Trail communications for club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found somewhat local test (in Lebanon) in the middle of May (19th to be exact). Its at some diner at 7:30am I may go for it as testing is only $15

Let's make it a club event/breakfast...

Post up the link/info

I'd be in for going along Blair! I've had my radio for almost two years and still haven't used it!
I installed mine last spring/summer and haven't had a conversation yet. I don't know if its the radio or nobody can hear me or what's up but I can hear them. I haven't been with anybody else that has one so I cant verify what's going on. The ham clubs seem pretty cliquey and maybe that's my problem since I didn't join one they won't respond to me.

American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources

Link to the test May 18th. It says walk ins welcome, but if there is going to be several of us going I could shoot them an email as a heads up. They might be used to one or two stragglers, but if a half dozen of us show up they might be blind sided.

I’m always down for beers, but being that the test is at 7:30am and 35 questions I don’t see myself chugging craft beers at 9am ending very well...

I'll join you all if I don't pass in a test date coming up local to me (bit of a hike for you guys) getting into HAM will he cool, my boss last night I think actually got in contact through repeaters to someone in Italy! Its neat stuff!

Edit: He was telling multiple stories and got them mixed up, he was on HF and bouncing his signal off the top of the sky to reach Italy.

Last edited:
If you get enough peaple they may do a class and then a test. Like Edd did for us.

I installed mine last spring/summer and haven't had a conversation yet. I don't know if its the radio or nobody can hear me or what's up but I can hear them. I haven't been with anybody else that has one so I cant verify what's going on. The ham clubs seem pretty cliquey and maybe that's my problem since I didn't join one they won't respond to me.
An easy TX test would be to program for some local repeaters and simply key the mic. Usually public repeaters will at least give you a roger beep if not a whole message announcing the repeater's call sign and time of day.

@dci blair no I don't we have 3 General's in our club so Edd was able to inlist a couple more General's (or above) to come help him and our club guys out. It was not a sanctioned event by a HAM club.

I'd be in for taking the HAM test as well. I've been tossing the idea around for a few years now.

So I did not pass the test today, granted I started to study two days ago and took the test on only 4 hours of sleep which didn't help...

The test is 35 questions, its actually a super simple multiple choice test, as long as you have an idea of the material.

I tried to cram and honestly ended up jumbling the data in my head instead of understanding it. I feel if you take a week or two, take like 30 minutes a day and review the information the test should be a breeze, one of the coordinators stopped me on my way out and recommend that I study the practice test and if you average 85% on the practice test you will do fine on the actual test.

One thing I notice, but it could have been the pool of questions I had, the test had more focus around the hobby side of Amateur Radio. And after going over some of the practice test today, for me at least I know what I need to study, I have the policies and rules down at least.

One tool that a friend of mine gave me was this: No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog
(The PDF version is free, and most of our phones should be able to open them up for mobile study)

It is a very simple study guide, pretty much anything in bold or with a test section next to it is what you need to know.

As far as practice test, I have an Android operated phone and downloaded an app today called Ham Test Prep by iversoft.com, I am sure there is a similar test prep on the Apple App Store if you have an iPhone.

Hope some of the is helpful, there is a test next weekend local to me that I may try again if I am successful with the practice test.

So I did not pass the test today, granted I started to study two days ago and took the test on only 4 hours of sleep which didn't help...

The test is 35 questions, its actually a super simple multiple choice test, as long as you have an idea of the material.

I tried to cram and honestly ended up jumbling the data in my head instead of understanding it. I feel if you take a week or two, take like 30 minutes a day and review the information the test should be a breeze, one of the coordinators stopped me on my way out and recommend that I study the practice test and if you average 85% on the practice test you will do fine on the actual test.

One thing I notice, but it could have been the pool of questions I had, the test had more focus around the hobby side of Amateur Radio. And after going over some of the practice test today, for me at least I know what I need to study, I have the policies and rules down at least.

One tool that a friend of mine gave me was this: No-Nonsense Study Guides - KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog
(The PDF version is free, and most of our phones should be able to open them up for mobile study)

It is a very simple study guide, pretty much anything in bold or with a test section next to it is what you need to know.

As far as practice test, I have an Android operated phone and downloaded an app today called Ham Test Prep by iversoft.com, I am sure there is a similar test prep on the Apple App Store if you have an iPhone.

Hope some of the is helpful, there is a test next weekend local to me that I may try again if I am successful with the practice test.
Good effort, and thanks for the details!

I just was reminded of this and as a heads up for all, the question pool will be changing July 1st of this year.
It appears study material will be updated, just something to keep in mind current study guides will not be too helpful. If you use the current study guide I would recommend trying to take the test before July.

American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources

Link to the test May 18th. It says walk ins welcome, but if there is going to be several of us going I could shoot them an email as a heads up. They might be used to one or two stragglers, but if a half dozen of us show up they might be blind sided.

I’m always down for beers, but being that the test is at 7:30am and 35 questions I don’t see myself chugging craft beers at 9am ending very well...
Anyone still interested in doing this? I think I'm going to cram and try on may 19th at 7:30.

never mind. There is no way I'm ready to take this test. I realized how much I don't know anything about. It's hard to justify all the time needed to become knowledgeable in something I will never use again. I really feel like this isn't worth doing. :(

I am pretty much sold on these little Baofang hand helds.
We just need to come together as a club and pick a VHF channel to use.

It is not legal to communicate with these over Family Radio Service (FRS) due to too much Transmitter (TX) wattage, but.....

Baofeng BF-F8HP Baofeng BF-F8HP Tri-Power 1, 4, 8 Watt Radio - Google Search

For the record, Ed, the communications guru in the CLCC, is in the process of putting together a package of eight Motorola radios and chargers for me. These are the same type the CLCC use. Nice units, work well, no license required. If I'm not mistaken, you can also use the Baofengs with them. Doing this on my dime for club use. I know we rarely use anything on the trails, but that's mainly due to my contempt for the CB.

For the record, Ed, the communications guru in the CLCC, is in the process of putting together a package of eight Motorola radios and chargers for me. These are the same type the CLCC use. Nice units, work well, no license required. If I'm not mistaken, you can also use the Baofengs with them. Doing this on my dime for club use. I know we rarely use anything on the trails, but that's mainly due to my contempt for the CB.

I'd vote for using some club money for these so Crusha doesn't have to foot the whole bill! Crusha, can you find out if THESE work with those? I have a set kicking around here that I bought for the kids to use.

never mind. There is no way I'm ready to take this test. I realized how much I don't know anything about. It's hard to justify all the time needed to become knowledgeable in something I will never use again. I really feel like this isn't worth doing. :(
Learning something new is ALWAYS worthwhile. There is never a down side to knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom