Trade in my Heritage for a new Bronco? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You guys are crazy. Look I’m a land cruiser guy through and through, I’ve owned 4 in a row and been driving them exclusively since I was 20. I don’t plan on switching to the bronco from my LX, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think the bronco is awesome.
I have been following the bronco closely and there is no doubt that it will be by far the most capable off-road vehicle ever sold from a factory. The tech is crazy cool, they really listened to the costumer and delivered what people want.
I love Toyota’s but the gas mileage, and complete lack of any decent innovations (CarPlay not till 2020?!?!) is ridiculous. Just compare an F150 to a tundra, the tundra is literally a decade+ old truck. Our LC/LX’s have incredibly dated interiors, electronics and engines compared to any other brand.
Now the trade off seems to be reliability, and there is no doubting that the LC is in a league of its own. But that being said most newer cars are built much better than you might think. And for the person doubting the reliability of the ford ecoboost engines, I think they have proven themselves well. Most of my family and friends drive fords, and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to own one. The new bronco is insanely cool and will be far most off-road capable than a LC or Jeep and I’m excited to see it. However, I have no plans to be trading in my LX for one. (But I do think about getting a raptor often....)

I would drive it first ... I have my 200 and love it but just picked up a Jeep Rubicon JLU Diesel it’s just a toy compared to my 200 . The new 4xe has 470 lb-ft same as 392 but gets great fuel milage , and you get a 7500 tax right off .

View attachment 2673088
Funny you say that, I drive a 95 80 series, mostly stock but with the magic dial. Recently I test drove Jeep JKs with a friend of mine, she wanted me there because before my love for Land Cruisers I loved Jeeps. I know them very well. The JK felt like a dark plastic cave. And not very solid plastic either. The first dealership we went to had a Rubicon JL in 6 speed form. I asked the salesman for the keys and hopped in. The leather on the steering wheel felt very cheap, the ergonomics were dismal at best, and all around felt like one of my sons toys. I was very surprised it felt very similar to my 2006 LJ Rubicon. I'm not sure if I'm biased, but even in 1995 when my 80 was built, it was built and designed way better than the JL was. I've driven a 200, and I couldn't imagine driving a JL after. V8 or not.

Also it’s worth remembering here that a bronco and Jeep are not in the same class as a 200. 200’s are nearly 100k, they are going to have nicer interior materials. (Also Jeeps are s***, total s***.) But compare a LC/LX interior to other cars that cost that much and you will see the massive difference and how far behind the Toyota/Lexus’s are. The Navigator (Wow!), Escalade, Denali, any of the Mercedes, Audi, ext. It’s not even close, Toyota is miles behind if your talking interiors or infotainment.
The bronco is not a competitor with the 200 and honestly I don’t think LC’s have any true competition. It’s a huge, off-road capable, luxury suv that can also tow. I don’t know if another vehicle that does that (don’t tell me Land Rover bc those are really horrible vehicles that I know all about).
The only new suv that could make me possibly sell my 200 is the new Rivian. Those look incredible, I just don’t think my live style of road trips and towing can be done with electric just yet.

Sorry, but that is FUGLY! There isn't a vehicle on the road I would take over the land cruiser. Toyota just has s*** figured out.

Yeah my thoughts too. Ford parts bin plastic buttons and an exercise in large injection molded plastic interior.

Looks like a disposable vehicle.

Kudos to Ford for being able to sell such junk.

Looking at the pictures and having seen the Sport versions in person, they just look like cheap plastic on even cheaper looking wheels. I don’t understand where the appeal is. If I want a boxy looking vehicle, it’s either the G-Wagon or Jeep. Land Rover at least made a decent attempt with the Discovery, which I think looks a bit lame but the interior is much nicer compared to the Bronco. Granted, it’s overpriced. Nice thing about the Jeep, you have a huge resource of aftermarket parts/suppliers to make it your own and can really change how it drives as well. The Bronco seats are even cheapo looking. I like some Ford products but this is not one of them. Just my .02 and. I have no doubt that someone will think I’m out of my mind. 🤷🏻
Well, to be honest, the LC200 interior is kinda cheap and s***ty for a $85k vehicle. Lots of hard plastic (tho good quality), FAKE wood, plastic interior door handles, etc.

(Obviously, i did not buy the LC200 for it’s interior quality….)

meh

Have been on the Bronco list since the beginning. Once I saw the interiors, I passed. The colors/combinations are horrific and random. On some trim levels, the interior has blue or orange accent plastic on the dash/doors/seats, and you can't change it, no matter what exterior color you chose. Colors/materials are combined and mismatched everywhere. It's a mess. That said, they'll sell a bunch.

Also it’s worth remembering here that a bronco and Jeep are not in the same class as a 200. 200’s are nearly 100k, they are going to have nicer interior materials. (Also Jeeps are s***, total s***.) But compare a LC/LX interior to other cars that cost that much and you will see the massive difference and how far behind the Toyota/Lexus’s are. The Navigator (Wow!), Escalade, Denali, any of the Mercedes, Audi, ext. It’s not even close, Toyota is miles behind if your talking interiors or infotainment.
The bronco is not a competitor with the 200 and honestly I don’t think LC’s have any true competition. It’s a huge, off-road capable, luxury suv that can also tow. I don’t know if another vehicle that does that (don’t tell me Land Rover bc those are really horrible vehicles that I know all about).
The only new suv that could make me possibly sell my 200 is the new Rivian. Those look incredible, I just don’t think my live style of road trips and towing can be done with electric just yet.
The new G wagon is a great comparison to the LC/LX.

I got an up close view of the new full-size Bronco on Monday. I gotta say it didn't WOW me like I thought it would. Now granted, this wasn't the Sasquatch package but I don't think I'll be letting my Heritage go for one of them. I'm also not a fan of the 2.7 Ecoboost engine. It's touted as a Wrangler competitor but I'm not buying it. Definitely needed some wheels and tires.

View attachment 2672641

View attachment 2672642

View attachment 2672644

View attachment 2672645

View attachment 2672648

View attachment 2672649

Not a snowball’s chance in Hell?(’s Revenge). :)

The new Bronco is what I expected the new Defender to be. The new defender could easily pass as an updated Bronco II. I was on the edge of buying one for the wife but I'll reserve judgement until I drive one.

I'd lease a Bronco, but I buy my Toyotas. The Bronco may be a blast and a half, and I think they look amazing. 3 years from now though, whole different set of concerns.

I see what you're saying @DenverLX. I also consider myself a toyota guy. I've owned 3 tacomas, 3 tundras, 2 4runners, a sequoia, fjcruiser and 6 Landcruisers. So i am far from a ford fan boy, but I wish Toyota would take a page from Ford as far as listening to feedback from customers and incorporating into their vehicles. Maybe they do in other parts of the world. Or maybe they do here and I'm just the odd guy that wants more interior storage, multiple device charging locations, more adjustable and comfortable seats and a crew cab truck that actually has a place to store a tow strap or jumper cables. To me the F150 interior is better thought out for use as a truck, daily driving and comfort and it seems Toyota is regressing in these areas to save money (on the tundra anyway). Taco is pretty great, but lacks in comfort.

I finally bought my first Ford a couple of years ago and loved all of these things about it. The new bronco is pretty cool and I'm sure they will sell many - i'd for sure take one of those over a jeep.

However, having said that - I just traded in the loaded Raptor last week for a 200 and I don't regret it. My warranty was about up so what better time to get into a landcruiser?

You guys are crazy. Look I’m a land cruiser guy through and through, I’ve owned 4 in a row and been driving them exclusively since I was 20. I don’t plan on switching to the bronco from my LX, but that doesn’t mean I don’t think the bronco is awesome.
I have been following the bronco closely and there is no doubt that it will be by far the most capable off-road vehicle ever sold from a factory. The tech is crazy cool, they really listened to the costumer and delivered what people want.
I love Toyota’s but the gas mileage, and complete lack of any decent innovations (CarPlay not till 2020?!?!) is ridiculous. Just compare an F150 to a tundra, the tundra is literally a decade+ old truck. Our LC/LX’s have incredibly dated interiors, electronics and engines compared to any other brand.
Now the trade off seems to be reliability, and there is no doubting that the LC is in a league of its own. But that being said most newer cars are built much better than you might think. And for the person doubting the reliability of the ford ecoboost engines, I think they have proven themselves well. Most of my family and friends drive fords, and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to own one. The new bronco is insanely cool and will be far most off-road capable than a LC or Jeep and I’m excited to see it. However, I have no plans to be trading in my LX for one. (But I do think about getting a raptor often....)
I agree. I use Ford trucks for work and they are pretty reliable despite getting beat on forest roads all over the west. None of them have had major issues (F250 w a slide in, f150 3.5 ecoboost, expedition with 3.5 ecoboost, and a ranger). They're all pretty comfy and get much better gas mileage while having a lot more power than Yotas. I think the bronco is pretty sweet and both the 2.3 and 2.7 scoot. I'm just excited there's a new body on frame option with a manual transmission in 2021. Toyota drivetrains are reliable these days but man they are thirsty for the level of power you get.

The Bronco is obviously not in the same class as the Land cruiser. I'll bet though that they get pretty close in price once the options are added and the resultant dealer mark-up is tacked on. It might be a fun vehicle to add to the fleet but no way will it replace the cruiser. The Ecoboost engines have been fairly good with the exception of the smaller displacement. They are very expensive to repair and I don't think I would trust it after 5 or more years and 150k miles. I've owned several full size Broncos in the past and they were all decent trucks with reliable engines and drivetrains. I guess we'll see in a few months how the new one does.

I just don’t understand it. I saw one of the sport models in person and when I saw the tolerances in the body panels I though for sure it had been in an accident. So sure that I suggested the owner go back to the body shop to complain. They were very confused.

but even these pics, you just know that after one or two trails, there will be loose interior pieces all over and rattling.

I’d rather buy a 10 year old 4runner.

I had a 4-door Big Bend as a rental. My impression was that it is a street-oriented take on the small cute-ute segment. Kind of like a small version of an FJC but with touchscreen "infotainment" controls and the better street manners of an IRS. I suspect it will sell even better than the FJC did with empty-nest suburban moms and urban hipster DINKs. Nice little zippy all-weather commuter car. Not a high-T vehicle. Competes with the RAV4.

I just don’t understand it. I saw one of the sport models in person and when I saw the tolerances in the body panels I though for sure it had been in an accident. So sure that I suggested the owner go back to the body shop to complain. They were very confused.

but even these pics, you just know that after one or two trails, there will be loose interior pieces all over and rattling.

I’d rather buy a 10 year old 4runner.
Soon after i bought my Raptor i took it on a 100 mile dirt road loop with the fam one Sunday afternoon. I thought with that fancy Raptor suspension it was surely going to be a fun off-road day with a smooth ride. It actually did have a great ride and the seats in my Raptor were much more comfortable than my last Tundy (2016 TRD PRO). But, the ford body panels and doors rattled and squeeked so bad the whole fam simultaneously - as if on que - made a huge sigh of relief when we hit pavement again. That was the last time I took it offroad really, which is pretty unfortunate considering it was designed to be a desert race truck. My 86 fj60 was quieter offroad (btw, don't mention that on a Ford forum or you'll get the wrath of the keyboard crew). I could hit the washboards at high speed in the TRD Pro and it seemed the only rattles were items in my door pockets.

My drivers door on the Raptor sat about 3/8" in on one side than the other. Came from the factory that way. You can just tell they aren't scrutinized as much for quality when being built. Also, one thing I hated was when passing semis on the freeway and you get that gust of wind - I could see the hood flexing significantly in the gust. It always stressed me out that it was going to flex so much the latch would come undone and I'd get the hood in my lap at 80 MPH. Its too bad because I honestly loved a lot of things about my Raptor, but I could just tell it wasn't going to be a long term rig for me. Timing was good, Even with 30k miles the dealer offered me what I paid for it new as a trade on my 200.

I'm really hoping Toyota steps it up on their new Tundra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom