & bushing manufacturer - https://asbbearings.com/ to make me some, the diameters are odd on these too with ID of about 22mm and OD of about 25mm (about being the worn parts, fluctuates in .4mm)
But I can't find any seals for it either, At least bearings were identified =)

1705718401179.png

This looks more like a FJ25 four speed transmission. Transfer case was cast iron not aluminum. It also did not have a low range. Toyota used three speed in the US up to 1974 in the 40 series. 72 and 73 a four speed was offered in some markets that was different than the H 41/H42. There may have been some in South America. HJ45 also had a four speed back to 1972. Australia used it in the 1973 FJ40. Real question is what engine do you have? Have a F engine then I would change to either a three speed or H41 or H42. H41 has lower gears. Both are one to one in forth gear. First gear in in the J30 three speed is not syncronized. Both the H41 and H42 are. In a FJ40 built in Japan before 9/72 a four is a tight fit at best. But it's been done many times. Posting a picture of the top cover might help someone recognize the transmission. Some countries have different import rules requiring how much came be imported. Brazil was one of countries. If you have an F engine choice of a different transmission will be easier. I know Mercedes Benz diesels were used for years but not sure when

This looks more like a FJ25 four speed transmission. Transfer case was cast iron not aluminum. It also did not have a low range. Toyota used three speed in the US up to 1974 in the 40 series. 72 and 73 a four speed was offered in some markets that was different than the H 41/H42. There may have been some in South America. HJ45 also had a four speed back to 1972. Australia used it in the 1973 FJ40. Real question is what engine do you have? Have a F engine then I would change to either a three speed or H41 or H42. H41 has lower gears. Both are one to one in forth gear. First gear in in the J30 three speed is not syncronized. Both the H41 and H42 are. In a FJ40 built in Japan before 9/72 a four is a tight fit at best. But it's been done many times. Posting a picture of the top cover might help someone recognize the transmission. Some countries have different import rules requiring how much came be imported. Brazil was one of countries. If you have an F engine choice of a different transmission will be easier. I know Mercedes Benz diesels were used for years but not sure when
You might be on the right track with the fj25 guess. I've looked up the parts manual for it and the idler gear seems to be very close to what Im dealing with.
Attaching the top cover pics as well.

IMG_20240120_095142_778.jpg

IMG_20240120_095142_196.jpg

IMG_20240120_095142_181.jpg

While it looks close to a FJ25 four speed the top cover is one solid piece. Appears to be the same on the 40 series early four speed.
This is a top cover from an FJ25.
IMG_20200216_124306149.jpg
IMG_20200216_124318743.jpg

What engine do you have? Not a F engine could possibly be some transmission Toyota copied.

I do see the top cover has similar letters and numbers as the FJ25 top cover. Cover has the TEQ cast in it as well.

Last edited:
What engine do you have?
The engine is OM-314 by Mercedez Benz.
Castings do have TEQ on it, but I didn't pay too much attention to it, according to Valley Hybrids, when Bandeirante purchased castings from Toyota things gone wild :) SO it could be anything.
BJ25/FJ25 seems to be close, but still not the exact.
From the parts manual of BJ25 page 77 shows the top cover like @Living in the Past posted. But mine can be taken apart. Following the naming scheme of the parts in the manual, the tranny casting has (first post pics):
Code:
2BJ 331119
I guess it's something related to BJ series :)
This part number is in the parts manual, BUT without 9 in the end. Just BJ 33111. Also the cover part number is matching the parts manual, making things more confusing for me.

Another mismatch - idler gear, shows one bushing, but not the other. And no grooves in the sliding gear to fixate the bushings.
1705793918723.png

Quick update, of all places - Ace Hardware had some bushings in stock, that were very close to what was needed.
The list of bearings and the seals is coming later, after assembly is completed.
1707699536905.png

1707699586664.png

Hi all,

Bandys up to 1982 were fitted with a 4 speed transmission and a T-case without low gear (known in Brazil as "caixa seca", because of the unsyncronized first and second gears), manufactured by Toyota, not exactly sure but almost sure is a H41 transmission. It was only after 1982 that came the H42 transmission, with H2, H4 and L4...

Here's the official Toyota parts catalog for the bandeirante, with exploded views of the parts. This manual was divided in 4 files due to it's size, and it is entirely written in portuguese, but nowadays, with the help of good old google translate, you guys can enjoy it fairly easy... Scan quality is poor, as the original is pretty old and was used very often, but is the best available online...

Attachments

• Catalogo de Peças Toyota - Pag 217 a 324-1.pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 49
  • Catalogo de Peças Toyota - Pag 1 a 108.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 48
  • Catalogo de Peças Toyota - Pag 109 a 216.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 60
  • Catalogo de Peças Toyota - Pag 325 a 429 final.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 52
@iquemo - thank you so much for sharing this!

Posting the list of bearings and seals used for rebuild. Gaskets - you know the drill - scissors and some gasket paper.
Keep in mind - your mileage may vary! The sizes are only true to what I had to deal with in this particular vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom