Transmission sensor (?) 77 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thorslc1977

SILVER Star
Threads
I cannot find part number for sensor on top of my transmission in my 77 FJ40. It is not back up light. Wire has busted right where it enters this clear amber colored plastic/resin. Would love to be able to just fix ( Coolerman ?) but if not need to know what to look for. Thanks in advance for group's help.

I cannot find part number for sensor on top of my transmission in my 77 FJ40. It is not back up light. Wire has busted right where it enters this clear amber colored plastic/resin. Would love to be able to just fix ( Coolerman ?) but if not need to know what to look for. Thanks in advance for group's help.

I was hoping that was the case. No repercussions here in California? I know they (Smog techs) won't be able to see it unhooked but will it cause any problems with emissions? Thanks for info!

It is tested on dynamic tester at 1500 rpms and at 2500 rpms not sure what gear they use

I believe 4th gear is a test requirement.

Dennis, I have several covers with intact switches on them, and most people who buy transmissions from me don't need anything but to have the hole plugged. I will trade your wireless switch out for a good one at no charge with your next order. ;)

Weirdly enough, I was about to ask about this exact same thing for a couple reasons. I removed a tranny from my 78 that has that same sensor on the top, I also bought a parts tranny that has no sensor or even a drilled hole for one, and the tranny/t-case combo I bought to swap in from another 78 has just a bolt in the threaded hole on top and is actually handy for filling the trans fluid. Not sure which is right or which isn’t and what that sensor even does. I thought the parts tranny I got was from a 76, so I didn’t think there would be a difference in them.

There are a number of optional switches related to trans and transfer plus there was a change in the location of the BU switch around that time. Pics? Wire colors? The FSM and some previous threads detail out that vintage of harness.

Top gear (4th gear) sensor for the 'emissions computer'...

If you do not have any of the other emission parts, you do not need to worry about it.

If you do need one, post up in the wanted section with a pic of your sensor; I would be stunned if there are not a pile of them available.

:beer:

The wire from that sensor was as brittle as mine was, it broke off while screwing it into transmission. I sent a PM to Coolerman to see if he could fix it but while taking pics to send him I saw news item on an old TV repairman here in town. He did a great job fixing my sensor. He dremeled out old resin, soldered new wire to switch, filled cavity with epoxy, added new outside protector to wire and transferred old Toyota connector to new wire. He asked me for ten dollars. I gave him twenty and bought him lunch and a 12-pack of his favorite beer. I will post a picture of repair this evening--- very happy with it.

I apologize for not posting pic of repair. Computer operator error deleted pic ( my compute seems to have a lot of operator errors) But here is pic of results? Well who knows, my smog equipment is in place but functionality ??? Truck still runs extremely well. Just trying to tie up old/loose threads.

IMG_0040.JPG

So I have a sensor/wire coming out from the bottom of my transmission (assuming that's what this thread is about) that goes into the drivers side but do not know where it is supposed to connect to. Can someone help? I had a mess of wires and am trying to clean it up.

1981 HJ47 that used to be an emergency response vehicle. Got it from @Paraglider
Been documenting on Instagram GoPlay.Outside
Should really document it here too. Will do later when we have more time!

Drivers side Australia is passenger side America so that is probably back up switch wire. Should be bullet connectors along the frame rail to connect to. Pics would help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom