Trailer Brake Controller Connector (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you're '08 is anything like my '09 (and like the LC's above), which I suspect it is, the plug should be there. It is somewhat hidden at the bottom of the group. Plugged into a female bracket so it doesn't just move around. The picture posted above does show where it is pretty clearly. If you can take a pic, we might be able to tell you if it's really there or not.

Is there a chance that the previous owner (in you're not the original), left it hanging somewhere?

From the OP:
install-4-jpg.396560
Okay, apparently in the 8 years since I installed on the '08 my brain went to mush. I 'remembered' plugging the controller into the block but actually I would have removed the lead from the block and plugged the controller into the lead. All is well and functional. Just took the backbone to disassemble the dash, which I was lacking but is surprisingly easy.

Last edited:
Reviving an old thread with 2017, 200 data. First off thanks to the OP and the contributors. Once again Mud members saved my day. Many thanks to all of you!

Briefly, I too attempted to install my brake controller wiring into Mr. T's connection. I've done this on my other LC's and 4Runner; after all, I'm a smart guy (well most of the time) so how hard can it be to find the OEM female connection. So I stuck my head and flashlight under the dash with the intention of completing a 10 minute job. Well it didn't work out that way so I started removing the easy plastic panels. Still no luck after about 20 minutes of searching from various contorted positions.

So I said to myself, "self", search it out on Mud..., so I did and found this thread and started to tear apart my dash. Sort of hard to do when your new LC is only a couple weeks old but you do what you have to do. So I did, and after all the panels were hanging by their respective wires I found the female connector nicely tucked up into a dummy receptical.

I had all the plastic put back on before I realized that I should have taken a photo but it's basically up there under all the plastic panels reported so nicely by the OP. However, there is an easy landmark that I actually saw before I pulled it all apart. The female connector is stuck into a dummy socket that has a brown end on it. Again, I saw this when I was poking around before pulling things totally apart. It's possible to pull this connector out of its base and plug in your controller if you are half as much of a contortionist as I am. Nonetheless, if you decide to pull it all apart as described above, just look for the brown dummy connection. At least that's how it was in the 2017, 200 series LC.

Anyway, everything works as advertised and no, the owners manual will not tell you where to look regardless of what it says. I'd say it's at least a :banana::banana::banana:, job just due to the time it takes to find the dumb thing

Last edited:
Is this the brown end plug that you are referencing? This is a pic of the small triangular shaped piece of trim near the left foot pad, under the hood release. I am trying to install the brake controller, but have only found instructions for 2008-2015 models. I am wondering if the 2016 is any different. The large trim piece under the steering wheel as described in the first post (OsoCruiser) does not have a seam at the fuel and hood release as in the pics posted. (apologize ahead of time if that is not a seam in the picture) I took it apart in the same fashion as the OsoCruiser instructed and became reluctant to pull the trim off when the fuel and hood release seem to be attached to it. Thanks

2016 200 Series USA

IMG_0950.JPG

IMG_0427.JPG

Unfortunately that's not the receptical. It's too easy. The one you are after is way up there. It's square to match the one on your controller, what you point out looks round to me. I doubt that your 2016 differs from my 2017 it its location. It's a bit scary pulling off all that plastic because you don't want to break anything. The panel with the hood release and fuel cover release drops down and hangs there in one piece. There is an airbag front and center down there too that you want to be careful of. There are a couple clips by the airbag that slide into that front panel holding it in place. I think you can pull the panel w/o removing the plate that has them attacked but I pulled the plate off. Two 10mm nuts. Get yourself into a contorted position with a small flashlight and look further up against the left side of the car.

Attacked is a photo of when I pulled mine apart, but it's not very instructive. However it does show the whole mess hanging there.

yeah I figured, that would be to easy. Thank you for the info, the pic is helpful. I will take another shot at it this weekend

Thanks

Like I said, I really think that you should be able to get at it without the major surgery. I saw the connection when I was looking around I just could not identify it. It may be tuff to pull off its receptical but certainly worth a try. All this plastic comes off for easier access just be gentle because you don't want to break some of the panel connections. I'm afraid if that happens you have panels that don't fit back in place properly. It's certainly doable as I and others have described but just that word of caution; take your time.

All the best...

Isn't the plug just behind the blue, green, yellow tape in the last picture? Just towards the firewall and the plug goes into the dummy from the fender side.

If I remember correctly you are right. It's to the left and above the connector you reference, basically along the side. Connector faces towards the front in the dummy brown receptical.

However to even see it from the bottom you have to take off one panel on the bottom. It's reference above. That panel is held on by 2 screws and 3 plastic clips. To remove it out of the way completely I had to also disconnect two wire plugs. That particular panel is easy to get on and off and opens the bottom up.

Last edited:
How do you remove the panel with the fuel cap and hood release? Is it only held in place by clips or are there bolts I need to remove first? Do I have to pull it at an angle? Thanks in advance!

I am sorry but I meant how to remove the panel with the trunk release button. I already removed the panel with the fuel cap and hood release.

It pulls straight out, we'll sort of... if you have the vary bottom flimsy plate off you will see that there are a couple of metal tabs that are on a plate that is held on to the air bag bracket. I took this metal bracket off. Two 10 mm nuts. If you do that it gives you a little flexibility from not having to pull straight out, but can be done either way. I just carefully pulled on the left end and it loosed up. Once I saw what the plastic clips holding on the panel looked like it gave me confidence to pull gently on the other end. I sort of worked my way across after freeing up the left side. It does pop off. Just do it carefully.

Sorry, I just reread "trunk button", I don't know of such button. The only two on mine are the fuel cap and hood release. Not sure I am following you... what year is your 200?

I appreciate the quick reply, ekberger. I was able to reach the connector by reaching up without removing the panel I mentioned. It was difficult but doable. Thanks again!

I appreciate the quick reply, ekberger. I was able to reach the connector by reaching up without removing the panel I mentioned. It was difficult but doable. Thanks again!

Okay but if you have to do it again there are two bolts on the first panel and two screws on the second on the bottom edge. Or visa versa. One of them has a hinged cover that you must pull down to access the head. Then the panel pulls straight out- straight to the rear.
FYI, my '14 LX had the top right of the second panel popping out and we found that it was warped, the new panel (warranty) apparently has one more fastener tab than the original so maybe there is an issue with the panel on LX's?

So I was able to access the plug on my '08 LC and when I replaced the LC with a '14 LX I thought I would be able to do the same. I got tired of trying to get enough of the panels off so I decided to have " my" Toyota dealer do it. They came back with the discovery that the LX doesn't have a plug! Of course I didn't believe them so I took it home and got off my butt and tore into it only to find that there is in fact no plug. So my question is, have they moved the plug? Do I have to pigtail it?
LOL I do not take my car to the dealer LX and LC are not common cars , so dealer are very poor when it come to electrical, yes you do have the plug in your LX it is well hidden and have a terminator plug that seems like it is connected to somewhere , you just have to remove the terminator plastic plug and that is it. I think by this time you probably found it.

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be installing a RedArc TowPro Elite this weekend into my 2017 200. The TwoPro only comes with pigtails off of the controller, they want you to procure a separate harness to connect to the truck. I went out and snagged a Tekonsha harness for a Tundra. I have yet to open the dash to start the install. Do you all know if that will work?

The Tekonsha PN is: 3017-S

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be installing a RedArc TowPro Elite this weekend into my 2017 200. The TwoPro only comes with pigtails off of the controller, they want you to procure a separate harness to connect to the truck. I went out and snagged a Tekonsha harness for a Tundra. I have yet to open the dash to start the install. Do you all know if that will work?

The Tekonsha PN is: 3017-S

View attachment 1487217

View attachment 1487224
It will most definitely work. I did the exact install on my 2011 with the RedArc Towpro Elite. Just cut off about 4" of the pigtail end with the white connector and simply match the colors on the RedArc, solder, heatshrink and you're in business. Super simple. By the way, controller works flawlessly and is hands down the best controller i have ever had.

Side note: there is only 1 plug that connector will fit into in that area of the dash. Installation is really quite easy.

On the harness I have, there is a separate white ground wire that hangs separately from the other 4 (which are bundled together). Where did you all connect the ground to?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom