Toyota saving $$ short cuts 100 to 200 series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am no techy genius... But my 200 kicks ass all over my 100 imo... My family and I have little off road books and we like to explore old ghost towns go on scenic roads, find remote camping spots and just go out and have a good time. (Can't call myself hardcore) In our little books 1-2 is a graded dirt road 3-6 are for capable suv's 7-8 are rigs with 3-6 inch lifts and 35" tires plus "most likely to damage your vehicle" and 9-10 is a dedicated off road rock crawler... I have always ever gone on trails that are rated 1 to 6 and all I know is both the 100 and the 200 always get me where I want to go... So technicals aside, imo the 200 is stronger, quieter, bigger and more features. I really miss my 100's but I love my 2013 200 series

I guess personally my land cruiser is no Mall Crawler, but it's no rock crawler either... I prefer to say it likes to cruise the land

I want to thank all of you for educating me on the 200 series. I bought a 2011 LX570 with 28k miles last week. Now I have a 100 and a 200 series. Wife wants me to sell the 100 series. Only advertising it on Mud and I hope no one buys it :).

image.jpg
200 series

As a follow-up, I would be interested to hear your comparison of the two platforms.

As a follow-up, I would be interested to hear your comparison of the two platforms.

Give me a couple of months and I will. My first thoughts my LX100 series is a beast and the LX200 is a gentle giant beast. But my 100 has a 2" lift rock sliders and "E" rated 33" BFG KO's. Might be comparing apples and oranges?

I agree on the "wait a few months...", because that may mean rock sliders and 33" tires on the 200 series.:cheers:

I agree on the "wait a few months...", because that may mean rock sliders and 33" tires on the 200 series.:cheers:

I'm looking at 33" tires but I don't know or can determine the benefit of 33" over 31.9" or 275/60/20 over 275/55/20 since I won't be taking it off road. Plus my spare is a 31.2" 285/50/20 (OEM) and if I use a 275/55/20 versus going bigger to a 275/60/20 I will need to spend an additional $250 for a 33" spare. The current spare will work for a emergency if I am running the 31.9" 275/55/20's.

The whole refined/unrefined debate can never end as it's an opinion at the end of the day. Iit all depends what you're comparing that engine to.

Now you all know US spec 200s are fully loaded, other parts of the world get the exact same cruiser but have an option on to choose "luxury specs". Reliability, toughness and all that is the same. The Australian mines beat on these on a daily basis they might have a different engine but the rest of the cruiser should be identical. Engine longevity? You should have some high milage 5.7s that aren't in a 200.

Toyota builds everything with a Land Cruiser badge to withstand more than what the previous gens could, also a lot of people complain the newer models don't wheel as well as the previous. They do, they just cost you a lot of money that's why you're taking too easy, its human nature, it looks bigger and is newer and more expensive, alarm bells will go off in your head in any offroad situation. My first desert trip consisted of stopping and getting stuck every half hour thinking i was going to rip the bumpers off. These things are built tough and will go on and on. Even the Prados wich are the baby land cruisers have to be able to perform offroad.
If you're thinking of 200, 100 whatever it is, rent one, borrow one, steal one, go for a joy ride. These aren't new age spaceships. They're dinosaurs with lightbars on their heads. :cheers:

Here's something from one of the developers:

I first got involved in the Land Cruiser development back in the days of the BJ40 and FJ55V. I think back with nostalgia remembering driving a BJ40 down the Meishin Highway, with all of the road noise in the background and sweaty hands gripping the wheel.

Later the Land Cruiser went through a series of evolutionary developments from the L/C 60, 70, 80, 90 (Prado), and the 100. Thinking back to the early days, it's almost as if the Land Cruiser has been on a constant path of improvement in drivability.

In fact, with every model change the Land Cruiser always had the same basic aim in development. That was first to build on the Land Cruiser tradition of reliability, durability, and offroad performance, and second to improve it handling stability, riding comfort, quietude, and driving performance.
-Takeo Kondo

I completely agree. The United States beefs up the Land Cruisers to the Luxury Trim. Thus, a LC over here is different than one overseas. However, in the end of the day a Land Cruiser is a Land Cruiser and, it is built to conquer the toughest terrains.:cheers: :bounce::bounce2:

Personally, I would prefer a 100 series over a 200 because, there is less electronics and, the more electronics, the more that can go wrong.:grinpimp:

Finally, in the US, it is rumored that Toyota only sells the Luxury Trim over here because, otherwise, they would not make a profit (by charging less);). Ironically, by only having the luxury trim with the 200, Toyota is killing the LC in the USA Market :bang::eek:. It is currently the worst selling SUV in the USA due to the Luxury only option.:(

Owners that have had both what have you noticed when it comes to going backwards versus forward to save $$$ in engineering or build strength?

Example - 100 series oil change keep skid plate on several bolts 4-6, just open access for oil filter and remove, same with oil pan drain. With 200 remove entire front skid plate with only 3 bolts holding on the entire skid plate. This to me is an example of a company that is trying to save $$$ by under engineering the new model compared to the old model.
I using you anolory of counting bolts have change central dif fluid in LC200 can you count how many bolts you need to remove to get to the hole? about 10 in LC100 0 - what is your point?

I using you anolory of counting bolts have change central dif fluid in LC200 can you count how many bolts you need to remove to get to the hole? about 10 in LC100 0 - what is your point?

You would have to read the entire thread. This post by me was based on misinformation from a 200 owner that was later cleared up. 200 is better built. The reason for the thread was to get insight before I bought a 200 to determine if Toyota was improving the breed or trying to cheapen and save money. I have determined for myself that Toyota has improved the breed. Some posts can be confusing when taken out of context. Sorry

You would have to read the entire thread. This post by me was based on misinformation from a 200 owner that was later cleared up. 200 is better built. The reason for the thread was to get insight before I bought a 200 to determine if Toyota was improving the breed or trying to cheapen and save money. I have determined for myself that Toyota has improved the breed. Some posts can be confusing when taken out of context. Sorry
200 is a better form 100? I have 3 of them 80,100 and 200. I tell you - if I can take engine and trany from 200 and install into 100 - I say there would be no better rig . No idea why Japanese were messing with new 200 body look - 100 is an awesome just need stronger engine. Imagine 100 with 380HP and 6 speed trany.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting thread. I drove the same 100 for 16 years. I also have owned the same FJ60 for 28 years. This spring I bought a new LX. IMHO the LX is the best of the breed. Now, do I wish I could get a new FJ60 with the super smooth, bulletproof ***injected*** 4.7l with an auto? Absolutely. I much prefer the look and driving characteristics of the 60 and that silky smooth engine out of the 100. Maybe I could get the simple but comfortable 100 interior in the 60 as well. Or maybe I could get a new 200 with the 4.7 and the simple interior. That would be nice too. However, given that I can't get such vehicles new off the shelf in the US I will be perfectly happy with my LX. No reason pining away for something I can't have.

200 is a better form 100? I have 3 of them 80,100 and 200. I tell you - if I can take engine and trany from 200 and install into 100 - I say there would be no better rig . No idea why Japanese were messing with new 200 body look - 100 is an awesome just need stronger engine. Imagine 100 with 380HP and 6 speed trany.

Cool, thanks for the idea. My 100 has 290,000 miles, 13 years old and, I am looking for a more powerful legend. I'll look into the 200 series engine and tranny for the 100 series.

For me, I also agree about the looks. It looks pretty ugly. My friends who do not know anything about cars think the 100 is brand new to this day!

Even with the 200 series, more of it looks and feels plasticly. Its such a shame compared to the almost all leather 100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom