Trailer Brake Controller Connector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haha, I’m sitting with mine in my lap, reading the installation manual. Redarc’s for everyone! I need to get this installed to go pick up a Kimberley Kamper.
Nice! Wife and I have no experience with travel trailers, but we're entertaining the idea, so we're renting one tomorrow for the weekend off Outdoorsy. Airstream International Serenity 23fb. I too am interested in the Kimberley offerings, but I thought I read about the owner getting a divorce and wife was getting half of the company or something really weird like that? Sorry to go off topic.

Nice! Wife and I have no experience with travel trailers, but we're entertaining the idea, so we're renting one tomorrow for the weekend off Outdoorsy. Airstream International Serenity 23fb. I too am interested in the Kimberley offerings, but I thought I read about the owner getting a divorce and wife was getting half of the company or something really weird like that? Sorry to go off topic.
Very cool. My wife and I barrowed a friends 19’ serenity for a 3 week New England trip. We loved it, but we both still don’t like to stay on roads (and I’m not much of a park a trailer, go play, and come back kinda guy).

Yes Kimberley went exactly down that path. The owners wife was a businesswomen in her own right, and she had her own money invested. But the guy wanted to mess around and got caught, so she pulled her investment out, and liquidation happened. I got a 2013 (the second one imported), which was built much better than the last years. Plus the guy who owned it was very good about improving the design. I mean very good, all the bugs are worked out.

To now make it seem like we aren’t going off topic...Redarc Tow Pro hu? Those sure do help with trailers!

The "What have your done with your ..." thread brought me over to this thread this morning. I don't know why I haven't paid attention to this sooner. I've been using a P3 for a couple years now but I get very frustrated with how it gets in my way. I have tried different locations and different seat positions but nothing I like. The Redarc is intriguing (though I would need to have someone install it) but my bigger concern is what @TeCKis300 mentioned about the P3 Boost features. I use a ProPride (Hensley knockoff) hitch on my 6,000# travel trailer. The Boost feature is very useful with that hitch due to the fact that the hitch moves side to side to eliminate sway. When the trailer is gaining on the TV the hitch will slide a bit forward and to the left or right sometimes creating a slight "bum'" (referred to Hensley and ProPride owners as the Hensley bump). The Boost on the P3 pretty much eliminates this. At least I believe that is what is happening. I have my Boost set to Level 2. If I knew for certain that the Redarc could similarly handle the situation where they the trailer gains on the TV when braking then I would love to move to the Redarc and get rid of the P3. Its not aesthetics for me. It is that, for me, I have yet to find a placement for the P3 that I don't frequently bang into during entry/exit or find my leg riding against it while driving - especially on long trips. And to be honest, trying to keep it out of the way makes the reach for the manual braking lever a bit of a stretch.

We're done towing until the Spring but I'm going to watch this thread to see if there is anymore news on the Redarc - especially compared to the Tekonsha.

The Boost on the P3 pretty much eliminates this.

I'm not sure, but this may be what you're looking for... Page 10 of the Redarc manual says:

"Manual Override
Pressing the gain control knob whilst driving will apply the manual override brake. The manual override brake will apply the trailer brakes only; if wired correctly will also apply the trailer brake lights and will turn the LED indicator a shade of RED... The manual override is designed to be used when the trailer brakes need to be applied without the vehicle brakes, such as correcting trailer 'sway' whilst travelling."

I have been towing with the P3 on my tundra and then on my LC. Switched over to the redarc about a year ago and have towed multiple trailers with it. I’ll never go back. The adjustability and ease of use, plus the easy mounting makes it an easy choice.

Th
I'm not sure, but this may be what you're looking for... Page 10 of the Redarc manual says:

"Manual Override
Pressing the gain control knob whilst driving will apply the manual override brake. The manual override brake will apply the trailer brakes only; if wired correctly will also apply the trailer brake lights and will turn the LED indicator a shade of RED... The manual override is designed to be used when the trailer brakes need to be applied without the vehicle brakes, such as correcting trailer 'sway' whilst travelling."

Just doing some research as I pickup my 2015 tomorrow! I tow quite frequently and need to get the controller rigged up. I’ve had a P3 in my 100 series (in the ashtray slot) and agree with other the elegance of the redarc is certainly a big selling point.

I’d add to this thread, that when towing a trailer Offroad, it is sometimes necessary to modulate th trailer brakes and not the vehicle. Ie decending with only engine power and the trailer is banging the truck, or there is some sketchy line and you want things to stay put.

Happy to see the redarc can be manually activated in this way! I’ll be ordering it up!

Turns out from watching the video in this post:
Redarc trailer brake mounting?

The redarc manual mode (and specifically the talk about beach sand driving) is something P3 cannot really do. I’ve experienced the very thing he talks about.

So you have manual activation under auto mode, and then manual mode where the vehicle inertia sensing is ignored and activates at a set proportion. It’s ordered and will get an install this weekend!

Turns out from watching the video in this post:
Redarc trailer brake mounting?

The redarc manual mode (and specifically the talk about beach sand driving) is something P3 cannot really do. I’ve experienced the very thing he talks about.

So you have manual activation under auto mode, and then manual mode where the vehicle inertia sensing is ignored and activates at a set proportion. It’s ordered and will get an install this weekend!

Congrats on the redarc. Great choice and I'm sure it'll be awesome.

In regards to the sand/beach modes of the Redarc, the P3 would have no problem replicating this function. Manual mode is effectively turning off or turning down the proportion control, something that's easy to do on the P3 too. The advantages of the P3 are a more ergonomic manual brake lever and readout to aid in any potential issues.

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

I suspect I may opt for the Redarc for its better packaging if I were to buy again today.

I'm still thinking about the Redarc. Towing season for us begins in June so I have time. BTW, the "manual" mode for the Redarc is not the same as Boost on the P3. What Boost does (I don't know how) is to somehow enable the trailer brakes to get a bit stronger just ahead of the TV brakes or something. What it does do for me is help keep the trailer from creeping up on the TV (LC in my case). This creeping up and slightly bumping the TV is something that can happen with Hensley and Propride hitches. The P3 handles this automatically once you set the Boost level. I still don't see where the Redarc can do that. I may pop over to one of the Propride or Hensley forums to see if people have tried using the Redarc with those hitches.

What Boost does (I don't know how) is to somehow enable the trailer brakes to get a bit stronger just ahead of the TV brakes or something.

The P3 boost function looks for initial application of brakes via the brake lamps which it is tied into on the controller harness. As soon as it detects that it will immediately apply a percentage of brake (this is the boost function), then proportionately applies additional braking via its inertial sensor. Whereas normal operation starts from 0% braking and only applies proportional braking.

B1 applies ~13% of brake immediately.
B2 and B3 applies ~25% of brake immediately, with B3 ramping up even more strongly based on proportion.

I only use the B1 function, and only at highway speeds or very steep and fast downhills. B2 and B3 are too strong for my particular setup.

A caution on very big and steep mountain descents with switchbacks... If I'm driving faster than I really should and braking a lot (even when using engine braking), boost will really tax the trailer brakes such that I've found them to fade faster than on my tow vehicle.

Redarc went in like a dream... works Like a champ!

Installed in right of steering factory placement:

Cable made from factory pigtail and redarc pigtail:

Factory lug hiding in the holder just where mudderz said it would be:

@cboyd - what part number is that switch plate? There seem to be two of them online....the TPSI-001 and the 002. the 002 has tabs on the top and bottom whereas the 001 doesn't appear to.

Thank you!

The photos make it look harder than it is. A few screws under the dash, most of the plastic pops right off, and the wiring connector is pretty easy to access if you just duck under the steering wheel for a moment. Hardest part is figuring out where to mount the controls

I wouldn’t trust a Bluetooth brake controller. What happens if your phone craps out while towing? Seems like it’s be ok for towing once or twice but not if you’re doing it regularly. In addition if it’s phone controlled I assume that means it’s using your accelerometer, so taking your foot off the gas seems like it would cause your trailer to brake just as if you lightly applied the brakes.

The photos make it look harder than it is. A few screws under the dash, most of the plastic pops right off, and the wiring connector is pretty easy to access if you just duck under the steering wheel for a moment. Hardest part is figuring out where to mount the controls

I wouldn’t trust a Bluetooth brake controller. What happens if your phone craps out while towing? Seems like it’s be ok for towing once or twice but not if you’re doing it regularly. In addition if it’s phone controlled I assume that means it’s using your accelerometer, so taking your foot off the gas seems like it would cause your trailer to brake just as if you lightly applied the brakes.
Thanks for the info on dash removal.

The Bluetooth connection on the Echo is only for programming. The actual braking function doesn't require phone connectivity to the controller, except for the manual braking function (which is hardly ever used in my experience). Once programmed, the standard braking function operates with or without the phone being connected.

A lot of people are concerned about BT connectivity, but from what I can find, it doesn't seem to be an issue. YMMV of course.

I used one of those bluetooth ones before I got my Redarc. It was for my buddies Airstream when I borrowed it last year. Once set, it doesn’t even need to connect. Now, you lose any ability to apply more braking if you get into trouble, but it was pretty reliable.

That said, the redarc is perfect in my opinion. Easy to install, barely notice the thing as it fits perfectly in an existing slot.

If you get into trouble, you just mash the button for more braking (easier than fingering some squeeze style in a stressful situation I feel)

Then for me, I love that I can turn it from proportional to brake light activated and adjust the output when driving of different terrains with the Kimberly Kamper.

But at the end of the day, as long as anyone is safe, then whatever the product is, is a good product.

Question for those that moved from the Prodigy P3 to the Redarc, do you use the same wiring harness or was Redarc's different requiring you to pull apart the dash again?

Question for those that moved from the Prodigy P3 to the Redarc, do you use the same wiring harness or was Redarc's different requiring you to pull apart the dash again?
I’ll let you know when I do it hopefully in a few weeks. I don’t believe redarc has a Toyota harness, or at least I couldn’t find one, so I think you need to cut and splice the Prodigy harness. I hope someone will correct me though.

FWIW, I'm very pleased with this location for the Redarc knob. Directly in front of e-brake lever and comes immediately to hand if needed without having to look or fiddle for it. If your trailer is being naughty on the highway and you need a bit of tension to straighten her out it's not a good time to be looking for a knob. Simply right had forward and push. You can increase gain by pushing and twisting, but just pushing gives a good solid brake application at the set level.

20190529_031111816_iOS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom