Trading in an 80 series LC for 5th gen 4Runner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1996 80 series LC with a little over 120K miles on it. Despite the low miles, mother nature doesn't really care how far you've driven and it's starting to show it's age. I can't hardly work on the thing without at least one or two bolts breaking, the fender flares are loose and flopping around, the sunroof no longer works, I'm pretty sure the front axle seals are bad, and now, the AC blower motor has started to only work intermittently. The long and short of it is, as awesome as it's been, I wonder if it's time to upgrade to something newer. My wife is pretty worried it's gonna break while we're miles from anywhere with our kids. I've been thinking about a newer 5th gen 4Runner since it seems like it would be equivalent modern vehicle as far as what we like to do with our LC. As much as I'd like to bring the LC back into new condition I just don't have the time and would rather be out on the trails than in the garage. I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has gone through this and what they decided on? I really love my LC it was my dream vehicle and was so glad when I could finally afford one...so it breaks my heart to even think about parting with it.

Hard to go wrong with a 4Runner, though guys wanting to retain the LC snob factor while ditching the terrible gas mileage seem to prefer the Lexus GX470.

You should probably sell it yourself rather than trade in. With that low mileage, you may get lucky and snag someone with an inflated price.

In my case I have access to HZJ76 which it's kinda the natural replacement ( it will be if we / I only have chance to grab one with the V8 so a VHJ76 ) .. still not convinced. Tundra it's on my list as same as the 200, the IFS thing still hold me big time ..

I guess something to consider is - how much would it cost to have a (trusted) mechanic fix the issues to where you and your wife feel it's reliable - and is that far cheaper than the increased cost for the newer vehicle?

I guess something to consider is - how much would it cost to have a (trusted) mechanic fix the issues to where you and your wife feel it's reliable - and is that far cheaper than the increased cost for the newer vehicle?
This... as the owner of a 5th gen 4Runner SR5 they have their own quirks. Ours is a 2011 and currently close to 100k on it and have owned it since 2014. The interior definitely feels smaller and less refined than any of the FZJ80s that I have ridden in. You can get a third row jumper seat in the Limited models but I don't have any experience with that. It is approximately the same size as my 85 FJ60, rides about the same but gets better gas mileage.

Originally I had been looking for a GX470 for the wife but ones that were a few years older with close to 100k on them already were going for the same price as the 4Runner so we went with the new. The question really comes down to ... are you more spending some money up front to have your current vehicle fixed to your liking or more into having a car payment (assuming you are going to finance)? Some of the issues you have could be possibly be easy fixes with maybe a weekends worth of time but if you are not into wrenching then you are probably better off with something new. With regards to the wrenching aspect, you are talking about a 20yr old vehicle, so you will always have those issues regardless unless you have absolutely babied the thing and it has never seen dirt, salted roads, moisture in excess, etc.

Oh and do some looking and research on the Toyota 4Runner (T4R) forums.. you will find that their gas mileage isn't as good as stated, we average about 17mpg with a mixture of hwy/city. Best MPG I have ever gotten in it was on a 6hr drive on flat ground on the hwy, keeping it under 70-75mph the entire time and we were able to pull just a bit over 20mpg. I have only been able to replicate that mileage on that exact trip (driving HWY 50/99/I-5 from NV to the coast in California) a few times.

A new 4runner is gonna cost like 35k right? As soon as u drive it off the lot it will lose value. U will also have increased registration and insurance costs. But u do get better fuel mileage and lots of modern safety features. The 80s have pretty much bottomed out in price and are starting to rise. Have u taken your 80 to a shop and gotten an estimate to fix everything? Not just mechanical but interior and exterior brought up to snuff? Even if it's 15k, that's far less than a new suv. And really u would be catching up on neglected maintenance. Toyota owners get spoiled bcuz a Toyota will give good reliability even if neglected. Then when all the issues that have been little issues which the owner turned a blind eye to for years are all allowed to the point of being totally worn out and almost dangerous, the owner balks at a giant repair quote. Rather than spend a grand a year to keep everything in good shape, things are let go. And after 10 years a 10k repair quote sounds ridiculous when it's not. Ya just gotta catch up.

I think you'd be disappointed going from your 80 to a 4Runner. Why not get a used 200? For the amount you would drop on a 5th Gen 4Runner, you could easily get into a used 200 series LC. Yeah it will have some miles, but you'll stay in a LC. Just throwing it out there, though I am sure the thought has crossed your mind. Cheers.

I drove a new 4Runner a couple of weeks ago. It is NOT anywhere near a Land Cruiser. It felt sterile.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 2014 200 Series with 9k miles for $40k about a month ago. I just could part with that much money for a car.

I don't know what I'll do when I can't drive an 80 anymore. Been driving one for 25 years. Everything else seems inadequate.

I don't know what I'll do when I can't drive an 80 anymore. Been driving one for 25 years. Everything else seems inadequate.

I ear ya dude .. I do ..

Honestly man, keep your 80 Series. The new 4Runners are cool, but they're just not built as well as the old Land Cruisers are. You'll regret getting rid of it!

Yep...I say keep it too. I was in the same boat a couple times and looked at everything! Silverados, Tacos, Runners, Gxs, 200s, 100s, etc. They all just suck in one way or another compared to an 80. I'll just keep plugging away at the PM and bolt on mods for as long as I can. 20 more years and I'll be too old for a rig of this caliber, but my son should be graduating college about that time...:idea:

80 series = full floating solid axles and coil springs. Other than a Rubicon, only thing around equipped that way.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom