What Transmission and Transfer Case in my 73? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Come this Monday I will bringing home a 73 FJ 40 it's a bit rough but has some good modifications to it. The motor is a small block 350 Chevy the transmission is cast iron and looks to possibly be an SM 420 and the transfer case is most likely stock. The seller bought the rig as a fixer upper that he never got around to fixing up so he knows very little about the vehicle so I'd like some help identifying the trans and xfer case. sorry no pictures yet.

This is my first post here but as a little back ground about myself I bought my first Land Cruiser new in 1978, my second was a 73 back in the early 80's and now the latest. Someone has done a spring over axle swap on it and it has 33'' tires, a full roll cage and a winch, the body is fairly solid with only bits of rust here and there. The wiring harness is out of it so I will have the headache of sorting that out and getting it running again after a few years of it laying dormant. I look forward to the advice I will get on this forum as this project move along.

Well as soon as you are able to post up some photos of the trans and transfer case someone here will be able to give you the info you seek.

Well as soon as you are able to post up some photos of the trans and transfer case someone here will be able to give you the info you seek.

The old saying a picture is worth a thousand words does apply here! Some will be coming soon and meantime I am spending a lot of time on this forum looking at peoples build threads. So many owners of nice FJ's on this site!

I will ask the original transmission for the 73 did not have a cast iron case did it?

As far as I know all 40 series transmissions have a cast iron case. The covers on three speed are aluminum. Four speed cover was cast iron. Five speed covers were aluminum.

Probably 420 or 465 with an Advanced Adapter to original transfer case set up.

33's with a spring over....

Looking forward to pictures!

I did get to take a close look today and determined that the transmission is a GM Muncie SM420 that has been adapted to the stock transfer case. The compound low should give it good creeping ability off road. I'm finding I'm going to have a lot of questions as I go through a ruststoration on this FJ So I'm going to start a thread for that and start with some vehicle pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom