Trailer Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can't find the video now, but this couple had mounted their spare under the tongue with a u-bolt that fit perfectly over the middle cross bar. Would go under where your propane tank is. This might be easier to get to if you had a flat as you could put your tongue jack down - jack it up, get the spare off. Your tire may be too big, though.

To mount on the back door - you would have to put in extra bracing etc, right?

oooh under the tongue box with a Ubolt sounds like a super cheap winner winner chicken dinner setup. I'd be a little concerned about it hitting the ground when going over bumps/driveways/etc having it that far forward....

As far as mounting on the back door - I wouldn't think a lot of bracing is required. It's 3/4" ply with aluminum sheeting covering it. Pretty strong stuff (compared to the walls, which are 3/4" of styrofoam, 1/4" luanne and aluminum)

Although under the trailer tongue might work, depending on the tire diameter, and how long a trailer tongue you are working with, and how far back you can mount it: The spare may cause issues with turning sharply (jack-knife maneuvers).

I don't know what your physical strength level is, but you might also consider fab'n a mount on the trailer nose that is above the propane tank.

Although under the trailer tongue might work, depending on the tire diameter, and how long a trailer tongue you are working with, and how far back you can mount it: The spare may cause issues with turning sharply (jack-knife maneuvers).

I don't know what your physical strength level is, but you might also consider fab'n a mount on the trailer nose that is above the propane tank.

I like this too.

not really concerned with the strength issue - I generally can lift a tire pretty well by myself. That said, I'm planning on a porthole above the propane tank - a tire would block it.

I see your point on the jackknifing issue - but I don't think it'd be a problem. The tongue is pretty long.

Roof mount. You got this bro.
IMG_9122.JPG

And id argue the strength of 3/4" ply with aluminum foil cover. At least add backing plates which you probably planned to but over time/bumps/etc i can see those holes wallowing out and loosening. The plates would help but if possible to tie in to above and below frame I would consider it.

44's would also cure the under tongue clearance concerns ;)

I can't find anything larger than a 41 in an 18" wheel...

Too bad they dont make 17s :p

Sorry. Carry on, but might want to hit up steve for some porthole defense decals.

Too bad they dont make 17s :p

Sorry. Carry on, but might want to hit up steve for some porthole defense decals.

This porthole is 12" wide - that's a lot of glory :)

I liked that, but instantly regretted it.

Baja top, bikini and doors for potentially rainy weekend only a small shower here and there. Great weekend at Scott Kerr.
IMG_6960.JPG
IMG_6934.JPG
IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6944.JPG

IMG_6949.JPG

Gotta say, the more we use this the more ideas/changes we come up with.
The drawer and cabinets worked out well for pantry/personal items and we continued the 'clothes in a bin' storage. I need a fixed solution for that.

What a mess we are :)

Thoughts: I gave a lot of thought to the sink and stove being attached to the trailer but I'm gonna say no. Why?

I like to cook outside, not under the enclosure.
The sink I have works well, and takes 1 minute to deploy.
I also have to deploy a porta potty and shower - so unless that s*** is glued to the side somehow, I still gotta set stuff up.

As info: Total time to break it all down and pack up, 1 hour (taking our time). I feel like we could half that if we had to really rush. The enclosure and its walls being most of that time.

IMG_6954.JPG
IMG_6955.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG

You're in the best stage of the build IMHO. Now you've got it functional to use for extended periods and you're fine tuning! Spoiler alert, fine tuning can take a decade or more :lol:

Just wrote a review for Fort Hamby (Scott Kerr - WIlkesboro)

I shall be keeping a log of my camping experiences - likely in this thread, so sorry if it rambles a bit

FORT HAMBY - W. Kerr Scott Dam and Reservoir - WILKESBORO, NC

Very large and pretty, shaded, secluded spots. Most don't have a view of the water - at least not in the summer. I hear there's a good disc golf course nearby, and the little beach and boat dock seemed nice. The banks of the lake are very steep by the campsites, so although it may look on the map like your campsite is by the water, it's a very steep bank you'd be walking down. The roads in and out of the site are VERY steep. If you have an older RV or are running close to your tow limit, might wanna skip it. The trails and road were not well maintained, in my opinion, rocks and sticks on the road and fallen trees and branches all over the one nature trail that they had (worth the short walk - ends at a small but pretty waterfall where you'd feel comfortable letting very little kids play. The most memorable part of the campsite was the old Navy Veteran host that checked us in. I knew he was a Navy veteran because his hat told me so. I pull up and his greeting is "Yeah?". I wonder if I'm in the wrong place so I look back at the sign, and no... it's Fort Hamby I'm in the right place. "I'm here to camp" I say. His response: "Where?" with an angry tone. Kinda like "You ain't gonna camp here, Bub" but I think that just may be his natural 'I hate the world' word delivery. So I look back at the sign.... no I'm definitely in the right place, and it says "camping fees $24" so that settles it - this guy's just off his meds, I'm definitely in the right place. I say "here at the campground". This continues twice before he changes the question to what he should have asked in the first place: "What's your site number"... After that, the conversation was mostly grunting and sighs interlaced with sneers and disapproving glances. I can understand as part of the "greatest generation" he likely is sour about the way people have become (which I can understand) but it can't be good for his stress levels to be in charge of a customer facing position where assholes (presumably he considers us assholes) bother him all day. I got a kick out of it, and I'm sure most people with a positive outlook on life can look at someone like that and just smile, empathize and wholeheartedly thank them for their service. Although I'm surprised some overhyped car camping soccer mom hasn't called their congressman yet :) Enjoyed the park, but I won't be back due to the lack of an actual lake view. I want to see the lake when I camp - so I'll continue to look. But, if you like interacting with Salty Sea Dogs, driving on super steep hills with large rocks and sticks dotted about and paying $24 a night for a state park site with no campsite sewer, have at it.

we bought a cool journal book that we have in the trailer. the goal is to log the trips we take, or a guest book for those who end up borrowing or renting it for their trips. We just keep it in one of the upper cabinets. the hard part for me is to find the time to write anything in it.

Yeah - I like the logbook idea, but honestly I'm the same way. I rarely write anything out, other than the occasional "to do" list for each vehicle....I figure this thread's as good a place as any to write a few words about each park:

Goose Point - Philpott Dam, Bassett, VA

Great lake, smaller sites, semi-shaded. Some with GREAT lake views. Site 16 (I think) had an incredible unobstructed view of the lake from the camper. Nice facility, quiet and tucked away from basically everything. Nice lake, although not a lot of luck bank fishing. This being VA rather than NC - alcohol is openly permitted at your campsite. Definitely one I'm going back to.

Smith Mountain Lake - SML, VA

State park sucks, too far from the lake. Plus is that one of the Rangers is a mudder. The lake is massive and built up, too many restaurants and boaters to really consider it a camping getaway. Bring a boat, rather than a kayak, and bring it to restaurants to eat. Honestly, that's not what I look for in a vacation - that, and my ex-wife loves it.... so nope, never again.

Bring a boat, rather than a kayak, and bring it to restaurants to eat.

Taking my flats boat from the Key I lived on to the Key West harbor and tying up at the Raw Bar for the first time is when i felt at home in the Keys. I grew up watching Flipper and dreaming of using my little boat as basic transportation. Can't say I'd find the same thing appealing at a lake I trailered to. I took my 25' CC to a restaurant on the ocean side once, more hassle than it was worth. Been to probably 10-15 restaurants with the flats boat along the lower Keys. Out playing on the water all morning to mid afternoon, run to a restaurant and eat, boogie on home before dark.

Edit: There were guys that would run the back country (gulf side) at night. These were guys that knew every piece of skinny water like the backs of their hands, scary stuff. I rode with quite a few of them at night and only once run aground and he was a bit on the drunk side. I did just fine during the day when you can read the water, never even attempted it at night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom