Trade in my Heritage for a new Bronco? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new more "refined" (ha ha) Road & Track Magazine did an overview of the Bronco in the June/July double issue......

Comments on a Bronco forum were along these lines:

"This is just a hunch, but I don’t think it’s gonna suffice for most of the fellas ‘round these parts"

I will look at the new Bronco pretty seriously when it comes time to replace my 200. I like my 200 and I liked my 80 series before that, but they aren't perfect. The styling on the 200 is mediocre - mine looks like my daughter's Highlander. The new ones are better looking for sure. I am a bit bemused by some of the items that appear to be chronic failure points on the 200. Like the radiator cracks, coolant TEE failure, starter failures, cam tower leaks, undersized brakes, drain plugs that can't be removed from the differentials, the fact that all the skid plates have to come off to do an oil change and the incredible rusting KDSS valves. Speaking of rust, for a vehicle that costs what a 200 does, I would have expected Toyota to put some time into corrosion prevention on the frame..

The Bronco won't be perfect and no one should expect it to be. Just like the 200.

Bronco is just latest greatest for diehard ford guys . I have had a lot of suvs and trucks over the years , not one vehicle does everything . New Bronco does nothing for me , looks like a cheap Land / Range Rover that has doors that come off .
I picked up a 2021 Jeep wrangler JLU rubicon diesel got a smokin deal had to drive 250 miles , would never consider trading any of my LC 200 for a bronco or Jeep just a different toy .
I’m on the jeep forums and the same question was asked to the jeep guys ... That would be a no for those guys .
Bronco is just hyped up , I allways thought the 200 was a little small till I picked up a 5th gen 4Runner for the wife , The 200 is pretty close to perfect by 2021 everyone says 87k for a LC was a lot .
My MSRP on the jeep was 68k and for that toy I would say the same for that toy ... I paid 57k plus made 4K on my trade with the high trade values I did great last month .
Everything is just going to get stupid expensive , we have f150 for at work , can’t have Toyota on union jobs in my area , ford , Chevy , dodge all our new F150s and 250s look like golf balls with all the dents in aluminum , even the door jams guys dropping tools and equipment punched holes in the jams .
That would be a no for the bronco for me .

I had one on reserve, then they said that they won’t have the 2 door manual transmission Samsquanch available at launch, then they delayed the launch because they claimed not to have any hard tops, now that there is limited availability of certain other packages and combinations at launch.

Funny you say that, I drive a 95 80 series, mostly stock but with the magic dial. Recently I test drove Jeep JKs with a friend of mine, she wanted me there because before my love for Land Cruisers I loved Jeeps. I know them very well. The JK felt like a dark plastic cave. And not very solid plastic either. The first dealership we went to had a Rubicon JL in 6 speed form. I asked the salesman for the keys and hopped in. The leather on the steering wheel felt very cheap, the ergonomics were dismal at best, and all around felt like one of my sons toys. I was very surprised it felt very similar to my 2006 LJ Rubicon. I'm not sure if I'm biased, but even in 1995 when my 80 was built, it was built and designed way better than the JL was. I've driven a 200, and I couldn't imagine driving a JL after. V8 or not.
My 2013 4Runner, a Toyota more in line price wise with a Wrangler has a miserable cheap s*** interior. The only thing going for it is that it has held up to serious abuse.

The interior of my wife’s JGC looks better than any Toyota I’ve had.

I had a 4-door Big Bend as a rental. My impression was that it is a street-oriented take on the small cute-ute segment. Kind of like a small version of an FJC but with touchscreen "infotainment" controls and the better street manners of an IRS. I suspect it will sell even better than the FJC did with empty-nest suburban moms and urban hipster DINKs. Nice little zippy all-weather commuter car. Not a high-T vehicle. Competes with the RAV4.

To be fair, your rental was a Bronco Sport, not a Bronco, right? They are completely different vehicles. Bronco Sport is based on the Escape, as you alluded.

To be fair, your rental was a Bronco Sport, not a Bronco, right? They are completely different vehicles. Bronco Sport is based on the Escape, as you alluded.
You can’t rent the real Bronco.

I blame Ford, because when they pushed the real Bronco back they started advertising the Sport as a legit off roader.

That explains my impression. Thanks for the correction. I was astonished at how small and street-oriented it was...must have been the Sport. I must be getting old :frown:; can't keep up with this trendy brand-sharing across platforms. Unfortunately for Ford, I wasn't the only person thrown off--random strangers were looking at it at in parking lots, and they all thought it was "the new Bronco," and were astonished by its small size and obvious lack of off-road capability.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom