Toyota Land Cruiser / Lexus LX470 or GX470??? That is the question?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is all good info and the repair maintenance list here is dead on. Many people will just do the timing belt and leave many vulnerable parts behind that should have been addressed. I have done all of this on two 100's I have owned, wasn't all that hard to do, a bit time consuming is all. Only thing I would add is to replace the heater hose T's as pm. The 4.7 is a great motor, my sons has about 250k and runs like a top.
The only trouble spot may be the steering racks, check for leaks and finding one with documented replacement would be a plus to me too.

@Funner It is "Funny" you mention the Steering rack etc. Most of the ones I have seen so far, the CARFAX mentions R&R of the Rack etc. Check and R&R etc... So I see what you are saying...

I really like the less weight and agility of the GX470 compared to the 80-series, plus the 5.3L V8. Do not have any experience with the 100 Series. Over the past year aftermarket parts are becoming abundant. The ATRAC of the GX470 will get you many places. A lot less space for cargo in the GX470.

Read some posts on the Toyota 120 section (120-Series Toyotas) and GXOR - GX OffRoad Public Group | Facebook to give you an idea the potential of the GX470.

Thanks for the reading suggestions here @Source3. I will give those a view! I am not familiar with the ATRAC info. Hopefully the suggestions will explain that a little. Have not seen that mentioned in the items / vehicles I am looking at currently... Have a little more home work to do I see... lol

Thanks again!

IMG_20161209_170536.jpg
Keep in mind that the 2004 and up GX has the Rear Side Curtain Airbag that the 03 does not. 2005 was first year for VVTI which upped the HP significantly, although that HP is really only noticeable at high RPM. THe Mark Levinson sound system is nice but expensive if you have to replace speakers. Non nav is nice just like the 100 series cruiser, but have proven very reliable. On the GX, you will inevitably have to replace the rear air bag suspension, but it is simple and cheap. There are also many options. Metaltech 4x4 has a full line of bumpers for the GX now and sliders. Suspension as has been mentioned before is easy.

Only real jab I would make on the GX would be the back door. I prefer the split gate on the Land Cruiser and LX over that swinging behemoth that threatens to topple the GX at full extension.o_O

Last edited:
When did that start? Our third and fourth generation 4Runners are both made in Japan.

@Living in the Past - MY BAD......... MY BAD...!!!!! I made a mistake on that Statement... lol I learned that today from a good friend of mine that 4Runners are ALL built in Japan...

Sorry for the confusion... lol

I test drove a GX and loved it - but at the time the asking price hereabouts in Baton Rouge was too high - I can see one in my future . . .

but if I found another nice LX450, I'd rather get that

2003+ LC100/LX470 come with 5 speed auto transmission and newer dash. I would try to get one of those.

LX470 and newer LC100 has AHC that can be expensive to fix. Just make sure the system is working properly and all the globes/accumulators are healthy.

Some of the 2001/2002 models has navigation with integrated AC and stereo. It is almost impossible to upgrade the stereo in these models without spending a lot of money.

I have seen a few with only timing belt and water pump replaced. Cam seals started to leak shortly after the job. The last one I saw with cam seals leak cost the owner $2500 to fix. I would prefer to see the following parts replaced:
  • Timing belt
  • Timing belt tensioner and idlers
  • Cam seals
  • Crankshaft seal
  • Water pump and thermostat
  • Fan bracket
  • Serpentine belt
  • Serpentine belt tensioner and idler

How about the 2006-2007 in terms of cam seals, crankshaft seal, fan bracket, serpentine belt, etc.?

Hello everyone, I am posting this thread up, to get your opinion on a future purchase I am considering. I decided that when my lease is up on my current vehicle (SOON), I would look for an addition to my Land Cruiser Family (FJ40).

I have been searching now for a bit, Toyota Land Cruisers, Lexus LX470's, GX470's etc. I am NOT sure which I am leaning towards, as Land Cruisers are very sparse, yet LX470's, and GX470's are prevalent. I realize the LX470 is the Lexus variant of the Toyota LC, but am wondering about things to stay away from etc..? The LX470's I am finding are approx. 2001 vintage. Any thoughts, concerns??

As for the GX470's, I am finding variants from 2003 - 2009 in the price range I am looking for, (mid teens). Any thoughts or concerns here..?

I would like to attend more outings with the group, especially overnight trips etc. I will also use the vehicle as my daily driver also. I personally am leaning towards the size of the GX470, because I will more than likely be alone on the trips, as my wife is not fond off-roading... just yet...!! However, that could change as I show her pics of the trips etc and what is out there... So the LX actually might be a "better" choice..? I Like some the vehicle utility setups I have seen in the group vehicles at meets for the LX sized vehicles... (Especially at CBT event! Wow, the setups are amazing!)

I have located a 2001 Lexus LX470 locally that was from BC originally, but the owner came to AZ. Looks to be a 1-Owner vehicle, CLEAN history (No Accidents) according to CARFAX. It has about 175K on the vehicle, and Timing Belt was done at about 141K at Big Two in Mesa! CARFAX records seem to be pretty thorough, with maintenance being preformed regularly. Any thought's or concerns..?

I located two GX470's, an 2006 with 141K & 2007 with 151K locally that I am considering going out and looking at also. Both have CLEAN CARFAX'es (No accident history) with the 06 having 2-prior owners, and the 07 having 3-prior owners.

Any thoughts on this subject would be greatly appreciated...

The answer: GX, but I'm super biased. I own one. Love it. Look up the following topics: how to look up service history on Lexus website (more frequent = more better), has the dash been replaced by the dealer (crack issues sometimes), has the prop shaft been replaced by the dealer (annoying clunk, not critical), get it with KDSS and wheel with that for a while before you remove it...it's awesome tech [puts on flame suit], has to have record of belt/pump service, whatever you do...do not buy from a certain shop in San Diego that starts with Mir..., see my soon future post on how to make the annoying sunroof clatter go away, see what the truck can do with a modest 1-2" lift and 33" tires before going hog wild on cutting and welding the frame...mine keeps up with Wranglers on most stuff, if you are loading up on gear and bumper stuff go with the brutish, basic, heavy duty OME suspension setup (delete airbags at rear), nav vs. non-nav is a major point of contention among the cognoscenti, but nav is fine...and if it breaks, there are now several folks who have figured out work-arounds. Normally I'm more good with formatting and grammar and usage, but it's 5pm, I've been keyboarding all day, and [some other excuse here] and I'm done with the niceties. Regarding your two candidate GXes: 10k miles makes no difference, look for KDSS and the bumper/dash bits. Oh yeah, if you're in AZ, message me and I'll give you the $0.55 tour around the truck!

GX requires premium fuel, if I'm not mistaken. Unsure of LX fuel requirements.... something to keep in mind.

I put everything but Bourbon in my GX. Works fine. Nothing breaks. It just prefers high-octane.

as @Funner stated the rear door is the only real negative of the GX

My GX has been the most problem free truck I’ve ever owned. I’m different than most as far as opinions go. I wanted non KDSS, non VVTI, and non nav, but I ended up with nav. KDSS is worth nothing to me since I don’t even run or have use for swaybars, as a high quality set of coil overs will do wonders. Non VVTI isn’t even noticeable, as someone said it’s only ever so slightly noticeable on the big end of the tach, and my truck is hardly ever there, and I prefer to be able to do cam seals with the cams still in the truck as you can without VVTi.
I’ve owned my GX for 5 years and it’s been offroad all over the country. Comparing a GX/LX/whatever to a solid front axle truck is foolish, it’ll never flex as well in the front, but thats literally the only thing it isn’t light years ahead on when compared to a Jeep for example.
I’m no longer a hard core wheeler and use it to get to fun places to camp, swim, and get away from people. The suspension consists of full Radflo mid travel, TC uppers, MT upper and lower trailing arms, and Dobinsons progressive long travel rear springs. It rides like a Cadillac on road, even with 700# front springs, and will scare you how fast it’ll go in a wash or rutted forest service road without spilling your double mocha soy latte.
Edit: another reason for 03-04, it’s almost comical for what you can pay for one now. They’re dirt cheap. And everyone who’s says 05 and up for the extra power and then says they run regular 87 is a walking contradiction.

3EB50AAE-CA8F-4B74-9042-27A445760AA3.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll ask the same question I have asked before in this section. Why is the 4th gen 4Runner not as good as the GX470. I know about the KDSS offered in the GX but seems as many don't nlike as those that do. When we bought our 04 4Runner new in January 04 because of a tax break given on vehicle over a certain gross vehicle weight in 03. Sequoia first choice was almost impossible to find. Those yet to be delivered to the dealer were pre paid for back in 03 to take advantage of the tax break to business owners. That included even selling Avon. The GX meant the 5,400# gross was the 4Runner didn't. But heard later Toyota revised the gross weight on the GX and was actually lower than the 5,400#. I don't care about the nicer interior as every vehicle I've owned with leather was covered with cloth seat covers. JBL sound system is fine. Tailgate is my first choice but would rather have a hatch the door. Have no use for the small third row seats in the GX. Only thing I would like is if it has true rear air which has never been offered on a 4Runner. Our 4Runner had four miles on it when we bought it. Now has 121K miles. We have a V8 4X4 Wich is full time 4WD like the rest. So if you redo the suspension and add a lift why would the GX be better off road?

I'll ask the same question I have asked before in this section. Why is the 4th gen 4Runner not as good as the GX470. I know about the KDSS offered in the GX but seems as many don't nlike as those that do. When we bought our 04 4Runner new in January 04 because of a tax break given on vehicle over a certain gross vehicle weight in 03. Sequoia first choice was almost impossible to find. Those yet to be delivered to the dealer were pre paid for back in 03 to take advantage of the tax break to business owners. That included even selling Avon. The GX meant the 5,400# gross was the 4Runner didn't. But heard later Toyota revised the gross weight on the GX and was actually lower than the 5,400#. I don't care about the nicer interior as every vehicle I've owned with leather was covered with cloth seat covers. JBL sound system is fine. Tailgate is my first choice but would rather have a hatch the door. Have no use for the small third row seats in the GX. Only thing I would like is if it has true rear air which has never been offered on a 4Runner. Our 4Runner had four miles on it when we bought it. Now has 121K miles. We have a V8 4X4 Wich is full time 4WD like the rest. So if you redo the suspension and add a lift why would the GX be better off road?
It’s not any better, it’s literally the same truck. And actually, 4Runners have better resale value. So you can get the same truck, with nicer interior and a few more creature comforts for less money, The GX is a great option.

@DTSkyCop the 4Runner is made in Tahara plant in Japan, NO US parts whatsoever, and IMO one of the biggest reasons they are so well made

I can attest to the 4.7 in my Tundra. Currently at 399K miles, solid to put it mildly!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom