Toyota "Value Line" new CV Axles - Any Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Looks like McGeorge is at ~$401 + $40.

So here's the question. What would they do with a garbage Chinese made core that sold for $50 new?

Last week, of October 2020. I saw an online Toyota Dealership Parts dep., started charging a cord charge of $40 for FDS. I confirmed this with my local Dealership parts department.

May just be a glitch in software. But if not, indicates they be offering OEM rebuilt through Toyota soon.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Update from my friend who is a Parts Analyst at Plano.... :)

First the text with him....

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 13.18.50.png

Good to go it seems... :lol:

Then he emails me the following:

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 13.38.05.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 13.38.24.png

This doesn't mean that remanufactured (43420-60040-84) CV shafts will be available, but it does mean that they are doing engineering viability studies. IE: is it worth the money to develop a core program with these PNs. The list is actually very long... not just Land Cruiser CV shafts.

NVM, answered on page 2

So, Mr. T is gonna charge an extra $40 on top of the price for a core return? I'd imagine that if you send back a non-OEM unit, you don't get your core return money back?
Totally sucks to be going back to OEM axles, especially if cleaning up someone else's mistake of using non-OEM axles.

Or, the price remains constant and you get $40 back if you send them an OEM axle?

One of those ways is inexcusable for the size of company that is Mr. T; this whole exercise easily qualifies as internal R&D, where the R&D dollars get recouped from sales of the commercial product.

Core charge is only refunded when an OEM unit is returned. This is a "loose" policy. IE: Do parts department personnel really know the difference between OEM and non-OEM? Most don't. You could probably slip a China-com unit by a Toyota parts droid manning the front counter. They are usually the clowns. :lol:

When I was managing parts departments, I took back any core as long as it was vehicle-specific. I was even looser with starter cores.

But, Toyota has been clamping down on a lot of these "loose" policies from the past.

Funny, I grabbed this funny looking thing on my desk and dialed some numbers on the screen and spoke to a person I know who knows what he knows.

What does this PN mean to anyone in the 'know'? 00016-AX185

Hmmm “Temporary” core charge-

Funny, I grabbed this funny looking thing on my desk and dialed some numbers on the screen and spoke to a person I know who knows what he knows.

What does this PN mean to anyone in the 'know'? 00016-AX185

That's an SET specific value line CV shaft part number. 00016 is Southeast Toyota specific aftermarket parts they sell to dealerships. It's a Cardone unit. Junk.

Hmmm “Temporary” core charge-

They are researching feasibility of remanufactured CV's for a very large part number list that is only available as new OEM.

So, I have a feeling they are seeing how many get returned, at what price point they get returned at and finally, in what shape the returned parts are in and whether remanufacturing them is worth it.

Appreciate getting the inside scoop on Toyota parts ops.:cheers:

Traditionally, smaller companies seek external funding for R&D in order to get product to market and get sales started. External funding is not unusual, and expected in some sectors (high tech, mass manufacturing, etc).

Traditionally, larger companies internally fund R&D to get further product to market and recoup the investment through sales.

Mr.T in no way qualifies as a smaller company. Why have they chosen to get external funding for their R&D project?

I'm not judging the project, I'm disappointed in the business practice.

Who's this Mr. T guy and why doesn't he have a phone?

Your missing the point. The thought is that the vehicle is at a stage that the cheap part will likely last longer than the vehicle itself.
In my experience, and having been in SET and GST land and having been down the CV axle conundrum with mom's 2001 Limited 4Runner, the aftermarket part blew up 40k miles after the fix on a vehicle my old man didn't plan on keeping more than 2 years or 12,000 more miles. That was 6 years and 80k miles ago, lol.

😎

In my experience, and having been in SET and GST land and having been down the CV axle conundrum with mom's 2001 Limited 4Runner, the aftermarket part blew up 40k miles after the fix on a vehicle my old man didn't plan on keeping more than 2 years or 12,000 more miles. That was 6 years and 80k miles ago, lol.

The universe gets even eventually, haha.

Let me buy this cheap part since it'll be the next schmuck that has to deal with it when it fails in a few years. [6 years later] ... Son of a ....

They are researching feasibility of remanufactured CV's for a very large part number list that is only available as new OEM.

So, I have a feeling they are seeing how many get returned, at what price point they get returned at and finally, in what shape the returned parts are in and whether remanufacturing them is worth it.

I would love to see how they test the spline wear and what limits they set as acceptable. If they somehow verify genuine Toyota only and have tight control of spline wear this could be a really neat offering.

or...

Toyota has been building CV axles for $100 and selling them for $400 for years. They are very good. Other companies build them for $50 and sell them for $100. Not as good, but they'll likely last for half as long as the Toyota, and folks don't necessarily see the value in putting a 250k mile item on a 20 year old truck, so spending 75% less and likely getting 50% of the life seems like a good trade.

Toyota sees the numbers going down, and decides that by charging only 50% more than the competition, they will likely capture a lot of the business back, and still see a 50% profit. The folks that are willing to pay full price will still pay full price, because they are die hard believers that anything "value" can't be what Mr T intended, so no loss of business there.

I had aftermarket CV's and lasted 15K miles before it goes all crazy... including vibration, severe clunk on all 2 joints and at splines on both ends.
Now, to the door actuator... If door actuator fails while you are going cross country on Thanksgiving would you get stranded due to closure of shops and garages?

My understanding and experience with the door actuators is they fail to move in high heat. No problem in winter, not hit summer days with sun beating down in the door.
Even when they fail, the key still works, so never a worry of stranding.
I’m thinking on the CV’s I want to have them rebuilt instead of buying new. Supposed to be a great shop in the Denver area that does rebuilds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom