Toyota saving $$ short cuts 100 to 200 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:hillbilly:I agree. I get a slight knocking at a cold start-up; probably piston slap. It's good to know I am not the only one that notices it.

Kind of sorry I brought this thread up. Looks like the 200 is the BOMB!! Time to get more seat time!! Thanks guys for the education.

I'm like :popcorn:

Subbed'

IM dreaming of my next LandCruiser n I saw a sweet lifted white 200 series a few days ago.

I'm pretty much sold. Keeping my 80 fer life tho. Probably need to get another 40 inbetween somewhere too.

But 200 is Def on the list.

Check out these pics from a few years ago with I installed shock after just 6 month. The bolt are silver coated but it it coating or paint.
I was truly impressed at the condition of the bolts that were removed from the 14 year old 1999 100 when I did the suspension bushing replacement. Even though I replaced all the bolts with new I could have reused almost every one. Look at the bolts in this thread:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/replaced-all-swaybar-hardware-a-must-do-for-all.728656/

That said not matter what anal issue I have with my 200 I love it. Light years ahead of the 100 and I loved that truck too. It's not perfect, but it's still awesome.

slee. I'm sure you see the difference in the coatings. Time will tell if they hold up as well as he CAD plating.

Last edited:
I had some slight surface rust on my recovery points. I decided to remove them, hit them with the angle grinder, primer, and paint. When I pulled the bolts, there was considerable rust on the upper parts of the threads. I used a wire brush to clean off the rust and used a ton of grease when re-installing.

My truck was originally from Colorado, where they do not use salt (most of the time) but they do use lots of magnesium chloride. My bolts were certainly coated from the factory, but they certainly are not impenetrable.

I had some slight surface rust on my recovery points. I decided to remove them, hit them with the angle grinder, primer, and paint. When I pulled the bolts, there was considerable rust on the upper parts of the threads. I used a wire brush to clean off the rust and used a ton of grease when re-installing.

My truck was originally from Colorado, where they do not use salt (most of the time) but they do use lots of magnesium chloride. My bolts were certainly coated from the factory, but they certainly are not impenetrable.

Environment is a big factor. My 100's that I owned in the rust belt had to be cleaned up every spring. A little work but it kept the rust to a minimum. Love my NV/TX 100 no rust.

well, I'm one of those that got the wobble and the Thunk...obviously Toyota waited to fix the thunk until after 2008? The 1700-2000 RPM wobble thing is annoying, and will hopefully be fixed under warranty ... other than that, I'd say much more refined, much more power, better gas mileage, plus the Bluetooth works very well compared to the 2004 100 I had...

I'm like :popcorn:

Subbed'

IM dreaming of my next LandCruiser n I saw a sweet lifted white 200 series a few days ago.

I'm pretty much sold. Keeping my 80 fer life tho. Probably need to get another 40 inbetween somewhere too.

But 200 is Def on the list.

It may well be the white one on this forum lifted on 33x13" tires. It is amazing looking and I bet even better in person rolling down the road.

magnesium chloride = salt

"Magnesium chloride is the name for the chemical compounds with the formulas MgCl2 and its various hydrates MgCl2(H2O)x. These salts are typical ionichalides, being highly soluble in water. The hydrated magnesium chloride can be extracted from brine or sea water. In North America, magnesium chloride is produced primarily from Great Salt Lake brine."

Yes, it is a salt. I was referring to salt in the classic sense, Sodium Chloride or Calcium Chloride (which are far more caustic and were traditionally used as "road salt" in the past). You know what I meant.:moon:

Edit: Magnesium Chloride is called MAG Salt and Calcium and Sodium chlorides are called "road salts". I had to learn all of this when I was originally researching buying a cruiser from the west and the northeast. Metropolitan Colorado uses MAG, while some of the smaller towns still use Sodium and Calcium Chlorides. Another interesting fact, is that the MAG will actually corrode the fake plasticized chrome found on the 200.

Edit: I found this interesting fact while comparing the two different salts. I found this surprising, as I was always under the impression that MgCl and a lot less caustic than CaCl.

Magnesium chloride is more corrosive to the metals found on roadways.
The Corrosion Data Survey published by the National Association of Corrosion Engineers indicates that MgCl2 is more than twice as corrosive to 304 stainless steel than CaCl2. The NACE survey also indicates that MgCl2 can be 10 times more corrosive to mild steel than CaCl2.
http://pollard.mnsi.net/calvsmag.html

images

Last edited:
SWUtah, I am glad that you started this thread. I am in the same situation, having driven my 100 since 2003. I am now looking at a 200, but would love to know if my expectations will be met or if I would be just as happy with say, a Tundra. I love Cruisers and want to know as much as possible before diving in. With that said, I anticipate having a wonderful time with a 200 once I purchase mine.

SWUtah, I am glad that you started this thread. I am in the same situation, having driven my 100 since 2003. I am now looking at a 200, but would love to know if my expectations will be met or if I would be just as happy with say, a Tundra. I love Cruisers and want to know as much as possible before diving in. With that said, I anticipate having a wonderful time with a 200 once I purchase mine.

I have a 200 and have driven a Tundra so my impression is not that of someone that has/had owned both, but there is no comparison in my opinion. This is in no way to knock the Tundra, but the build quality of the 200 is that of a bank vault and the fit and finish is above that of the Tundra (I drove a Platinum). Again, it is difficult to iterate, but the feeling is completely different from the thud of the doors shutting to the feedback while driving. Completely subjective, I know. Now, if looking for a pick up, I would consider the Tundra or the F150. However, as a small guy, I feel lost in both of those vehicles...real lost. The interior of those trucks seem to dwarf those from Chevy or any "half-ton" vehicle I have ever driven.

I had a Tundra 5.7, had 2 100's and now have a 200 series... The Tundra was fun to drive, steering and brakes were spot on, IMO... But what made the Tundra fun to drive also got annoying after awhile, when you have that much HP in a rear wheel drive rig once the rains came and your on any kind of hill the traction control kicked in the minute you gave it gas, right after peeling out that is. Which basically took all you power away... The interior of the Tundra was more roomy, more storage but had a very cold plastic feel to it, IMO... I can't knock the Tundra too much, had a ton of fun driving that truck.... I loved my 100 series too, but with a full load of people and gear at times we ran low on power! I will agree the 4.7 (IMO) seemed a notch smoother, but I like hearing my 5.7 under the hood!!! The 200 for me is the best of the Tundra and 100 throw into a package deal with lots of extra awesome S**T!!! Loved my 100 and my Tundra, but anyone who buys a 200 will not be disappointed IMO, it still puts a smile on my face everyday when I jump in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
email194.jpg
email3245.jpg
email5145.jpg

The whole refined/unrefined debate can never end as it's an opinion at the end of the day. Iit all depends what you're comparing that engine to.

Now you all know US spec 200s are fully loaded, other parts of the world get the exact same cruiser but have an option on to choose "luxury specs". Reliability, toughness and all that is the same. The Australian mines beat on these on a daily basis they might have a different engine but the rest of the cruiser should be identical. Engine longevity? You should have some high milage 5.7s that aren't in a 200.

Toyota builds everything with a Land Cruiser badge to withstand more than what the previous gens could, also a lot of people complain the newer models don't wheel as well as the previous. They do, they just cost you a lot of money that's why you're taking too easy, its human nature, it looks bigger and is newer and more expensive, alarm bells will go off in your head in any offroad situation. My first desert trip consisted of stopping and getting stuck every half hour thinking i was going to rip the bumpers off. These things are built tough and will go on and on. Even the Prados wich are the baby land cruisers have to be able to perform offroad.
If you're thinking of 200, 100 whatever it is, rent one, borrow one, steal one, go for a joy ride. These aren't new age spaceships. They're dinosaurs with lightbars on their heads. :cheers:

Here's something from one of the developers:

I first got involved in the Land Cruiser development back in the days of the BJ40 and FJ55V. I think back with nostalgia remembering driving a BJ40 down the Meishin Highway, with all of the road noise in the background and sweaty hands gripping the wheel.

Later the Land Cruiser went through a series of evolutionary developments from the L/C 60, 70, 80, 90 (Prado), and the 100. Thinking back to the early days, it's almost as if the Land Cruiser has been on a constant path of improvement in drivability.

In fact, with every model change the Land Cruiser always had the same basic aim in development. That was first to build on the Land Cruiser tradition of reliability, durability, and offroad performance, and second to improve it handling stability, riding comfort, quietude, and driving performance.
-Takeo Kondo

it still puts a smile on my face everyday when I jump in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is what I got out of my 100 and what I look forward to in a 200..., plus more toque and a fridge in the center console!!

Last edited:
Oh, and kreiten, great looking trucks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom