Transmission/Tcase equalizing hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

asking this question to help understand how this is supposed to work.

are we thinking that oil can migrate FROM the t-case into the transmission case - leaving the t-case low on gear oil? so if i follow correctly - assuming we have a bad seal between trans and t-case and oil does migrate...it would raise up to the level of the fill hole on the trans - and drain back down to the t-case?

so if i just had a t-case rebuilt and attached to my new H55 - this would be insurance against seal failing between the 2?
yes its insurance. The way to know you have a problem is open the fill plug on the transmission. If oil comes out of the fill plug the transfer case seal has failed. Open the transfer case fill plug and you wont be able to feel any oil. Thats what most of us have discovered. This fix is just a first class way of doing it. The stainless steel braid and the teflon insert make it last longer but nothing will withstand direct contact with the exhaust pipe. Make sure the hose doesnt come in contact with the exhaust system.

Props to Shipmag for his transmission / transfer case hose kit. Quality components and shipped to my front door in two days. Now have piece of mind and more confidence we will make it to Ouray for the Summit coming up soon.
installed hose.jpg

Hi, Who has put this on an 1987 fj-60 ? Will the 12.5 work ? Thanks, Mike

Hello, will this hose help an 1988 LC with the automatic transmission ? Does the fluid flow the opposite way on an automatic ? ie. should I check that the tranny fluid is not in the transfer case ? If the seal is bad, then, on an automatic, the transfer case will be overfilled with tranny fluid instead of gear oil. Is that Correct ??

Hi, Who has put this on an 1987 fj-60 ? Will the 12.5 work ? Thanks, Mike
I ordered the 12.5 for my 84 60, I have a h55h tranny which I thought might make a difference but I guess not. The 12.5 was a perfect fit.

Hello, will this hose help an 1988 LC with the automatic transmission ? Does the fluid flow the opposite way on an automatic ? ie. should I check that the tranny fluid is not in the transfer case ? If the seal is bad, then, on an automatic, the transfer case will be overfilled with tranny fluid instead of gear oil. Is that Correct ??

Do not use with an auto tranny. As you said, you will be mixing ATF with gear oil.

No problem Shipmag and all goods points. Just for reference and other peoples benefit if they decide on the AN fittings, the tube has been on for over a year. My location is Grand Junction CO where last summer and this summer the temp has been over 100 most of the summertime. I’ve driven the 60 over and for wheeling and I’ve had no problems with it.

And to follow Output Shafts statement and knowing the theory behind the failure mode, I check the levels often and adjust as needed.

I also don’t have a one way breather on the transfer case. When I rebuilt the Tcase ( for another reason) I bored out the whole and put a fitting in and then ran a hose up into the engine bay.

Just last weekend I had to rescue a 60 due to a gear oil leak on top of a mtn in CO. The owner did not know and couldn’t figure out the gear oil leak location and problem. Therefore thinking it might be a situation for the reason of the equalization tube, I took mine off from the 60 as a possible solution and drove another vehicle down to him. After taking the fittings off the levels of the two cases were as follows:

Trans- correct level
Tcase- over capacity by about 16 oz.

Last edited:
Oil does not like to flow up hill. The position of your hose will limit the drain back.
installed hose_LI.jpg

<vent> (literally)

For the 100th time, vent the dang transfer case properly (remove the crummy Toyota vent cap and install a long hose) and you won't have pressure issues, and perhaps not even oil migration issues. Now, everyone repeat this to themselves a dozen times.

</vent>

Last edited:
<vent> (literally)

For the 100th time, vent the dang transfer case properly (remove the crummy Toyota vent cap and install a long hose) and you won't have pressure issues, and perhaps not even oil migration issues. Now, everyone repeat this to themselves a dozen times.

</vent>
I have long breather hoses for my axels, but there is one I should make for the transfer case?

I made a set if stainless steel braided for my axels and the cost was way more than I thought any one would ever pay because it takes 5 hoses. The one problem I was struggling with was a good way to end it in the engine compartment without a snorkel on the air intake. But problem with even if you have one is the vacuum the carb places on the vent hoses could suck oil out of the areas trying to vent?

Interesting. Guess I won’t be Messing with that mod. Thanks for the explanation.

Interesting. Guess I won’t be Messing with that mod. Thanks for the explanation.
The air intake on the transfercase is a 25 mm. Tou can get a plug off ebay then drill and tap it for what ever thread your fitting needs. I use banjo bolt fittings as the clearance above the transfer case is not a whole lot. But there is enough room to get a wrench over the vent to remove it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom