Transmission swap question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m looking to put a 5 speed in my ‘79.

The motor was swapped by the PO and now has a ‘85 or newer 22R but still utilizing the 4 speed tranny and tcase.

I found a 5 speed tranny and t case for sale locally and the seller said it fits ‘88-‘95. I’m sure it could be made to work but if it’s going to require lots of mods to make it work I’ll pass on it and try to find one more suitable. I’ve searched here, Marlin Crawler, YotaTech and Pirate as well as random googling and I feel like I’m more confused than ever LOL. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

I’m looking to put a 5 speed in my ‘79.

The motor was swapped by the PO and now has a ‘85 or newer 22R but still utilizing the 4 speed tranny and tcase.

I found a 5 speed tranny and t case for sale locally and the seller said it fits ‘88-‘95. I’m sure it could be made to work but if it’s going to require lots of mods to make it work I’ll pass on it and try to find one more suitable. I’ve searched here, Marlin Crawler, YotaTech and Pirate as well as random googling and I feel like I’m more confused than ever LOL. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Can you post a few pictures of the 5 speed you want to install? Hard to say unless we know what style 5 speed is going to take the place of the stock trans.

It will bolt up. You will have to change dl length and reattach the crossmember tunnel mods. I used to run a w56 in mine. I just redrilled the frame for the crossmember and used through bolts.
I later had Budbuilt build me a duals crossmember that bolted up to the stock spot.

Can you post a few pictures of the 5 speed you want to install? Hard to say unless we know what style 5 speed is going to take the place of the stock trans.
It will bolt up. You will have to change dl length and reattach the crossmember tunnel mods. I used to run a w56 in mine. I just redrilled the frame for the crossmember and used through bolts.
I later had Budbuilt build me a duals crossmember that bolted up to the stock spot.

Thanks for the input guys! Here’s the only picture I have of it at the moment. It’s from the ad and it’s not the best. I asked him for some more pictures this morning and I’ll post them as well if when he sends them. Thanks again

1206B29B-245C-4E77-BEF1-BF82487CB644.jpeg

Caution! Looks to be a driver's side drop. Your '79 is a passenger side drop. Transfer case may not bolt up.

Caution! Looks to be a driver's side drop. Your '79 is a passenger side drop. Transfer case may not bolt up.
Thanks for catching that. If I’m going to use the both tranny and tcase in the picture will I still have a problem or do you mean it may not work using the 5 speed tranny and my existing tcase? Thanks

Both. T-case may be chain drive vs. geared. Bolt pattern is different between the two. Inspect before you by. Call Marlin and ask questions, they know stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom