Toyota fipg ok for oil pan gasket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
I put this question in the FAQ that Poser put up and haven't gotten any responses yet. And I'm doing this job tomorrow.

Is FIPG from toyota OK to use as the sealer when I put my gasket and oil pan back on tomorrow or do I need to run to the auto parts store and buy some other kind of sealer? I can't make out the name of the sealer that Poser has in his picture from carquest in his FAQ about this.:cheers:

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Yes, my buddy that has 24 years as a mechanic at a toyota dealership swears by it on everything they assemble on their engines. I used in on the OEM cork gasket on my 74 oil pan, and let it cure for 24 hours, worked perfect.

Hi All:

If you are referring to the "Toyota red" form-a-gasket goop yes it should work fine on the oil pan.

Regards,

Alan

Ok, another question about the Toyota FIPG. Poser said in the FAQ that he only put it around the arches and the corners of the pan. Would it be complete over kill to put it all along the side of the pan inbetween each bolt hole? Would that cause any problems?

One last question.....should I put the FIPG on both the engine and the pan or just the pan or just the engine? I've seen post on here where people do it both ways. Just wondering if there is a right and wrong way to do it.:cheers:

I would stick to Steve's (poser's) guidelines. That cork gasket is made to swell with the oil and seal everything. FIPG (I believe red FIPG is for gear oil applications and the black FIPG is for motor oil areas) will lock it down. Dont over do it or you may run the risk of some of the overage getting into the pan and into the oil flow.

Dave

Poser said in the FAQ that he only put it around the arches and the corners of the pan.

That is all you need...as per FSM...and really, what I suggest is overkill....but it works for me, every time. :meh:

Would it be complete over kill to put it all along the side of the pan inbetween each bolt hole? Would that cause any problems?

No need for it there....the pan is flat as is the block surface...

:beer:

I have always used the black FPIG for engine oil applications. I smear a really thin layer on both sides of the gasket and around each bolt hole. Overkill and probably not necessary, but I have never had a leak.

I have done it both ways....dabs in the corners, and more heavily around the entire gasket. I would highly recommend just using dabs in the corners. Unless you have made some guides with sawed off bolts, the oil pan gasket installation is really annoying. If you use too much FIPG it will be all over your hands, the pan, etc. Just use as per the manual and instructions, torque to spec and in the correct pattern.

That is all you need...as per FSM...and really, what I suggest is overkill....but it works for me, every time. :meh:

No need for it there....the pan is flat as is the block surface...

:beer:
Sorry to dig up a super old thread, but I'm wondering if you or anyone else can tell me if I can use the red toyota trans axle FIPG on the oil pan gasket. I've already used it to install my new RMS, not sure if I should take it out and re do it with the black Toyota FIPG. Anyone know if there's a big difference between the 2?

Sorry to dig up a super old thread, but I'm wondering if you or anyone else can tell me if I can use the red toyota trans axle FIPG on the oil pan gasket. I've already used it to install my new RMS, not sure if I should take it out and re do it with the black Toyota FIPG. Anyone know if there's a big difference between the 2?

Both black and red Toyota FIPG are really good stuff, far superior to any other aftermarket FIPG sealer I have ever found. Not sure what the exact difference is between the two, but in my experience either would work on your oil pan gasket.

I used the red on my oil pan and pushrod side cover. I know the manual said you only need sealer on the corners, but I put a very thin coat all over both sides of my gasket, and nine years later, my oil pan does not leak. Neither does my side cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom