Toyota saving $$ short cuts 100 to 200 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

as refined as who made up to be as what?

What are you trying to ask; the definition of the word refined?

The engine/powertrain is not refined because it has known issues such as oil consumption (up to 1.5q per 5,000 miles), exhaust drone, gas pedal and steering wheel vibrations, and transmission jumping when downshifting in the lower RPM range. Its a great engine, but its not perfect.

Last edited:

The engine/powertrain is not refined because it has known issues such as oil consumption (up to 1.5q per 5,000 miles), exhaust drone, gas pedal and steering wheel vibrations, and transmission jumping when downshifting in the lower RPM range. Its a great engine, but its not perfect.

I can't stand hubris.

Wrong on ALL fronts. Just please stop.

My 200 doesn't exhibit any of these unrefined traits (seriously) but it does have a crappy center console that doubles as a fridge.

I don't know about some of those but I have experienced the transmission issue. It almost manifests itself as the engine stumbling, especially when the engine / transmission is cold. I definitely never saw that with my 100.

Bottom line, as someone who has extensive 100 experience (16 years with the same truck) and most of a year with my new LX, the engine in the LX is definitely not optimized in the same way as the old one for running smoothly or quietly. The 5.7 is a stark contrast with the 4.7.

Overlake - not sure your problem. If you are "the rock" I appreciated your build a year ago and like your truck but your posts are rude and not called for. We all love our cruisers and we generally are a happy bunch just sharing our thoughts. We're all here to learn something new and pass any knowledge we all have to others. Come on man!

I can't stand hubris.

Wrong on ALL fronts. Just please stop.

My new 2014 has the buzzing in the gas pedal and steering wheel around 2000 rpm that I think is linked to exhaust drone. It certainly is not a deal breaker, but a bit unexpected in an otherwise refined vehicle.

Overlake - not sure your problem. If you are "the rock" I appreciated your build a year ago and like your truck but your posts are rude and not called for. We all love our cruisers and we generally are a happy bunch just sharing our thoughts. We're all here to learn something new and pass any knowledge we all have to others. Come on man!

Nah. Just let him keep posting; It will make a stronger case to get him banned (allegedly again).

My 200 doesn't exhibit any of these unrefined traits (seriously) but it does have a crappy center console that doubles as a fridge have a fridge that doubles as a crappy center console .

Fixed. :)

I know this is off topic of the OP, and maybe you should post it in a separate thread, but tell me more about your exhaust modification.

Thread has a good start & another question as a "either a new Tundra or a used 200" --- the motor is my primary concern.
Is the timing a belt or a chain? Is the cam central like a domestic v8 or is there a cam on each head under the beauty cover?
Also, I was told the 1-2-3 knob in the low console is for the drivetrain - true or false? If so, function is what??
I thought it was the blower speed for climate control.
As for those that saw my previous post, I'm keeping my 80 & adding either the 200 or a new Tundra (~year out) -either way the motor question stays as the motor is the exact same, correct?
Thx in advance guys!

Read all about it!!

Attachments

• 3UR-FE_Engine_Proper.pdf
    576.3 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 3UR-FE_Engine.pdf
    192.9 KB · Views: 339
  • 3UR-FE_Engine_Valve_Mechanism.pdf
    252.1 KB · Views: 2,247
Read all about it!!

Forged con rods. Forged crankshaft. Significant power gains while more efficient. Drinks regular unleaded. Cheaper to maintain with no laborious timing belt hassle.

But whatever it's unrefined. Bad Toyota bad!

Sarcasm aside I am curious to learn whether there are any material differences between the U.S.tundra 5.7 v japanLC 5.7.

Last edited:
Thread has a good start & another question as a "either a new Tundra or a used 200" --- the motor is my primary concern.
Is the timing a belt or a chain? Is the cam central like a domestic v8 or is there a cam on each head under the beauty cover?
Also, I was told the 1-2-3 knob in the low console is for the drivetrain - true or false? If so, function is what??
I thought it was the blower speed for climate control.
As for those that saw my previous post, I'm keeping my 80 & adding either the 200 or a new Tundra (~year out) -either way the motor question stays as the motor is the exact same, correct?
Thx in advance guys!

The 1-2-3 switch is the the speed getting for crawl control. 1 being the slowest and 3 being the fastest.

Read all about it!!
Thx O!!! - that 3rd section made it clear, I'm on my phone so you lose some info - is that from the 200 FSM?

It's from the New Car Features section of Toyota Technical Information System (TIS). For the 2008 200 series (which is where all of the new model information goes), there are hundreds of pages of information about everything 200 series in distinction to the UZJ100.

Best to view these .pdf's on a real browser.

The 1-2-3 switch is the the speed getting for crawl control. 1 being the slowest and 3 being the fastest.
So the knob controls a 3-gear ratio transfer case?
Or am I wrong?

No. It controls a mechanical/hydraulic system that modulates the braking in conjunction with wheel spin (very much like ATRAC, but more advanced) and uses a large number of sensors (speed, transmission gear, braking, transfer gear reduction) to control the vehicles movements.

It "automates" basically all previous 4x4 controls to a certain degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom