Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Parts Program Discussion (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In January 2020, Toyota began the Heritage Program to begin production of no longer available parts for the A70 and A80 Supra. In July 2020, Toyota added the 2000GT to the list of vehicles with parts production support through the Heritage Program.

Earlier today I made my frequent parts order call to my local dealership to get the common response, "part # XXXXX-XXXXX that you want to purchase is NLA". I'm a resourceful guy just like everyone on this site and I can do a lot to revive old worn bits but there is a limit to what can be rebuilt. Scouring fleabay for sketchy used parts isn't my idea of a fun afternoon; I'd rather be opening a Lexus/Toyota Genuine Parts box and installing a new part into my old cruiser. Why is Toyota supporting the Supra and 2000GT and not their most iconic/flagship vehicle, the vehicle that enabled them to enter new markets around the world and was largely responsible for the success of their company?

So I called Toyota's customer service at 800-331-4331 and spoke with Carrie W. (she's awesome BTW). I pitched this request and ended up on hold while she talked with a supervisor. She came back and said the supervisor response to my question was that they haven't had any significant volume of inquiry requests for adding the FJ25 or FJ40 to the Heritage Program, but they would send the program managers my request and... if they found there was enough demand they would likely add support for these vehicles. If you'd like to have access to new OEM parts that are currently NLA then please call the number and person listed above and put in a request. We may be able to get the Land Cruiser added to the Heritage Program if we flood them with requests. I may call them once every day until they get so fed up with me that they just do what I'm asking.

Going on a three year anniversary of the post. Think it's time to flood Toyota with requests why this wonder program is not directly available to loyal Toyota owners here in ths United States?

Last edited:
Going on a three year anniversary of the post. Think it's time to flood Toyota with requests why this wonder program is not directly available to loyal Toyota owners here in ths United States?

They don’t care about American feelings of being left out. The quicker we get that the easier it is being left behind and not being able to play with the big boy Japanese folks.

This is a “pay to play” experience. No matter how harsh that sound for the average American FJ40 owner from 1980 who still thinks that Toyota owes them something.

This program is for the JDM. If you want to play, contact a JDM parts source and you can play too and get the parts that are available.

This program is for the JDM. If you want to play, contact a JDM parts source and you can play too and get the parts that are available.
By now I get that the program is geared toward JDM; however, it wasn't marketed as such when the program was first announced to much excitement.
I also question the point of having a JDM program, as there are very few 40 Series Land Cruisers in Japan. The vast majority of these vehicles were exported. The only rationale I can think of is that it's mainly a marketing exercise.

By now I get that the program is geared toward JDM; however, it wasn't marketed as such when the program was first announced to much excitement.
I also question the point of having a JDM program, as there are very few 40 Series Land Cruisers in Japan. The vast majority of these vehicles were exported. The only rationale I can think of is that it's mainly a marketing exercise.

Good points, Roger. I have seen very large 4x series gatherings in Japan and I know there is a rabid restoration culture there for the 4x. That said, none of the parts they are marketing are anything really special.

Brake lines can be hand made.

Starters can be rebuilt with OEM Toyota parts or aftermarket parts.

Tail lamp assemblies can be made to work from available OEM parts from other years with some simple electrical modifications.

Exhausts can be custom made with very little issue.

Fusible links can be easily made.

Gauges can be rebuilt.

Brake cylinders are readily available in the aftermarket.

LSPV's direct from you! :lol:

Very few engine bits and again, geared for JDM engines (B family diesels).

Anyway, it's cool in general that Toyota is making some effort for these vehicles. But when considering price-point and logistics, even I shy away from buying much of it and I've certainly spent stupid amounts of money on OEM bits over the years.

As far as I know JDM stopped getting petrol 40 series after 1974 so the late 2F starter, exhaust parts or even the 12V 1978+ oil gage can't be targeted at the JDM trucks.
So there is still something that doesn't make sense in this program...

But sometime it is as simple as the department in charge of selecting the parts and having them produced, is not the same department in charge of selling them...

There is also the option that the lazy intern charged by his boss with this task is doing whatever is easier for him... so low hanging parts and the most simple distribution...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom