Toyota "Value Line" new CV Axles - Any Experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HburgEagle

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this is yet another CV axle thread, but in researching for options, my father-in-law has a connection for Toyota parts through his body shop. The price for the new OE axles were no surprise at over $400, but the dealer also offered a Toyota Value Line axle that was also a new part at about $110 per side. Have any of you used these? Some Googling didn't return much info.

** Edit **
I got my value line axle. Part number pic here: Toyota "Value Line" new CV Axles - Any Experience?

Last edited:
Mr. T part number is essential

Never heard of it. Need details! Maybe they’re refurbed OEM axles???

Maybe for 250 they could be decent. For $110, my money is on them being garbage. Also, $400 for a new Toyota CV is a great price.

I was given the "value line" option recently on my alternator and starter replacements, I went with what apparently is now OE"S":

Toyota sells both “OES” (OE service) parts and a less expensive OE Second Line set of parts for repairers and consumers to use, according to Mendoza. Both are warrantied by Toyota, he said.

Asked about the “defining value” between the lower-cost OE Second Line parts and purely aftermarket copies of Toyota parts, Mendoza answered that both the OES and Second Line parts “came from Toyota.”

Toyota engineers in Japan approved both, Mendoza said. “It’s Toyota through and through,” he said. Both are meant to deliver the reliability and quality consumers sought when purchasing a Toyota.

Williams called the OE Second Line parts a “phenomenal value proposition.”

I tend to think of it like this,
I bought a Land Cruiser because of its reputation for reliability and robustness. Those qualities come from the sum of its parts.

Start replacing parts with anything less than exactly what was used originally and I've now compromised the qualities I bought the Cruiser for in the first place.

Downgrade enough of the original parts and at what point is it no longer a Cruiser. Death by a thousand cuts.

Of course if you bought yours for a different reason then just disregard this. haha.

Last edited:
No way, the dealer is probably just selling Cardone line aftermarkets and saying its "value line"

I had this thought too and asked if they were just re-boxed aftermarket parts. He said no, they were Toyota parts. I should have it tomorrow and will post pics and part numbers.

I was given the "value line" option recently on my alternator and starter replacements, I went with what apparently is now OE"S":

Toyota sells both “OES” (OE service) parts and a less expensive OE Second Line set of parts for repairers and consumers to use, according to Mendoza. Both are warrantied by Toyota, he said.

Asked about the “defining value” between the lower-cost OE Second Line parts and purely aftermarket copies of Toyota parts, Mendoza answered that both the OES and Second Line parts “came from Toyota.”

Toyota engineers in Japan approved both, Mendoza said. “It’s Toyota through and through,” he said. Both are meant to deliver the reliability and quality consumers sought when purchasing a Toyota.

Williams called the OE Second Line parts a “phenomenal value proposition.”

This is the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you!

From the only article I can find with info on this:
" Asked why the service parts would be different than what was installed on the vehicle at the factory, Mendoza said it had to do with cost of ownership. Sometimes, Toyota finds that the part wouldn’t be price-competitive with the market, he said. He also pointed out that a service part for a 10-year-old car might not need the “same legs” as one installed on a brand-new car. "

I read that as: "Some used car owners are cheap, and will not pay for Toyota quality parts on their older car. Since the car is already old, the replacement doesn't need to be as good, since the car won't make it much longer anyways. Therefore, this is a cheap option built to compete with the bottom barrel parts sold in parts stores and will be made by non-OE manufacturers with sub-par manufacturing standards which we would never accept for OE vehicles coming off the line, despite the core design being similar enough to the OE part that we were able to convince some engineers in Japan to sign off.

I call foul, sir. :rofl:

On balance, look at it down the middle using an example.

The fuel pump just died, and rust is becoming an issue on the rig despite best efforts. The rig has 227,734 miles on the original fuel pump. The chassis may have 5-7 years left before it gets terminal since it is in a state with inspections.

You always use Mr. T parts. Do you go full blown factory OEM fuel pump or get the value line Mr. T option?

Not my situation, but I'd get the value line option and bank the savings towards a rust free 200 series.

I mean, really, when your door lock actuator motor(s) died, did you get the common Amazon replacement or pay for the whole Mr. T OEM replacement assembly?

The fuel pump just died, and rust is becoming an issue on the rig despite best efforts. The rig has 227,734 miles on the original fuel pump. The chassis may have 5-7 years left before it gets terminal since it is in a state with inspections.

You always use Mr. T parts. Do you go full blown factory OEM fuel pump or get the value line Mr. T option?

Not my situation, but I'd get the value line option and bank the savings towards a rust free 200 series.

I mean, really, when your door lock actuator motor(s) died, did you get the common Amazon replacement or pay for the whole Mr. T OEM replacement assembly?
Touché

Speaking of fuel pump replacements, in that case of a fuel pump, theres the Denso one for like $115, then you can get aftermarket ones from Partsouq for $8. This is what a $8 fuel pump for a uzj100 looks like:

1604553231295.png

haha, right after I ordered 15 hella relays I realized hella sold to china in 2019.

Nissan also has a Value Line of CV axles sold at dealers. They are basically aftermarket axles from China with OEM boots.

A door actuator weakening won’t cause an accident on road or leave you stranded. A blown CV axle on the other hand...

or...

Toyota has been building CV axles for $100 and selling them for $400 for years. They are very good. Other companies build them for $50 and sell them for $100. Not as good, but they'll likely last for half as long as the Toyota, and folks don't necessarily see the value in putting a 250k mile item on a 20 year old truck, so spending 75% less and likely getting 50% of the life seems like a good trade.

Toyota sees the numbers going down, and decides that by charging only 50% more than the competition, they will likely capture a lot of the business back, and still see a 50% profit. The folks that are willing to pay full price will still pay full price, because they are die hard believers that anything "value" can't be what Mr T intended, so no loss of business there.

or...

Toyota has been building CV axles for $100 and selling them for $400 for years. They are very good. Other companies build them for $50 and sell them for $100. Not as good, but they'll likely last for half as long as the Toyota, and folks don't necessarily see the value in putting a 250k mile item on a 20 year old truck, so spending 75% less and likely getting 50% of the life seems like a good trade.

Toyota sees the numbers going down, and decides that by charging only 50% more than the competition, they will likely capture a lot of the business back, and still see a 50% profit. The folks that are willing to pay full price will still pay full price, because they are die hard believers that anything "value" can't be what Mr T intended, so no loss of business there.

This is absolutely incorrect.

Since the OP is in MS, it is a Gulf States region Toyota dealer he is going to.

GST is a distributorship based out of Houston, TX. They control the right to Toyota parts distribution in the Gulf region.

GST has their own “value line” of CV axles that they sell through their dealerships. Toyota allows them to do so as an “approved service parts replacement.”

These are generally Cardone remanufactured CV shafts.

For factory OEM part replacement, Toyota does not offer a remanufactured/value line for the Land Cruiser series vehicles. New only: 43430-60040.

These are manufactured by JTEKT which is a subsidiary of the Toyota Group and a combination of Toyoda Industries, JTEKT, and Koyo.

A9947C58-7B8F-4F35-B722-B70B50B710F3.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom