Trail communications for club (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Learning something new is ALWAYS worthwhile. There is never a down side to knowledge.

I grossly overestimated the amount of spare time I’d have after returning from my trip, so this weekend is out. That said, I’m still down to get the ham licenses at some point. I always like learning something new.

@Crusha I’d be interested in purchasing my own unit as well. Much like yourself I become increasingly frustrated with my cb after each use.

For the record, Ed, the communications guru in the CLCC, is in the process of putting together a package of eight Motorola radios and chargers for me. These are the same type the CLCC use. Nice units, work well, no license required. If I'm not mistaken, you can also use the Baofengs with them. Doing this on my dime for club use. I know we rarely use anything on the trails, but that's mainly due to my contempt for the CB.
I too have developed a sort of huge contempt for CB radios after having used them for 25 years or so, they just reek. In fact the last five years I didn't even have one. Ha? a trucker without a CB? Yup, couldn't stand the damn things. I almost purchased one the other day but quickly came to my senses after only 5 minutes in the truckstop... This HAM stuff has piqued my interest and I like the idea of handheld units. Does one need an FCC license for trail communication?

Last edited:
Ok, so for all my bitching I went and took the test this morning, I passed. I Spent 2hrs Wednesday and 3hrs yesterday afternoon, then 3hrs before bed yesterday. I got a 31 out of 35.

The price was actually $14, cash was accepted. I didn't use the suggested 2 pencils and pen I brought. (They had plenty of pens) I did however use the simple calculator I brought with me. (no smart phones) I wish I would of had some ear plugs or ear muffs. The test was given in the bar area attached to the diner. The test itself was on a computer. I was early 7:20 and they were already started. and there was a wait by the time I finished. They were missing 3 people today normally there are 6 that witness and help.

I still think its a ton of work for my intended usage. I think there should be a lower Dbag license class for people like me that don't want to build a radio room or talk to anyone in china or on the International space station.

Now to forget everything I just learned, I need a drink!

I still think its a ton of work for my intended usage. I think there should be a lower Dbag license class for people like me that don't want to build a radio room or talk to anyone in china or on the International space station.

I still think its pretty cool you can talk to the ISS

I'd vote for using some club money for these so Crusha doesn't have to foot the whole bill! Crusha, can you find out if THESE work with those? I have a set kicking around here that I bought for the kids to use.

Yes they will work. You will have to use Chirp and a Bofang cable. Prity easy I can send you the Chirp file.

It's cool. I just don't need to do it.
First off, congratulations on getting your ticket. Try not to forget everything ;)

As far as use goes, there are guys in GCLC that will set up 20+ ft antennae while we're camping in Cairo, NY and talk with people in Cairo, Egypt. They enjoy doing that sort of thing and it's another obsession for them.
I have no interest in that. I use my ham radios for trail comms and on the road comms. That's it. I don't sit and chat away on my commute to and from work, and my radio is off 99% of the time. I consider it another tool to use, just like my winch and recovery gear.

The point is that you are licensed and able to use an infinitely superior means of communication. That $29 Chinacom radio will make any CB sound like a child's toy.

I'll get the Chirp file CLCC uses to you as on as I can I'm laid up on bed rest right now.

@jonheld can you send a copy to Andy @caz Im laid up on bed rest after falling off me roof.

Got a package from @emorth yesterday!

:cheers:

43EF7BC5-A1FE-4512-9318-84A9372C3003.jpeg

:eek:

Damn, did you break anything? How long are you out of commission?

Next week I will know more. 2 vertebrae compression fractures and 3 rib fractures. I can get around with a brace bit it's very painful. It could have been a lot worse.

Next week I will know more. 2 vertebrae compression fractures and 3 rib fractures. I can get around with a brace bit it's very painful. It could have been a lot worse.
Damn, thank you for updating us.
Heal well and all that.
Dibs on the pickup if you can't drive anymore :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom