TPI tri-y's

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by brian, Aug 13, 2005.

1. brian

brian SILVER Star

so anybody have a set of their "new" headers?
    the pic they show is of a 6>1, yet they're calling them tri-y's????
    how do they fit, mainly the fit up between the header and the intake?
    i was running downey headers, they fit great but i find they don't last very long(more then a few years). and at 300some pennies that i don't have at the moment, i find them a bit spendy too.

tpi's are listed at 150something-ish.

mine are broken agian and this time i can't them without bending over backwards. i need to do something soon i have a nasty leak on the headers as well as a blown in/ex gasket at a few ex ports. good thing i have a weber, it thoughtfully runs richs enough to keep from burning the ex valves :grinpimp: .

was also thinking about jto's 6>1's, although i don't really like the way they "look". but they "insist" that you mill the intake manifold, to insure that it's flat.....wink...wink.....nod....nod.....not that it has to do with the header flange being a little on the light side.

2. 65swb45

65swb45 Elder Statesman Supporting Vendor

TPI's pic and the price are consistent with the standard 6 into 1 header. You can bet you will not be getting a Tri-Y at that price. Not sure why they want to call it that when it is obvious that it is not. Don't want to guess either.

I run the real Tri-Y and have for almost 15 years now. Never actually had one leak out of all the ones I've sold either. OTOH, the 6 into 1s almost always leak, either behind the flange where the runner is bent over hard, fatiguing the metal, or in the MASSIVE 6 way collector, which is usually in a spot you can't even get a welder to. :mad:

That is why I don't sell those. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.